Where is Sybok?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Cadet49, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Cadet49

Cadet49 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sorry if someone already posted this...

Does Sybok exist in this new timeline? According to the writers, the two timelines were identical until Nero emerged from the Red Matter Anomaly in 2233, at which point they split.

In Star Trek V, when Kirk and McCoy ask Spock about Sybok, he said, "SyboK's mother was a Vulcan princess, but we were raised as brothers."

Where is he in the beginning of the movie - I got the impression that Spock was Sarek's only child in this movie, though there really isn't anything to discount Sybok's existence ... (maybe he ran away from home or something by this point, to protest the Vulcan way of life,or is attending a private school?)

Just curious...

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that we won't be seeing Sybok again, because nobody gives a crap about Sybok.

3. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

^Agreed.

That being said, it really boils down to three possibilities-
    1) Sybok was rescued by the Enterprise. Obviously a rather unlikely possibility given that he's never mentioned.
    2) Sybok was on Vulcan. Dead.
    3) Sybok wasn't on Vulcan. How things will unfold is then somewhat dependent on how galactic events unfold, as we have no idea whether Nimbus 3 will exist, or in what form.

4. Nerd unRage

Nerd unRage Commander Red Shirt

I'm thinking #2 on Sybok. Considering the whole entire planet was wiped out and only a handful (relatively speaking) of Vulcans exist, Sybok more than likely doesn't exist. Until someone decides to bring him for some random reason that never made much sense in the Prime Universe.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I noticed the absence of both Sybok and Sam Kirk (before I found out he was Johnny) in the movie, but I can see why they were excluded - they would have been unnecessary complications in an already overloaded movie.

It doesn't mean they don't exist. Sybok was older than Spock, and may well have moved out before he was born. Maybe he moved back in with the Sarek clan for a few months or years after "Yesteryear" (and the remade scene in STXI), only to do something and be exiled. Of course, being exiled would mean he's one of the lucky ones in the STXI timeline.

I liked Sybok (I thought STV was watchable), and think the character has potential. I think Bob Orci even mentioned him once or twice on trekmovie.com, and he seems to think he could be out there somewhere. At least, there's been no "Sybok doesn't exist!" decree.

6. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

In ST5, Spock says he no longer is "the outcast boy you left behind all those years ago", suggesting that the joint raising of the two sons of Sarek ended years ago, and more specifically at the time when Spock decided to go outcast and join Starfleet.

So, even though Sybok in ST5 is seen wandering around the galaxy, spreading heretical ideas, it would seem he was the model son and in all probability would stick close to Vulcan and perhaps also to Sarek, at least during the years immediately following Spock's joining Starfleet. That increases the odds that he'd die in STXI.

OTOH, if Sybok was on Vulcan, he certainly wasn't seen with Sarek and Amanda, which basically decreases the odds of him actually being there. Unless we argue that he couldn't easily transport to the Sarek residence or the underground bunker when Nero was jamming everything, and was stuck at his office somewhere on the other side of the planet...

OTTH, Spock didn't appear to hate Sybok or anything: it was Sybok who severed the brotherly relationship, not Spock. So if rescuing Sybok were an issue, Spock would go for it in STXI. And he didn't.

Or did he? We never learn that the Enterprise wouldn't have saved other, non-underground Vulcans while Spock was spelunking. Spock might have arranged for the rest of his family to be rescued, especially if Nero's jamming meant that they'd be at the Sarek estate which, due to the same jamming, would have to lie fairly close to the bunker.

So we can argue the odds something like four ways. Anything is possible - and moreover, anything can be made probable, too!

Timo Saloniemi

7. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4) Sybok was on one of the other shuttles etc. seen departing Vulcan in a big hurry, and is alive by the skin of his teeth.

Since Sybok is likely older than Spock, even if they were raised as brothers, Sybok may easily have already been estranged from Sarek by the time of Spock's youth seen in the movie, and likely have been going on and off planet on his own path, perhaps seeing Spock occasionally when staying with Spock and Amanda at their home on Vulcan.

8. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually, we see a number of Vulcans in sickbay getting medical attention. Those 10,000 (estimated) that survived likely had their own vessels, or the Enterprise may have been beaming up survivors using the other Transporter pads on board.

9. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

Let's just assume he was on Vulcan when it was turned inside out and never speak of him or STV:FF again.

10. Satyrquaze

I was under the impression that those 10,000 or so, were all off planet, not counting the couple dozen that the Enterprise beamed up.

11. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Ditto.

12. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

There's a deleted scene on the ST5 DVD featuring Spock's second, bonus Pain, where Nimoy pitches his voice up as if he were a child and reenacts the moment he and Sybok last saw each other. Luckenbill spoke normally, suggesting he was already an adult at the time. Sybok talks about how he's being exiled from Vulcan as an enemy of the state for speaking out against Surakian orthodoxy.

If we assume things still happened more or less as they did with Sybok, he was long gone by the time we saw Spock decline acceptance to the Vulcan Science Academy. Depending on how you view Nimoy's comical attempt to impersonate a child, he may have been gone by the time Spock beat the crap out of the Vulcan bullies.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did Sybok exist in the so-called Prime timeline?

14. Bob Karo

Bob Karo Captain Captain

This.

I always kinda liked the idea that most of STV was a campfire story.

15. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Gene Roddenberry says no. I believe Gene on this one.

16. Satyrquaze

Doesn't Gene also say that STV didn't really happen?

17. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Even better.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gene Rodenberry's views on canon changed frequently. He didn't like STV, he didn't like STVI (he supposedly hated the idea that some Starfleeters might be racist), he decanonized the animated series (although some say that was mainly to do with legal troubles involving Filmation studios and also Larry Niven's Kzinti), and he also wasn't fond of TOS season three. The comments about Gene's canon views from Paula Block in the book "Voyages of Imagination" (I think it's on Wikipedia's Trek canon article too) are fascinating.

19. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I predict Sybok's going to be a central character in the next movie, played by Ben Stiller.

20. Nerd unRage

Nerd unRage Commander Red Shirt

Surely you jest!