State of Trek according to Entertainment Weekly

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by HaplessCrewman, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But Harve Bennett didn't write Star Trek II : /

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

As executive producer he had a great deal of input. I guess I should have said, are Jack B. Sowards and Nick Meyer hacks? Is J.J. Abrams? Etc.

3. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Don't think it's a "JJ" thing at all.

The writers provide the tree, JJ just decorates it.

4. Yanks

It's not. Not a rehash of Space Seed either.

My opinion is, if they'd ended it differently (no TWoK death scene rip-off) this movie would be just as universally praised as ST09.

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Sometimes I think some people here live in an alternate reality?:confused: Or maybe it's just that I do.

When Bad Robot said "This is not your father's 'Star Trek'", they weren't dissing the old one. They were telling the new demographic that the new films would have something for them, as well as their Dads.

Yes, Orci & Kurtzman are self-proclaimed TNG fans, but they spent months reading TOS novels - and even made a list of the ones they loved ("Spock's World", "Final Frontier", "Best Destiny", "Ex Machina", etc), several of which became influential in their writing of the 2009 film.

And I don't recall any of the Bad Robot gang describing "old Trek" as "lame and boring". JJ Abrams explained that he found ST:TMP disappointingly boring, because he was an enthusiastic little kid at the Smithsonian premiere and he was expecting a SF film just like the "Star Wars" film he'd seen two years earlier.

I was a ST newbie in 1980 and had just started substitute teaching in the years between TMP and ST II - and all the kids I tried to chat Star Trek with thought that TMP was boring. Most adult fans I met agreed with them.

So what other "bashing" did I miss, or misunderstand?

6. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Another word is usually used when screenwriters and directors become involved in each other's work: producer.

7. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Who cares?

8. Yanks

About what?

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

The "not your father's... " tagline was also confined to a single TV spot which appeared very late in the promo campaign, less than a month before the movie's general release. I think it first aired during a sporting event of some kind, playing to an audience not typically courted for Star Trek or SF genre entertainment.

The "Nacelles Monthly" quip wasn't bashing, either - just more of Abrams explaining that he was making a movie targeted for a wider audience, so that he wouldn't necessarily be focusing on this or that <tech> detail to the degree that a "hardcore Trek fan" might want to see.
    http://herocomplex.latimes.com/uncategorized/star-trek-direc/#/0

Trying to make anything mentioned in Jarod's post out to be bashing is to be reaching too far.

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

This :techman:

IMO the reason Star Trek will never make a successful return to TV in the near future is because of the rabid fanbase, it can make your project a success but its too dam hard to please.

11. Yanks

Agree completely!! :bolian:

12. Yanks

Well, if you listen to Orci's latest podcast. (See Trekmovie) he indicates to the contrary.

That's where I got the Christmas Tree saying. :techman:

13. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I do think there's a bit of truth to both sides of the argument--Star Trek XII isn't above some criticism, but it's also been the subject of some bandwagon bashing too. But it's kinda the course for all Trek productions with both fans and vocal detractors.

14. Yanks

So true.

I had a big problem with the "Khan superblood" thing, but thinking it over I've tamed my "beast" :)

Still not there concerning the death scene though... :eek:

15. Khan444

Khan444 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The thing is, there would be NO Star Trek right now if it weren't for JJ. Enterprise was the first TV series since TOS to be cancelled, and Nemesis bombed critically and financially. The franchise was DEAD, no one wanted to greenlight Star Trek projects for a decade. JJ not only resurrected the franchise, but made millions of NEW people into Star Trek fans. That is an accomplishment worthy of note.

16. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Last time I checked, the writing credits of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan were:

Story by Harve Bennett and Jack B. Sowards
    Screenplay by Jack B. Sowards

17. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

I've got to agree with you there.

A movie blockbuster can happen even if the hardcore minority of Trek's fans are pissed. STiD is proof of that.

But a TV show can only survive if it has a fanbase that is loyal. Trek fans are so splintered, they couldn't even agree on...

... Hell! They couldn't agree on a damn thing...

So - New movie in 2016, but no chance of a new series within the next decade I'd say.

18. Khan444

Khan444 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I seem to remember a report that JJ wanted to do a new TV series that would run alongside the movies, but that the studio said no. I'm not sure if that's true, but it sounds like something that JJ would do.

19. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

It was a video game.

20. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Kurtzman and/or Orci have mentioned wanting to do a Series, but, no rejection or approval (Or for that matter a Solid pitch) has been confirmed by anyone

Many of us have theorized that the most likely scenario, would be after STiD proved to be a success (Which it now has), that a Series (Probably animated, not Live Action) would be greenlighted, so that it would be able to premiere shortly after the next movie premieres. No indication that this is going forward at this point, though. (Which would also be a 50th Anniversary Celebration, as well, hopefully)