The Vampire Diaries - Season 3 - Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Sep 16, 2011.

1. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sindatur,

No, so far you have been mostly correct. I bought up a similar question a while ago and one of the posters best explained it that many of the witches seen thus far on Vampire Diaries are related to two black families (Bonnie's and that the two guys-can't remember their names). That doesn't account for Gina Torres though. The poster also informed me that there were white witches on VD as well, though I hadn't seen the episodes with them on. And the Secret Circle-the companion show-features white witches.

I think there was at least one black vampire that escaped from that pit last year (can't remember if I saw that or if the poster pointed that out to me. We also have Kelly Hu and her daughter as vamps). It would be nice though to see a bit more diversity among the supernatural on VD though.

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Thanks and...

Oh, yea, Secret Circle counts now, apparently.

3. Sindatur

Ah, I was remembering the Father of the WitchBoy in that scene :alienblush:

4. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

The real bitter escaped tomb vampire was played by a Hispanic actor. (I would not have known, except he used to work on a soap opera my mom watched. He also played a reporter on The Closer.) His girlfriend was black.

But other than Anna and her mother I don't recall there being much diversity amongst the vampires, but maybe that will change. (I recall the tomb's first escapee. I actually felt sorry for him when he apologized to the hiker he met and was about to chow down on.)

Most of the witches were/are related to Bonnie and the awesome Warlock. However, Gina Torres' character and the new lady just introduced may not be. They did not really give much background info the bartender played by GT other that she knew Lexi, Damon and Lexi's boyfriend and was a witch.

I don't really recall warlocks/witches that were white. They must have not made an impression. I know that the lady helping Klaus was the Warlock's daughter, and I loved the Warlock! I was sad when he and his son died.

5. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They don't need to find a way to kill Klaus. That implies that the way to kill Klaus is a huge secret. They just need to use common sense.

Any newborn vampire could take Klaus out with ease.

Step 1) Compel your way into the nearest national guard armory.

Step 2) Borrow a Ma Deuce, or something bigger if available. An autocannon would be great. A Mk. 19 grenade machine gun would be perfect. With a vampire's strength, it is perfectly feasable to fire a crew-served weapon from the shoulder.

Step 3) Turn Klaus into confetti. He's fast as hell, but he's not a bullet-timer. His flesh can be pierced and torn, he's just got amazing regen. Machine guns that size don't leave much more than bite-sized chunks. It's hard to recover from that, even with magical immortality.

Step 4) If he starts to regenerate, bury his remains in a thousand tons of cement so that he'll never he be able to claw his way out.

And if that doesn't work there are always tactical nuclear weapons to fall back on. Also, they're not difficult to steal when you have vampire mind control powers.

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Meh, I'm rapidly losing interest in this plotline. Angsty Stefan is fun, and the Roaring 20s costumes are nice, but Klaus and his sister, and all the penny-ante scheming and counter-scheming, snore. Now the gang is going to have to fight over a necklace, right? Get the necklace, get the witch, get the werewolf hybrids...is this a TV show or a video game?

See now this is the kind of thinking that could really enliven this show. Why haven't any vampires tried to mind-control their way into the Oval Office and use the POTUS as a pawn in their schemes, if only for fun? Give the Tea Party something to complain about! :rommie:

Any group of immortal mind-controlling people should be running all major corporations and governments by now. They just need to stop killing each other like morons. What's the point? And Klaus' scheme to create a few werewolf hybrids, pffft. Talk about thinking small! He could have whole nations and armies at his command if he'd been putting some effort into it for the last millenia.

7. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I am guessing there is a group of humans going back to the old days...maybe a secret society that knows how to stop vampires from taking control of the world...There was that police guy looking for Klaus & Rebecca.

8. Temis the Vorta

If you're a normal human who knows about vampires and wants to hunt them down, why not just tell everyone they exist? Sure, people would not believe you at first and some folks may panic, but in the first place, it's immoral not to let the general public know about a severe public safetly threat in their midst, and the increase in vigilance after all the hooplah dies down could be a huge asset in wiping out the vamps and/or coming to terms with the ones that can be domesticated.

