Poor Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru... Oh Well!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Albertese, Jan 30, 2013.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^To be fair, we have no idea how much later that award ceremony took place. Though, they did have time to rebuild R2-D2.

2. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

What was he going to do? Start going through overacting/bawling like one of the characters on Grey's Anatomy? We cannot judge what Luke was thinking between landing and the ceremony, as we never see what happened in that period of time.

Let's not forget that Luke has many moments of sadness in ANH; aside from discovering his aunt and uncle, he was not only horrified/angered by Kenobi's "death," but clearly despondent aboard the Falcon, and sadly mentions him again to Leia before the attack on the Death Star.

I would count Luke's reaction to Vader's secret in ESB, a mix of screaming/crying, judging from the look on his face.

3. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

It is literally right after they land - there is a cut scene where Luke screams at another blue astro-tech "YOU ARE R2-D2 NOW" and then cuts off the arm of an engineer. They present him with a medal to calm him down.

4. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But, they weren't children. They were brainwashed indoctrinated magical super-soldiers, each one capable of single-handedly slaughtering entire battalions of mortal men.
    It's important to remember that without Anakin there to counter their force powers, the younglings would have effortlessly annihilated those clones.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, I doubt too much time went by. Then again, I've always wondered why they wasted time on such a ceremony. After all, the Empire now knows where the super-secret rebel base is. True, the feared Death Star is now destoryed, but a fleet of Star Destroyers showing up is still a significant threat, especially since their commanders would be pissed over the Death Star. True, it would have taken time for said fleet to arrive, but I'd have got started the evacuation right away, not assembled everyone for a ceremony, even if it was for the men of the hour.

And in the spirit of this thread, Chewie didn't seem to care about being snubbed at the ceremony.

6. JoeZhang

They would? So how were the Jedi wiped out? Because of what I remember most of them went out like punks.

7. The Wormhole

Yeah, all the off-world Jedi were easily gunned down by their clone troopers, Anakin wasn't there to negate their Force powers.

8. JoeZhang

I could be wrong about this but someone mentioned that in the adaptations, the force is explaining as actually having will and purpose and because it no longer has use for the Jedi at this point, their powers become weak.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

No, but it sounds like something one of the Sith might have said at one point, reflecting their twisted viewpoint. I don't think it's accurate. We are given to understand from TPM that the Force has a will, but I don't think "it no longer has use for the Jedi at this point".

However, the ROTS novel does say that the darkness in the Force is exacerbated by the war and that this was a factor. But the darkness in the Force proceeds from the doings of the Sith.

Ultimately the main reason for the failure of the Jedi is that they simply were caught off guard and did not realize that even their own troops would become enemies. It has also been suggested that the clones did not have malice, per se, that might have been sensed by the Jedi; they were just following orders.

Not sure if serious...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Zett_Jukassa

10. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

11. sojourner

I would guess there was a bit of hunting and destroying after the initial slaughter. I doubt Obi-Wan and Yoda were the only survivors of the it.

12. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

In fairness to epIII I should point out that Yoda and Obi-Wan monkeyed with the radio at the Temple to warn all the surviving Jedi not to come back there. So, there are evidently a bunch of them out there who dodged the clones well enough to require some hunting down on Vader's part...

--Alex

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Indeed. :rommie:

Heh. You're wise not to agree-- the 70s were about as far from grim and dark as we've ever been. Being fifteen years older would have been about perfect. I spent my teenage years in the 70s and it was wonderful. :mallory:

14. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Take it from somebody whose parents conceived him in the summer 0f '69 (I take it you were born in April of 1980? If so, we're exactly ten years apart in age.), you missed some fun. Hell, I remember being seven years old and seeing the first run of Star Wars in a Drive-in!

For our younger posters, consult a history website for THAT reference.

But, in fairness, the 1980's were an interesting time to be a teenager.

15. JoeZhang

Being young is fantastic so any modern times are great to be a teenager.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you follow the EU then there were dozens (hundreds?) of Jedi who survived the initial implementation of Order 66, and Vader spent most of the time between the two trilogies hunting down the last of them. I'm not sure but I swear I remember reading somewhere that by the time of ANH he was closing in on the last few Jedi.

17. Gaith

^ No doubt. But screen time should mean something, and the fact that we got a montage of several Jedi being killed pretty much instantly, with only Yoda surviving, suggests - or should, at any rate - that most, if not necessarily all, of the Order met similarly immediate deaths.

18. sojourner

Yeah, This:
    And this:
    Don't seem mutually exclusive or contradictory to me.

19. The Wormhole

Ki-Adi-Mundi (not sure if I got the name right, the coneheaded Jedi master) noticed something was up with his clone troopers, and was still unable to put up much of a fight against them.

20. Gaith

Aye, but the point is that the survival of a handful of Jedi here and there doesn't discredit the Reason to Hate.