Cowboys & Aliens: Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel, DVD **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 29, 2011.

?

How do you grade Cowboys & Aliens?

Poll closed Feb 14, 2012.
  1. A

13 vote(s)
    22.8%
  2. B

26 vote(s)
    45.6%
  3. C

12 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. D

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  5. F

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I was hoping the involvement of Spielberg, Ron Howard and Brian Grazer and Jon Faverau would catapult this movie.

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Overall, I thought it was a decently entertaining summer action flick. Yeah, the critics are right that the movie becomes much less interesting and more pedestrian as it goes along, but I still thought it worked fairly well in the end.

3. Kytee

Kytee Commander Red Shirt

just got home from seeing this, I found it to be quite good. I liked that it felt like a western from start to finish for me. I agree with those that have said this is Harrison Fords best role in a long time, and Daniel Craig nailed the quiet brooding type.

Having several of the secondary roles fleshed out and well cast , both of Woodrows sons , the preacher, the doc ; even the dumb gang of criminals felt true ( Except, really did any of those guys seem like the stand and fight type? I figured most of them would head for the beach and Lonergan would reaturn with just his little side kick guy )

All in all, I would recommend this , fun ride imo

-Kytee

4. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was decent, but I somehow expected more given the people involved. It was too dour, not enough fun overall, and the aliens seemed way too typical of the genre. But for all its faults, it was pretty entertaining.

5. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

The cast was good and even in a small role, Walton Goggins is always great to see.

6. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed, Ford was great. He was in full-on Han Solo mode for a few parts, especially the Indian camp scene.

7. Really disappointing.

So cheesy, cliche, and sloppy at times. The script was just bad. The idea of aliens invading back in the old west days imo has potential to be something really unique.

Hate to say it but I also don't think Jon Favreau was really up to the task directing this kind of big budget film. Yes the Iron Mans were cool, but even then I don't think the action sequences were all that great, IM was buoyed more by comedy and RDJ (especially IM2 which had a particularly sloppy script). There was a whole bunch of bad staging. Characters standing around, then other characters just show up, with little craft.

I agree with everyone who says Harrison Ford was the best thing about the movie. Well done old man.

8. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I give it a B. I really enjoyed it, but there were moments where it lagged. I wasn't expecting much, and was afraid it would be too goofball for my tastes, but was pleasantly surprised--for the most part.

Overall, a very fun summer flick.

9. webb3201

webb3201 Commander Red Shirt

I had trouble staying awake through the first act, very slow and ploddiing. I am very disappointed as I enjoyed the comic and loved the casting. In the end, this movie was only a great cast away from being the SyFy movie of the week. Bad pacing, nonsensical script, and boring action sequences.

Oh, and for the money they spent, they could not find a hat that looked good on Craig? He looked like my 2 year old son wearing my cowboy hat.

10. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Did this beat The Smurfs?

11. webb3201

webb3201 Commander Red Shirt

no....the are neck and neck. Sunday would could perhaps see more family movie days, giving Smurfs the edge,

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The estimates have Cowboys & Aliens in a projected tie for #1 at $36.2m with Smurfs. The Smurfs. I have a feeling with actuals that C&A will end up #2 due to the family factor and Sunday matinees.

13. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

I gave it an A. (would have been A- if the option existed)

I really liked it. Great acting, great effects, fun story. I also liked the relative low-tech nature of the aliens. A very fun merging of genres.

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, that IS pretty sad. I never expected Cowboys to be huge, but I at least expected $40-50 million. Clearly the interest was just not there.

Either that or people got trailer fatigue from seeing the same damn ads again and again, and wanted nothing more to do with the movie. lol

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I wanted to like the movie, but the script was pretty bad. I almost busted out laughing when it's revealed the aliens are after gold. Really, gold?

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Why not gold? They never said what they were doing with it.

Here's a generic theater question: how do they project them on screen these days? Do they still use reels, or is it just a big DVD projector?

The reason I ask is that during my show, the movie was skipping and freezing. It was like watching a scratched DVD. Really annoying!

17. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It somehow seemed appropriate to me that a western with aliens was about a robbery, not an invasion.

18. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

They needed it to fight the Cybermen.

19. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I thoroughly enjoyed it.

20. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

I thought this was a great flick. I found the characters to be fun archetypes, each played really well. Rockwell had me genuinely laughing. Olivia Wilde was gorgeous and captivating as usual. She definitely looks how I'd want an alien chick to look au naturel. The action was pretty cool, too, good brawls, gunfights and all out firefights. The aliens were interesting, as opposed to the Super 8/Cloverfield retardedness I was dreading. Their tech was sweet and seemed used in a Star Wars/Firefly vein. Craig and Ford were awesome badasses, as expected. This is definitely the most fun I've had with a Ford movie in recent memory.

The upended riverboat dropped in the middle of the prairie was a great, unique backdrop and set. Overall, the film was visually striking. Ooh! And the streams of liquid gold were cool, too. As to that, I'm glad they don't say what the aliens want with the gold. Sure, they could mine practically anywhere in the Solar System, or better, their own home system more easily than fighting humans for it at the bottom of Earth's gravity well, but then we wouldn't have aliens and cowboys. The added kidnapping, mindwipe and live vivisection made the aliens all the more sinister and outright assholes you wanted to see get shot in the face with a Winchester. This was a solid western with a good integration of the sci-fi elements.

I don't know what else to say ... definitely worth the price of admission for me. I was thoroughly entertained throughout.

If you're thinking of letting professional critics talk you out of seeing this in the theatre, I'd like to speak up as a layman and say give it a chance.

A :bolian: