X-Files Bombs

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by mswood, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Endymion

Endymion Captain Captain

Yeah you're pretty misinformed.

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Gillian needed to go into a decon chamber with Peet while John Billingsley
    watched

John- you missed a spot

that would have made sales skyrocket to "dark knight " level :D

3. Michael Chris

Michael Chris Admiral Admiral

I didn't figure it'd be a smashing success, but it's below how well I thought it'd do. Of course, I'm waiting till next week to see it.

4. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Wow. Ditto!

5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

At a Madison, WI, showing on opening night, a group of costumed fans did exactly that.

I wept. :(

6. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I went to one of the May preview screenings and there were people singing the theme song, and the song about Jayne being a hero. A little silly, but kinda fun.

And some poor woman in my row kept screaming "OMG". Not "oh my god", but actually Oh-Em-Gee. :rolleyes:

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think this has anything to do with The X-Files being "irrelevant". Even with TDK as it's competition, this still would have drawn people in if it actually looked like a big, scary, and exciting movie, and if it looked like the creators were taking the show to a whole other level.

Unfortunately, it didn't look that way at all. It looked like another episode of the TV series, where the only draw was apparently the opportunity to see Scully and Mulder on the big screen again. And that just wasn't going to be enough for most people.

The horrible reviews were just the final nail in the coffin.

8. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Well, as a dispassionate observer, I will say the promotion for this film did suck.

9. grabmygoblin

grabmygoblin Commodore Commodore

poor Skinner is always left out. guess he'll just have to wait until he and Mulder are alone...

10. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

you know, i never saw one trailer for this on the front of any movies i saw this year. i've seen a few print ads and a few online ads and that's it.

mind you, i got fed up with it during season 6 and gave up.

"it's aliens and they're going to invade!"

"no, that was a lie! it's the government fucking people over!"

"no, that was a lie to cover up the fact that the aliens are really here to colonise!"

"no, that's a lie!"

etc etc

i was only going to see this cuz a mate wouldn't go on her own... but i think i'll knock her back...

11. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I never heard that shouted at any of the Serenity showings I went to, but you've got to admit, it would an appropriate phrase for the situation; corny though it may be.

12. unfortunate but not unexpected. There was no buzz for it, the trailers were underwhelming, X-Files doesn't have the "pop" to it. The movie really only succeeds on a nostalgic "enjoy Mulder/Scully's chemistry" level.

Trent's post said it well.

13. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

It's not great news but considering the low budget I wouldn't be surprised if there's sequal. We'll have to see how the weekend turns out. Maybe even the week.

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

A shame, but hopefully the low budget of this film helps it break even. Didn't help for Serenity, but you never know.

I bet it will leave this weekend with 10-20 million. It'll probably top out around 30-40 million, just like Serenity did. Respectable, but not looking great for a sequel. :(

15. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Depends how it does overseas.

16. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

^^
    Does 20th Century Fox control the overseas rights?

17. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't worry. It'll make its money on DVD like Serenity did.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'm sensing a new special edition release of the film every couple of years. I can't wait for the new audio commentary from Xzibit!

:lol:

19. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And for the fans to scream that this is the best movie evar! and if you didn't like it then you are dumber than them. :lol:

20. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Shoot. Looks like my prediction from a few months ago was right...I just didn't think there was much interest left in The X-Files. :(