Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by MrPointy, May 10, 2011.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I just don't see that happening. They'd never hear the end of it.

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I've asked 3 insiders of Trek in the last day if they know anything about the STNG-R...hoping for some answers...

3. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

I want to see some sample FX soooo bad.

If they do a good job on this? If the reviews of the blu-ray hold up? I'll shell out the cash for TNG all over again. And I paid $90 a season for the DVDs. So you know I'm fucking nuts!

4. BrotherofShran0

BrotherofShran0 Lieutenant Red Shirt

It will be interesting to see the Best of Both Worlds part I & II in HD. Also, Yesterday's Enterprise.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I never bought TNG on DVD, but I would be very tempted to take the plunge on these remastered Blu-rays if they really do happen.

6. BrotherofShran0

BrotherofShran0 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Do you think they will be released on i tunes?

7. TrekAlliance92

TrekAlliance92 Captain Captain

New from The Digital Bits:

8. Balok's Head

Balok's Head Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

can't wait!

9. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

That's right!! So it does look like it's being done "in-house". I guess doing Encounter at Farpoint makes sense.

RAMA

11. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

I won't be totally 'at ease' with this project until I can see the first footage and see whether or not it is upscaled from SD or totally re-scanned from the 35mm film. Until then I will not be holding my breath in anticipation!

12. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

It'll be upscaled from the masters. Yes, that'll suck, but at the same time digitally cleaned up footage from the original reels should look MUCH better than the copies of copies we've had on TV and DVD for the past god knows how long.

13. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

I think with the encounter at farpoint mention that would indicate cbs wants to start with season one if they are doing all seasons. It would take care of a double episode. It would have the ilm effects of the ent-D shots. It would introduce the show to people who have not seen it in the same way it was introduced in 1987.
    4 episodes is an investment and not a full season of investment just yet. Maybe they want feedback. Maybe cbs wants to find out if in-house is the best way (err most cost effective) to go?

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

15. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Lieutenant Commander

I have never bought any TNG dvd's even tho its my Favorite Series. But I CANT WAIT for this. Please do it right. Im all for expanding on and adding in different ship classes that they didnt do the first time. Heck. If all the FX ended up looking like Generations FX I'd be soooo happy.

16. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

There are no "reels" to remaster. Upscaling videotape will never look any better than "Trials and Tribble-ations" did on the TOS blu-ray. They have to reedit the original raw footage again or it won't be even close to HD. Apparently they think they've found a way to make this feasible, so we'll see what happens.

17. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Ok, reels was a bad choice of words, but I mean they're working from the VHS tape (or equivalent of) master, as opposed to the original film negative because most of the negatives don't exist anymore.

Of course they've found a way to make it feasible, as I don't think Trials and Tribble-ations had any up-scaling/cleanup/enhancement work done short of just bumping up the resolution.

18. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

IIRC the TNG footage in TATV seemed to be taken from the original negatives.

19. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

And that footage was taken from an episode at the back end of Season 7, I'd be amazed if the early series' negatives even existed, let alone in a usable condition.

20. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why? They had the negatives for TOS and that was from the 60s. I would imagine they would keep all the TNG stuff as well once Trek got big again.

And really, the only thing about early TNG that looks terrible are the VHS transfers, which aren't going to be used here.