Breaking Bad Final Half Season

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Chuck Finley, Aug 6, 2013.

1. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great episode, I think it was just as good as the previous one but in a different way. It was something we rarely see on television, it was an episode exploring the aftermath of the last six years. Were it not for the flash-forwards earlier in the season and the lack of resolution to Jesse's story, it would almost have worked as a series finale, in a similar vein to The Shield's ending.

I'm glad they brought Eliot and Gretchen back into things. I was hoping we'd see some of them in the final season but had assumed that it was too late for them to show up again, so that was a nice surprise. And the way that the episode ended with the extended theme song was a really great touch.

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

What I'm thinking at this point is that "Granite State" was our opportunity to breathe and reflect on how everything came to this, because the finale is going to be so relentless as to not give us the chance. :eek:

3. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One thing I find particularly noteworthy with this series and the handling of the ending is that by all accounts, Ozymandias would likely be where most shows would end, even if they were allowed that much closure! We've got these two, lingering but steady episodes that really cover the bases of the aftermath. I'm going on this assumption based on VG stating that Ozy is the best episode and probably contains the most exciting conclusion to Walter's story with his family.

Actually, you could take it beyond that and accept the fact the Walt is living out a purely Frankenstein-esque existence in his cottage. He should be dead and rightly so - but he's bought himself a little bit of extra time and since his hate and his money is all he has left, he'll be hunting down and destroying all that crossed him. I still think the final scene may end up with not only his death - but the money as well. I have a feeling he will success against Jack and his gang but probably not Jesse... or even Marie. I love the idea that Marie kills Walt.

Depending of course on how things settle in the final - I completely agree that Ozymandias could have been a finale. I can only hope that in the future, some shows are able to replicate this incredibly satisfying approach to narrative - provided they are able to see out their creative vision, of course.

4. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I have this picture in my head of Walter getting shot, falling into his money as he dies with a smile on his face! Would give a visual meaning to the term 'Blood Money'

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The Breaking Bad finale episodes remind me of the final episodes of Six Feet Under. There is one scene a few episodes from the end I could picture as just fading to black and ending it. But instead we get a few extra episodes to really finish up the story.

The finale is going to either really be a bloodbath or only Walt dies. i don't see a middle ground happening. Walt kills everyone, he has his money, his legacy and nothing else and lives years alone and sad. Or when he tries to kill everyone he is shot and thrown into a hole never to be found as his blue meth still ships everywhere but under a different name.

6. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The ultimate dark ending might be somehow Walt being responsible for the deaths of Walt Jr. and/or Skyler. However, the story often delivers the satisfaction that it builds on and so I highly doubt that will come to pass.

7. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Skyler maybe, but I can't see that happening to Walt Jr. He's an innocent in all this from the beginning. I highly doubt they would go there, even Gilligan.

I just hope they don't do a Sopranos with it. Wasn't cool then, sure as shit ain't cool now.

8. Chuck Finley

Chuck Finley Commander

I just hope it's not Riker on the holodeck.;)

9. bigdaddy

I know. They did all that and they still said it wasn't just a bad holodeck game. Horrible ending.

10. Robert Maxwell

Plenty of innocents have died on this show.

I was afraid they'd kill Skyler last week, when Todd and Friends showed up in Holly's bedroom.

11. Chuck Finley

Chuck Finley Commander

I was worried about that too.

12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I was more concerned Skyler would commit suicide than be killed by somebody else. Something about the way that bedroom scene was staged, it didn't seem like they would kill her there.

Breaking Bad is relentless but the deaths (Other than those in season 2) tend to be a logical consequence of the events leading up to them. At least, I would hope the writers are smart enough that if Walter Jr dies it's because Walter did something to logically cause it and not just for shock value.

That's the only way an innocent death would bother me in the finale, if it were done for shock value and not as a logical result of the story.

13. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

This is about the only thing that I am fairly certain won't happen in the finale. Not because I had a problem with the way The Sopranos ended, I didn't, it was fine for that show, but would not work for BB at all.

14. bigdaddy

What are we all going to do come Monday when there is never anymore Breaking Bad again?

I'm thinking about taking up drinking, or maybe some meth.

15. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I'm going to start watching another series I haven't seen yet, like House of Cards or Orange is the New Black or maybe even Sons of Anarchy.

That works too. ;)

16. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I don't know how much weight my opinion carries, but I do believe that all three are excellent.

17. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

What is Sons of Anarchy about? Orange is the New Black is really very good, and is probably my most anticipated returning show for next year, unless Homeland has a good comeback. With House of Cards, I saw the first episode and struggled to get into it.

The good news is that after binge-watching Dexter's final 'hurrah,' I truly believe that Walt and Jesse could reconcile and sing Disney songs to each other for the whole episode, and I still wouldn't be as disappointed as that pile of garbage.

18. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

^ Sons of Anarchy is about a outlaw biker club in California, their group dynamic and power struggles, their families and how they are affected by their criminal enterprises, drugs, etc. So, sort of similarly themed to Breaking Bad, though the characters and events are very different. But that's just my impression from seeing some commercials and clips and reading stuff online; I haven't actually seen the show yet.

From what I've read here over the years you are a man of impeccable taste, sir. Your opinion counts for a lot.

19. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My plan is to play Grand Theft Auto 5, dress Michael up as Walt, and drive into the desert in an RV.

For some extra titillation, I'll randomly crash a plane into another plane.

I'm the opposite, I watched the first episode of Orange and it didn't appeal to me, but I'm looking forward to the next season of House of Cards.

HoC is weird in that every aspect of the production is excellent, except for the writing, which ranges from passable to good. There's a reason why it was nominated for Emmys in directing, editing, cinematography, music, casting, and acting, but not writing. A great show overall and well worth a watch, but not an A+ grade show like Breaking Bad.

20. Robert Maxwell

For anyone who hasn't seen it, go watch The Wire. Do it!