Firefox and Logins

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Amaris, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I must say, this one has me stumped. Almost all of my sites are auto-logins, whereas I just show up, and Firefox (24.0) fills in the username and password, and I log in. Lately, I've been trying to log into sites like GoDaddy, and Netflix, among many others, only for the site to tell me that my username and/or password is incorrect. So I type them in manually, and they're still "incorrect," even though I know these passwords, I haven't changed them in such and such time, and they normally work.

Anyway, so I'll start to go about the recovery process, and suddenly I'm logged in. This only started happening after my recent update to Firefox 24.0, so that's where I'm beginning my investigation.

Does anyone have anything similar going on?

2. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I downgraded from Firefox 22 back to 21 due to some small, but incredibly stupid changes.

I've said it before, they're making changes just for the sake of making changes now and with so many rapid updates, they're as likely to screw something up as make an actual improvement.

If any other browser had the add-ons & the comfort level as Firefox, I'd be long gone. It may happen soon anyway.

My advice is, downgrade back to 23 and see what happens. Make sure you copy all your Firefox related folders as a precaution.

3. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I just wish they would stop with the rapid release scheduling. We're at v24 as of now. That's a nice high score, Google would be proud, so let's go back to the old schedule.

4. Ar-Pharazon

If every minor update requires a new version, it probably wouldn't matter if it was a full number, or .0.0.1, they'd still be making needless changes every 5 minutes.

Maybe this numbering scheme has gone to their heads, I don't know.

5. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Sounds like they're using a test-first development model without sufficient regression testing.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

J, have you ever considered 1Password? That's much better for auto-logging-in than any browser. And more secure, besides.

7. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I'd actually never head of it. I'll check it out, thanks. :)

8. Mr. Laser Beam

9. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Ouch. It's $40! I appreciate the recommendation, but I'll pass. ;)

10. Mr. Laser Beam

^ It's worth it...

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I have no idea, but upgrading to 24.0 wiped everything from my browser, all the settings, bookmarks, addons, everything. Just did a full factory reset of the thing.

12. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Yeah, seems like they wanted a rapid release model like Google uses for Chrome, but that model is really poor if you don't have good safeguards in place to prevent regressions or you are lacking adequate developer discipline.

I can speak from experience that it is not at all easy to move from the "infrequent major release with frequent patches" model to "rapid release cycles with no patches" model and not face negative consequences for users.

13. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Firefox and Logins? They made some great music back in the '70s. :p

14. Tralfaz

Tralfaz Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I am way back on Firefox 17 at home and don't have those types of problems at all.

Al

15. Ar-Pharazon

^ And even 17 was after the quick release thing started. Looks like they'll stop supporting 17 in a few months, if that matters.

They try to spread fear about security risks if you don't upgrade, but if you've got internet security & anti-virus running and up-to-date, you should be fine.

16. Into Darkness

Into Darkness Captain Captain

The only problem I have with my firefox is when I start it up it will always freeze for a while and then pop a box up telling me that shockwave isn't responding. I have to click on either stop or continue script to get the box off ad get it running properly.