Which Star Trek movie has got the most plot holes? And the least?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Lance, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

In TMP it should have been either Voyager 1 or Voyager 2 and not a fictional Voyager number. :vulcan:

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

When TMP was made, they expected the Voyager program to continue.

3. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Thanks.:techman: That explains that.
    However, to play it safe they still should have used 1 or 2.;)

4. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, but the "different Vulcan procedure" existed, so Kirk simply took Sarek's information--and based on his belief that Spock might be revived (strngly implied in his TWOK log), it was no great leap to assume Spock's living soul could have its physical home again.

There's nothing in that final scene suggesting sentimentality or anything else--other than a belief that Genesis might restore spock--particulalry since a conscious choice was made to send Spock's tube there, instead of space. Further, Kirk just witnessed the effect of Genesis literally creating life from a lifeless world, so his log entry reads as acknowledging the technology's potential--that Spock might benefit from the Genesis effect.

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

He simply assumed that Spock (or rather Spock's body's matter) would be a seed for new life. As they discussed before they were attacked by the Reliant, Genesis would erase existing life and reorganize it (that was Spock's own comment that got McCoy pretty upset).

Had Nimoy never returned to the franchise, Kirk's log entry would still be the same, but Spock would have stayed dead.

6. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    That's not true. They initially were supposed to be part of the Mariner program, and then there were supposed to be 4 probes but that ended in 1972, way before TMP was penned.

7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

In STIII, Kirk had one other source informing his seemingly illogical decisions--Spock's own katra, in McCoy's body. "You left me on Genesis...why did you do that?"

8. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Not only that -- as bad as it is -- but the entire set up at the beginning of the movie doesn't match the pay off. Kirk is set up as being unhappy in a quiet retirement. We're practically beaten over the head with the idea that Kirk needs to be right in the middle of the action. So what, according to the Nexus, is his greatest wish? A quiet retirement. WTF?

Picard, on thje other hand, has been thinking about the family life he sacrificed. But he's the one trying to convince Kirk to leave the Nexus. Logically, the way the movie was set up, it should be Kirk convincing Picard to go back. I understand this is a TNG movie and the writers wanted the hero, Picard, to take the active role. But, in that case, they needed an entirely different story setup for both characters. Just criminal writing, throughout the film.

It's a pity "Generations" is such an irredeemable mess, as I thought it had the most potential of all the TNG films. I only saw "Nemesis" once, so I don't remember the plot holes, but that movie would have had to work hard to have as many holes as "Generations."

9. Belz...

Wow, I never caught that. Good post.

10. chevron

chevron Lieutenant Red Shirt

Lots of the movies suffer from "the Enterprise is the only ship in range".

Back in the 1980s I remember reading a review of III that made some very good points about the plot. For example why wouldn't the Federation authorise a ship to go and get Spock's body. And why,if Genesis is so sensitive, would they not send more ships to guard it. But looking past that, why do they even need his body? McCoy has his katra so why not just take McCoy to Vulcan? They don't know that Spock's body is alive at that point.

There's a line in IV that goes something like "the president said the transmissions were directed at the oceans" and then they deduce they were directed at humpback whales. But as far as I remember the president doesn't actually say the transmissions were directed at the oceans! (I guess a line was cut.)

Generations is just a mess, but I will sum up my thoughts with "Why doesn't Soran just fly a ship into the nexus?" It worked for him before. And i remember the Nitpickers guide made a very good point that even if the star blows up the MASS of the star is still centered on the same place it was in, therefore the nexus wouldn't change course.

11. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Wel nemesis was really really bad

12. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Chekov said that Khan put the eels into their bodies. McCoy had no way of knowing that he meant their ears. He also had no surgical equipment with which to remove the eels, which had integrated themselves into the central nervous system.

Grissom may have been destroyed on the far side of the planet. Also, Kirk asked Chekov to perform a short-range scan of the area, so Enterprise may not have cast a wide enough net to pull in any information about Grissom's demise.

Several novels mention different types of auto-destruct sequences used to destroy a ship. Warp-core breaches are used in deep space. Ringed explosions are used near a planetary body to avoid taking out the planet when the ship explodes.

--Sran

13. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Yes, that I do recall. :)

14. Belz...

Ah, yes. I remember noticing that.

15. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

From http://www.chakoteya.net/movies/movie4.html:

16. Belz...

That's a rather vague statement to interpret as the transmissions being directed at the oceans, considering the worldwide damage they seemed to be causing.

17. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Anything powerful enough to disrupt an entire planet's ocean system will probably disrupt other environmental phenomena, too.

--Sran

18. Belz...

19. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Indeed...I don't think of Nemesis as having "plot holes" so much as just being stupid.

20. Belz...

Well Nemesis had a good premise, and good ideas, really. Finally getting the Romulans into the movies, the Reman uprising, the clone infiltrator (not B4, Shinzon), the implications of self...

...unfortunately it was poorly executed on almost every level. It feels like an overly-long TNG episode. The battle at the end is pretty cool, but even it has problems.