Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I personally visiualize REYES as an ARMAND ASSANTE type.My choice for DR.FISHER would be RICHARD GANT(recently in DEADWOOD).as for QUINN and PENNINGTON I was thinking GARY BUSEY and EWAN MC GREGOR.

2. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

I somehow always find myself picturing Cyrano Jones as Quinn. McGregor is perfect for Pennington, though, and I very much like David Mack's choice of Morgan Freeman as Fisher.

3. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

That's really nice. Somehow, I always pictured her hair as being a little neater, but otherwise that image is quite close - not to mention visually compelling. I wish Mack would use bold colors more often in his illustrations.

4. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Dunno if I posted it in this forum or another one before but anyway here is my choice for Lieutenant Ming Xiong from Vanguard: Edison Chen

Rarely do I a picture an actor for a character in a Trek book (except for those who appeared in the role on TV) but I remember reading David Mack's 'cast' for the first Vanguard book and saw that he chose Jet Li. Each time I read one of these books I could never visualise Li in this role. He always seemed too old for me to be that character. But the more I thought of this character the more I pictured Edison Chen from Infernal Affairs II, where he plays a character who is hard to read but has a lot of conflict going on his mind. He also seems to be the right age. Just my two (euro)cents worth.

5. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Billy Bob Thornton is Quinn, body and soul, and Tommy Lee Jones is Reyes.

6. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Quinn is not a redneck.

7. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

You're typecasting. I'm not. Thornton has the range to do Quinn very well.

8. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

I just don't see Billy Bob as Quinn. Not at all. I can actually picture Howard Hessman (from WKRP) as Quinn.

9. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

I can easily picture Thornton from "Bad Santa" as Quinn. Reyes, though, immediately brings Edward James Olmos to mind.

10. NathanielM

NathanielM Captain Captain

I do... the guy is from Divinci's Inquest. He's like internal Affairs and part Coroner for internal crimes

The other one i am not entirely sure i think she was on LA LAW, but i am not sure.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I wholeheatedly agree on both points.

12. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

I opened this thread by mistake the other day (I have an old laptop and the left click sometimes takes a while to register and the cursor's not where I left it when it does!) and enjoyed reading it. Way back on page 4 Christopher asked this question:

There never was an answer, so I offer it now as a challenge - who would you cast as these characters?

For Ael, I don't know who I imagined when I first read the novel but now I hear the voice of the Romulan captain from the TNG episode where Troi becomes a member of the Tal Shiar.

I shall have to read the novels again to see whose voices I hear in my head for Naraht and K's'tlk.

Any suggestions, anyone?

13. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For Naraht, I would cast a large rock. (Not to be confused with the actor The Rock, who doesn't really have the range the role demands).

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

14. Jolaris

Jolaris Commander Red Shirt

Ah, you are referring to Carolyn Semour
    According to IMDB she has actually played five different roles in Trek, twice as two different Romulan Commanders.
    Actually one of my favourite actresses of all times, much thanks to that single episode.

I can definitely see her as Ael, she seem to have gotten somewhat typecasted as a woman in a powerful position.
    She has played: Commanders, Senator, Village Leader (she even is the voice of Mon Mothma in several SW games...)

She does have that strong presence that makes you immediately know that this is someone you could follow into death for.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hmm, I don't see Carolyn Seymour as the type for Ael. As I recall, Ael is described as being a similar type to her cousin, the Romulan Commander from "The Enterprise Incident" -- small, wiry, even elfin. If she weren't already known for another role, I'd say Kate Mulgrew might be a good choice.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry for changing the topic here but I've had idea but I'm not sure if it would really work or not. I just started watching both Homicide Life on the Street and Rescue Me and now I keep thinking that Callie Thorn (Det. Laura Ballard on HLS, Sheila on Rescue Me, and Pam Mahone on Prison Break) could be a good T'Prynn, at least appearance wise. I don't know why she came to mind, but for some reason she has.

17. regemet

regemet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What about Emily Procter(Calleigh Duquesen in C S I Miami) as Captain Kat Muller of U S S Trident

18. The_Emperor

The_Emperor Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Vladimir Kulich as Admiral Leonard James Akaar. That's something I'd very much like to see. The man definitely looks the part, being 6'5" and looking very much like a Capellan. Add to that, he's a great actor. He was fantastic as Buliwyf in 'The 13th Warrior', as well as The Beast in 'Angel'. Here're a couple of pics of the guy so you all can see what I mean. The man, without a doubt, IS Admiral Leonard James Akaar.

[image]http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/137/137974/folders/233373/2204041Kulich01.jpg[/image]
    [image]http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/137/137974/folders/233373/2204042Kulich02.jpg[/image]
    [image]http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/137/137974/folders/233373/2204043Kulich03.jpg[/image]

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd love to see him skewering Jem'Hadar soldiers with a kligat.

19. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Quoted so people can see the pictures.

I hadn't thought of him as Akaar (I always imagined a white version of Michael Clarke Duncan), but I definitely can see Vladimir Kulich as Akaar.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Deffinitely, he's almost exactly what I've been picturing.