Anti-Spam question error.

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by johnno56, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnno56

johnno56 Ensign Newbie

Your anti-spam question, during the registration procedure, is incorrect. I was asked, "Who was the captain of the original Enterprise?", and was prompted with the partial answer of "James. T. _____"

The captain of the original Enterprise was actually Captain Christopher Pike. Refer to the original pilot, "The Cage". Which was later released as a two part episode, which introduced Kirk as Captain, called "The Menagerie" Parts 1 and 2.

Pike was later promoted to Fleet Captain and relinquished command to Kirk.

Also refer to "The Star Trek Encyclopedia - A Reference Guide to the Future". Published by "Pocket Books" ISBN 0-671-86905-1. Page 242.

2. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Well if you want to get really picky, the original Captain of the Enterprise was Robert April from 2245-2250(ish). He was established in a TAS episode.

However there is only one Captain who was known as James T so assume that the question refers to that individual.

3. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Never knew that Kirk was "introduced" in that episode, I always thought it was in WNMHGB. Learn something new every day. :confused:

4. johnno56

johnno56 Ensign Newbie

Bry,

I stand corrected. Captain Robert T. April assumed command of the Enterprise when it was first launched in 2245. Gene Roddenberry had used the character name for the ship's commander in his first proposal for Star Trek, written in 1964.

Well spotted!

Regards

J

5. johnno56

johnno56 Ensign Newbie

Green Shirt,

If you watch The Cage, you will notice that Spock, who is included in the away-team on Tallos IV, actually smiles when he touches a plant that then produces sound. Spock was originally going to be green as well as "pointy-eared".

I love bits of trivia like that....

Regards

J

6. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

No. It was Archer

:p

7. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

The first captain we see is Kirk, all others, in various time periods, came later.

8. johnno56

johnno56 Ensign Newbie

Rear Admiral Finn,

Oh dear! Looks like I must have dozed off at the keyboard again. I had clean forgot about the NX-01. Again, I stand corrected. As a side note: IMHO, "Enterprise" series, was too short. Just when it gets really interesting, poof!. Ah, it was still Star Trek, after all. We can always hope for re-runs and box-sets.

Well spotted!

Regards

J

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

And it was Robert Winter in the shooting script for "The Cage".

10. johnno56

johnno56 Ensign Newbie

Rear Admiral T'Girl,

If you are referring to the aired episodes of "The Original Series", then you are correct. Without going into a debate about "which Captain is better", I believe that Jame T., even though TOS was relatively short lived, remains the most remembered captain of the Enterprise (imho).

One thing that I always found amusing about Kirk, in more than just a few episodes, he somehow managed to tear his uniform. You would think that the material used in the future would be impervious to tearing.

Regards

J

11. tafkats

tafkats Vice Admiral Admiral

You knew the intended answer and were able to provide it, so as an anti-spam question, it seems like it served its purpose.

12. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Yeah, It's not a nerd knowledge test. The question is supposed to prevent pure spam accounts from being able to post. It's meant to be answerable by anyone else. It isn't necessary to nitpick it. However, if you think it should be changed then that is something that should be raised in the "Questions, Suggestions & Feedback" subforum at the bottom of the board. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.