Star Trek Into Darkness Blu-ray Problem

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TrekToday, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Target 3D Exclusive is the one to get, IMHO. It has the additional 30 minutes of features, and the BestBuy CinemaNow will give you digital access to the other 30 minutes.

From there, register your digital copy through iTunes for the interactive commentary.

Then, feature-wise, you'll have everything produced, and the most features in physical form. :)

2. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I have pre-ordered mine through Amazon. I am not really that big into features. I do like listening to the commentaries every now and then but after I watch the features I may not view them again for years. I will get the Blu-Ray for good picture quality and that is what will make me the most happy.

3. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I concur with OneBuck, and would get the Target version.

4. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ok cool. Thanks for the info.

To be fair, like most, ill listen to the commentary once maybe twice, but still, least ill get to listen without paying for it. :techman:

I totally agree. Alter packaging and whatever gift they give. But altering the actual features is just an insult to the consumer, regardless of the fact if they be a Trek fan or not.

I preordered the crashing Ent steel from play.com before the whole thing blew up. I like the film, far from perfect, i had a few gripes with it like everyone, but i liked the look of the steel. Yeah in an ideal world, a disc packed with features would have been awesome, but...

Oddly, Den Of Geek ran pretty much the exact same comments on the whole feature scattering fiasco, its a good read.

Here: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/star-trek-into-darkness/27161/the-rise-of-the-retailer-exclusive

Yeah i went into the sainsburys near me, low and behold it had what was missing. Lol. May consider, and this is going back on my word so to speak, in a few months when its reduced and ditch the pointless digi copy and put the other one in its place within the steelbook. Done. :techman:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It is possible to be a fan of both. Or, indeed, all Trek.

You must have forgotten the wailing and gnashing of teeth when TOS was being released on DVD with newly-added CGI, and everyone had to "double dip" if they wanted TOS with a choice of original SPFX or CGI. Or when Best Buy, in the USA, had exclusive bonus features included in their TNG and DS9 boxed sets of DVDs. Or when international fans got classy plastic canisters and the US only got flimsy cardboard holders that quickly fell apart?

6. Chuck Finley

Chuck Finley Commander

The target one sounds find to me, do you have to pay extra for the iTunes commentary?

7. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

No, it's included with the iTunes digital copy.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  8. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you don't purchase the Blu-Ray, there's a charge for the iTunes version; otherwise, it's free.

9. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

There's always the option to not buy it at all even if TrekCore doesn't mention that.

10. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

Yes, the correct answer for the person asking "Which version should I buy" must be "don't buy it".

11. JWPlatt

Heh, that would be the wrong answer because it ignores their question. Always answer the asked question first. Then offer alternatives.

Your sarcastic one-or-the-other retort is specious and I think you know it.

12. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  13. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

JWPlatt, I really think it's time you backed off. Aatrek and TrekCore's purpose in this instance is to report on the features offered by the various versions of the Blu-Ray sets, and as far as I know they've done just that.

You stated your opinion early on about taking a more active role in expressing displeasure about the extras offered, and that's fine, but from that point on it's up to the individual to choose whether or not to pursue such a course, is it not? The "no buy" option is always implicit in any list of purchase options; your continued insistence, however, that Aatrek and TrekCore are somehow remiss in not more prominently highlighting or recommending that option is taking things a bit far, as it's really not their job. You've more than made your position clear, and you're in real danger of becoming obnoxious if you continue to harangue Aatrek about it.

Stop now, please.

14. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Comingsoon.net generally lists these well in advance. I'm not seeing it.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I paid a hundred-bucks a set when the various series came out on DVD and then am paying for them again as they come out on Blu-ray (I also owned various VHS versions). I'm not sweating spending twenty bucks now then twenty-five bucks in six months to a year. :shrug:

16. JWPlatt

Bill Hunt of DigitalBits.com posted a link to an interview today where he says he is in contact with Paramount and working with them for a more optimistic outcome. Rather than paraphrase Mr. Hunt here, everyone should give his insightful interview a good listen. They even mention TrekCore. ;)

Article: http://www.digitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/090613_1400

Interview: http://geekleagueofamerica.com/2013...interview-with-bill-hunt-of-the-digital-bits/

Just to add a brief message from near the end of the interview, Mr. Hunt says what I've been saying:

"The movie industry thinking is we're gonna make the product we're gonna make and you're gonna buy it. So you really have to hold their feet to the fire and say, no, this is the kind of product we want and this is what we want you to deliver to us or we won't buy it." Awesome message. Awesome advocate.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  17. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

So, the weekly ads for Target and Walmart have come out.

Walmart is selling both Abramsverse films together on Blu-ray for 19.99, which is the same price as the Target exclusive for just STID. They don't say what the Walmart price will be for the STID Blu-ray alone ( though one imagines it's also 19.99 because retail pricing defies logic ). Meanwhile, Walmart's advertised sale price for the DVD is a dollar higher than the preorder price they've had online already.

I'm so confused.

18. austen_pierce

Yeeeeaaaaaahhhhhh..... You can buy all 6 original cast movies on BluRay for about $40 but TOS can't be had for less than $120 ???

19. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

You got to keep an eye out. A short while ago, all three remastered seasons were available for under 80 bucks.

20. austen_pierce

Good to know. I have TOS on DVD, but that's not the remastered version, which I covet. Will definitely hold out for a better price though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.