Dredd - Grade, Review, Discuss, Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ethros, Sep 8, 2012.

?

How would you rate Dredd?

1. Excellent

50.0%
  2. Good

38.8%
  3. Average

5.0%
  4. A bit poor

3.8%
  5. Awful

2.5%
  1. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It'd be a DAMN shame if this doesn't get greenlit for a sequel once the final worldwide BO numbers come back.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm very late to this thread but glad I finally saw this film yesterday afternoon. Apologies in advance for any repeated thoughts.

Grade: A- / Excellent

I know very little of Judge Dredd and I'm a comic book geek. I've just never fully gotten into him. The stories I've read have always involved a crossover. The Batman/Dredd ones are the ones that stand out. Despite thinning out my monthly comic reading I may try the IDW Judge Dredd series hitting shelves in the coming weeks, due November.

I'm to understand that the original tone of the comic had a certain campiness to it and that's why the comic relief in the '95 Stallone version with Rob Schneider's character in tow as the sidekick was supposed to be accepted. I don't hate that film but I don't love it either.

So Karl Urban is doing this film in the starring role of Dredd and Lena Heady as the drug pushing lead foe has me curious. I was surprised that the RottenTomatoes meter had it at 77% and felt that the population who uses that meter as a guide would turn out to a respectable level---they didn't. Odd, they rushed to Taken 2 with 20% RT score.

I saw this yesterday afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed the film. People like to pretend as if The Raid is the first movie ever to utilized the concept done again in this film. Maybe the first one for the whole film, I'll grant that, but the final third of Punisher War Zone is this same premise. People on movie sites forget that, quality of the film is irrelevant--it does the building siege premise for 1/3 of the film.

I was surprised by how much this film made you care about and empathize with Judge Anderson's character imo. Also, despite Urban being nearly fully covered under the mask he conveyed with his available facial tone and body posture his shift in attitude towards her.

One could say the movie is actually about Judge Anderson and Olivia Thirlby who I've never really noticed before, in such films as No Strings Attached or Juno cause she was just the friend of the main lead, really shines in this role to my surprise.

As of my review, some 19 days after release the film has only managed to muster up $12.8m US domestic. It should've made that it's OW to be honest. It's WW total is $22.9m on a $50m budget. I predict this film will find a cult status on home video but it's too bad cause I think more films, in this world, with Urban and Thrilby as Dredd & Anderson would be great fun. Those involved said another film would've explored life outside the walls, in the Scorched Earth. I'd like to have seen that.

While you still can, GO--SEE-THIS MOVIE---NOW!!
    I doubt DVD/BR sales will save this and allow for a sequel sadly.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm, I hadn't heard about the IDW series, I might have to check that out.

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I knew IDW was doing a Judge Dredd series, but wasn't sure if it had started or if it hadn't, when it would.

Yeah, I might check this out myself.

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Why not check out the original material? After 40 years there's certainly no shortage of it! ;)

6. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did people know who Luke Skywalker was before Star Wars came out?

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I wonder if they would of made money with alot more 2D showings + a 15 cert instead of 18 (am sure they could of kept a lot of the gore in it).

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Maybe, but the point is, why should it have to? How have we got to a point where only 12A pics are really, really succesful? I'm tired of everything being watered down. I'm not saying every film should be ultra violent and full of harsh language but there needs to be more choice out there.

It may have tanked but I do at least admire Dredd's integrity (aside from the 3D thang which was an unfortunate neccesity).

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Indeed and at least they did something interesting and imaginative with the 3D, which is more than you can say of most 3D films of recent years.

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

The obvious thing to do is a Judge Death movie.

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I thought the 3D was dreadful (no pun intended). The film had no need for it and it did affect ticket sales IMO since 3D costs more and the 2D selections were very very limited.

12. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That would confirm my suspicion about 3D being a catch-22: Filming in 3D allows small-budget pictures to get "free" funding, but it means really poor sales if it's not a well-known IP.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well I feel I've done my bit, seen the film twice and bought the soundtrack :)

By the way, I've been meaning to ask people's views on something. Early on in the film, when the Chief Judge gets Anderson to tell her who she's standing with she describes Dredd, and then frowns and seems to be about to say something else about him when the Chief Judge cuts her off. What were people's ideas about this?

I assumed Anderson was picking up on the fact that Joe is a clone, that seems the obvious explanation, just wondered if anyone had other ideas/had heard anything different?

14. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^I suspect it might have to do with what Dredd calls the "Big Lie". See: "A Letter to Judge Dredd"
    Urban has said in interviews that this is a direction he'd like to explore in any future films and the filmmakers have said they wouldn't tackle the dark Judges until at least the third film, with the second being about the Cursed Earth, so I think "Tale of the Dead Man" must have been on their minds. A shame that it's unlikely to happen now.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Hmm, tale of the Dead Man would be hella tricky to do though, given you not only have to introduce the Dark Judges, but also Krakken and the Judda as well! If they had the opportunity then the first of second Death story would be best (maybe the first with added Fire/Fear/Mortis. Hell of an ending too,
    with Anderson encased in Boing (tm) with Death inside her head!

16. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed that. Stylish, simple, great soundtrack, doesn't try to be anything else. It was the positive word of mouth that got me into see it. Shame if there is no sequel. Go see it people!

Edit: I had no choice but to see this is 3D. Was pissed off that I had to pay extra for something I didn't want. I wonder how many others this might have put off.

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

They wouldn't have to use every last detail, just the broad strokes. Indeed, it's best to cherry pick from the early Dark Judge stories and roll it all into a sort of Necropolis/Dead Man mash-up. You don't need Judda or Krakken or even McGruder to do it. The core plot would be along the lines of say: Dredd has taken the long walk into the Cursed Earth (possibly at the end of movie #2) then all hell breaks loose in MC1 as the Dark Judges begin to reshape this world in their own image.
    The rest of the movie is Anderson fighting for survival and Dredd making his way back to take out whatever Mcguffin is the cause of it all.

You don't even need to use the dimension jump angle. What if they gain access to this world though a powerful psychic? If not Anderson herself then maybe a friend, or some mutant kid? It's a good way to keep Anderson in the film and show more of Psi Division and not have to come up with some reason why scientists are fecking around with dimensional portals--which let's be honest, is rather incongruous with the image of a city hanging on my it's fingernails with which we were presented in 'Dredd'.
    Or what if they change the origin altogether and make Death a real city Judge who went out on the long walk and came back a powerful mutant?

That's just off the top of my head. There's all kinds of directions to approach this from.

18. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

According to Amazon the UK DVD/Blu-ray is released on 14 January.

A definite purchase

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    I'll pick it up eventually. Maybe as a $10 or less DVD at some point during '13.

20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll be getting it for sure. I have seen it twice now and absolutely love it...and the score is brilliant, one of my favourites of the year as well.