Will blu-ray play on an HD monitor?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Starfleet Engineer, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Starfleet Engineer

Starfleet Engineer Vice Admiral Admiral

I recently bought a new computer and a 22 inch HD monitor. I've noticed that Empire Strikes Back doesn't look as good on it as on my TV. I looked on the ESB case and it says it was done in 16:9. Can most HD monitors be adjusted to make non-HD DVDs look good? Also, will blu-ray DVDs run on an HD monitor?

2. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

Are they actually marketing computer monitors as "HD" now?

I'm not exactly sure about what you're asking.... the 16:9 ratio has nothing to do with whether or not it's in HD resolution or not. Computer monitors have been able to display at higher resolutions than 1080p for 20 years. If you have a Blu ray player in your computer it will certainly display Blu ray movies, otherwise why would they put it in your computer?

As to the picture quality, two things: you can't expect a 22" monitor that probably cost the manufacturer $60 to make to look as good as your Samsung 40" LCD HDTV or whatever you're comparing it to. Also, your computer no doubt allows you the capability (probably through the display settings of your video card since it's a new computer) to adjust the contrast, colour, brightness, etc. of your monitor. Right out of the box with the factory setting it's going to look really pale and a bit washed out because that's how people like it when they browse the Internet or use various applications, because otherwise the whites on the screen will burn your eyes out.

3. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Indeed they are. It confused me the first time I saw it as well.

4. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Yeah, video cards and sound cards now come marked as "HD," too. :lol: Because 1920x1080 is so high-res nowadays!! Not sure what qualifies as "HD" audio, though. 96KHz?

5. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a 16 year old "HD monitor" in my basement then, I should try to sell it to a stupid neighbour as a home entertainment solution.

6. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not completely just marketing... I'd expect any monitor or video card labeled "HD" to also support HDCP over DVI, which older hardware doesn't. And you'd need that to play Bluray content.

7. Starfleet Engineer

Starfleet Engineer Vice Admiral Admiral

OK, I don't know the terminology or technology of monitors, so I'm probably using the wrong words and asking the wrong question. Let me try again.

On YouTube, you get the option of clicking on 360p, 480p, and 720p and sometimes 1080, I believe. I'm assuming you choose one of these settings depending on what your monitor can handle and/or because of what setting the video was recorded in. Again, I don't know. What I'm wondering is if these YouTube options are available on most monitors. I quickly went through the buttons on my new monitor and didn't see it, but I didn't go through all the menus. So, when I played a DVD of Empire Strikes Back (which picture is high quality on my non-HD TV) and it looked like I was watching an old VHS tape of it on the monitor, I was wondering if monitors allow you to adjust down to 480p or something to make it look better. Am I full of crap or is that something you can do with monitors?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  8. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Can you get around that restriction with AnyDVD HD?

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

In the case of YouTube, I think those options are more to do with what your internet connection can handle, not your monitor. The higher resolution, the better the picture, the more bandwidth is needed to watch them.

10. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Yeppers. Let's say you play a video thats 1080p but your monitors resolution isnt set that high. All that will happen is the clip will be adjusted to fit your screen. It'll still look nice

11. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

That depends on the original video more than anything else. They won't offer you the 1080p option if you uploaded a video from a cheap mobile phone.

12. farmkid

farmkid Commodore Commodore

If it looks like it's being displayed at low resolution, (VHS-like, as you describe), it may well be an HDCP problem, as someone else mentioned above. HDCP is the encryption scheme used for HD content. I haven't payed attention to this for a while, but I remember a big deal being made of it back when the first HDCP-compliant video cards and monitors were being sold. In order to display HDCP-protected content, everything in the chain, from the Blu-Ray drive to the monitor must support HCDP. So, if your video card or monitor is older and doesn't support it, or if you're using a VGA cable instead of a DVI cable, the video will be down-sampled to 480p.

Have you tried any other Blu-Ray movies? If not, I suggest you try that. If they also look bad, you may need to upgrade your video card or monitor, or see if there is a workaround.

13. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

Pretty sick of the snooty "we've had HD for years!" attitude of a certain group of nerds. Yes, fine, wonderful - but tell me, where did you get your 1080p content in the 90s? Anyone? No? Aye.

14. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I've noticed this in a few threads today. What's with the sudden wave of people calling other TrekBBSers 'nerds' ?

No offence Jim, but a phrase about pots and kettles springs to mind. Most of us here are nerds, myself included. I thought the point of this board was to get away from labels like that.

15. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

16. Arrqh

Why, in games of course. 1600x1200 would actually be higher pixel density then 1080p if you cropped it to 4:3. Same with 1024x768 compared to 720p. It is the duty required of all of us members of the glorious PC master race to point this out to the dirty console peasants at any possible opportunity.

[​IMG]

17. Jim Steele

Right, 'cos we were all running games at 1600x1200 in the 90s. Even if we were, it's not just about the resolution you render your geometry at - but I don't expect the "glorious PC master race" (Yahtzee taketh the piss, btw...) to see beyond their silly numbers-obsessed way of looking at things any time soon.

I do hope you're not genuinely one of these tiresome anti-console PC snobs, because it's boring and turgid. I'm much more concerned with playing good games than I am with quibbling over the hardware they happen to run on ;).

Regards,

A Long Time PC Gamer

Hermiod:
    Calm down eh?

18. Arrqh

I would have thought by referencing him it should be obvious that I was as well, but I guess this is the internet after all... :p

19. Jim Steele

I did wonder, that's why I asked.

You know as well as I do the number of irony deficient people who post pretty much what you did and believe every word. :scream:

20. Arrqh

Well it's still somewhat true in terms of pure resolution. My memory is pretty fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure I remember running 1024x768 pretty commonly in the mid to late 90's, with 16x12 starting to show up a bunch at the very tail end.

But of course, as you said there's a lot more to graphics then just pure resolution. But if we're talking purely about the capabilities of the display device you'll still find people who will cling to their late 90's era ~22", 70lbs CRT monitor.