Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

Trailer looks pretty badass and I wouldn't mind seeing it in 3D. It kind of has 90's TAS feel to it. I hope Dr. Connors is redeemed and not killed at the end. I like that Peter is making the web slinging material.

2. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

3. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I know people are comparing it to the Raimi films (all of which I love, even 3), but honestly after the footage I saw this one just seems to be on another level.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

They could have skipped the origin story altogether. Audience is smart enough to realize that it's a remake with new background stories for the characters.

5. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

^ They could have, but maybe, just maybe, the origin was integral to the story they wanted to tell.

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw the trailer last night. It looks good and it's different enough from the Raimi films to not bother me that it's a reboot story.

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't detect this "difference". Are the images of him swinging exclusively at night in the trailer perceived as "the difference"?
    It's not a quippier Spidey based on that trailer, not at all.
    Half it's cast was established in Spidey 3, whose climax was at night (guess it's a "dark" film now).

If they really wanted different then give us his new girlfriend as seen in the comics, Carly. Chuck MJ & Gwen. Have Peter as a substitute teacher.
    So much of this just screams Spidey 4 instead.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Spider-Man 4" was nothing like this Captain Craig. I had a chance to read what was allegedly the treatment for the thing and it was just plain awful. You could tell that Rami was burning out. While the casting was impressive...remember they had cast John Malkovitch a couple of days before the project was cancelled, Anne Hathaway was going to be in the thing as well. A lot of fans at the time were calling the thing "Spider-Man 3.5" which is essentially what it was going to be. As much as Spidey 3 is criticized, if Spidey 4 happened we would have had a "Batman and Robin" situation on our hands.

While you may not like what you're seeing based on trailers so far, please don't compare this to "Spider-Man 4" because that would have been a true disaster IMO.

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

He's not comparing it to the actual proposed script for Spiderman 4. He's saying it looks like it might as well be Spiderman 4 because it looks so similar to the other three movies.

10. Admiral_Young

Okay, then I might have misinterpreted the post. Also Carly and Peter are no longer together in the comics :) They broke up at the end of Spider-Island. Peter is currently single and hints are that Slott is slowly undoing the events of One More Day.

Again, I get all the criticisms that this film is getting. I just don't share them. I might not like the film once I see it, but so far I'm very excited for it.

11. Captain Craig

Bingo.

I know the script Sony wanted was going to have Raimi forced into doing a "Vultress" character. It was one of a few creative differences they had. He had already had Venom forced on him. I know he wanted to use Vulture but if he got Lizard also like he wanted then the studio wanted a big female role. Since his films seem to show his love of Lee/Ditko Spidey I have to think his stomach turned at bastardizing Vulture into a female to appease the suits.

Let's not forget there was a $50m 2 picture deal to Maguire. How Sony goes from stupidly insisting on female villain to this reboot is odd. Turnover at the top of Sony?

@Admiral - I'm only reading Spidey in TPB so I"m behind.

12. Admiral_Young

More like there was a final falling out between Rami and Sony. Rami was tired of the constant interference. Which is why we got the reboot. They had no desire in continuing the Rami'Verse with a different director at the helm would be my guess. I'd be interested in finding out how much of a leash Marc Webb was on or if Sony let him do his own thing. Spider-Man 4 was meant to be the first in a new trilogy, and James Vanderbilt had signed a deal to write all three films. Sony kept him on as writer of the reboot. I also believe Alvin Sargent was kept to retouch the script? I might be wrong about that. Steve Kloves wasn't brought in until much later in the process, probably by draft three or four of the reboot.

13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Carly was totally justified in dumping that lying ass Peter Parker. :)

And I loved the little bit at the end of "Spider-Island" where it's clear that 1) MJ still loves Peter like that and 2) Peter's a total idiot.

14. Captain Craig

I think we said the same thing slightly different. :techman:

15. Admiral_Young

I disliked Carly in any way and the end of Spider-Island was perfect :)

@Captain Craig...it would appear that way :)

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Isn't it kind of odd that apparently Sony nixed Raimi from using Dylan Baker as The Lizard in Spider-man 4 because he wasn't a well-enough known actor? Yet this movie has the not-very-well-known (in the US, anyway) Rhys Ifans as, er, The Lizard?!

17. Admiral_Young

It is odd but not surprising given Sony and Rami's history. New director...oh yeah you can use the Lizard. :)

18. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Lizard action figure at NY Toy Fair:

[​IMG]

The design is... interesting.

19. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

20. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Following up on my comments above, I've recently been watching Dylan Baker playing villains in Damages and The Good Wife. He would have been a great Lizard. Not that Ifans won't be good, but I can't believe a studio wouldn't have confidence in Baker.