Human beings learn to deal with other threats to public safety ranging from alcoholism to communicable diseases to terrorism. Vampirism would end up being just another threat that society needs to learn to control.

9. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    From my understanding there aren't alot of vampires in the world...the folks in Mystic Falls thought they had the problem solved until recently.

Your asking a question as a fan though...I am sure LJ Smith with the books and the writers with the show don't think it would serve their story by everyone knowing. The same could be said with other series that have the public in the dark while there is a select few who know and deal with the problem.

[edit] Plus the public knowing and dealing with vampires seems like a different type of story than what they want to tell...maybe you should write that...a story about humans and vampires living and working together. :)

10. hyzmarca

True, but it's worse for the actual hunters because vampires would have civil rights. You can't just lynch people any more. The KKK kind of ruined that for everyone in the 60s just like the Nazis totally ruined genocide.

If your goal is to protect people, going public is the best bet. If your goal is to kill some vampires, you'd best keep it a secret.

There's also the issue of vampire blood being the ultimate panacea. Dying of AIDS? Drink some vampire blood and kill yourself. Cancer? Drink some vampire blood and kill yourself. Persistent vegetative state? Vampire blood. Car accident? Vampire blood. Gunshot wound? Vampire blood.

It's so incredibly easy to turn people into vampires that it'll be the defacto standard treatment for all sorts of life threatening injuries and illnesses if it becomes becomes public.

Worse, it can be used prophylactically. Cops, soldiers, stunt men, extreme athletes, and everyone else in dangerous occupations will be taking their dose of vampire blood every morning before going to work. And they'll be all the safer for it. Eventually people are going to get outraged by children dying needlessly in car accidents and the like and its use will trickle down through the population. It might even be made mandatory as a form of vaccination against lethal trauma.

Eventually vampires will outnumber the mortal population. By by then we'll hopefully have space travel, since vampires can just desiccate themselves and spend centuries flying to alpha centauri without much trouble.

And it could be set in a small town in Louisiana.

11. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Episode #3.4 “Disturbing Behavior” Official Description TONIGHT! 8PM EDT The CW :)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbPQWZp5pyI&feature=player_embedded[/yt]

The Vampire Diaries - Disturbing Behavior Clip

Hoping to catch this live.

12. Temis the Vorta

Which is why it's weird that they don't just admit that they can't handle the situation and go to the authorities or go on FOX News or something. With only a few vamps around, the 6 billion-plus human residents of the planet should be able to make short work of them or at least keep them perpetually on the run.

What to do with the blood-bank vampires who don't harm any humans is another question, but I could foresee a civil rights campaign starting in their defense, with them becoming instant celebrities with millions of Facebook fans.

Mega-hotties like Stefan and Damon would be fine. They'd have to hire legions of bodyguards to keep their fans at bay, and armies of secretaries to answer all their mail (with more offers to be their personal blood donors than they could ever hope to satisfy) but they certainly would not need to fear for their lives.

In short, the story would quickly balloon way beyond the Stefan-and-Elena angst level that it's mired at now. Because I'm sick of that routine, I want to see it balloon into something new, but I know that TV shows don't do that kind of thing. :rommie:
    Weeelll...vampires are a type of serial killer, and there's no statute of limitation on murder, so it raises all sorts of wonderful legal questions, like would Stefan still be prosecutable for the murders he committed in the 1920s? I could see the argument made that the statute of limitations presumes a lifetime of no more than 100 years or so, which at the very least would tangle the cases up in court for a while.

And there's also the perspective that vampires are in a sense, a separate human species, whose natural food source is humans. That's an unprecedented situation that will probably take the legal profession another 100 years to sort out. Also, Stefan is technically dead. Does the law apply to dead people?

Your ideas about the medical uses of vampirism, and their potential to be used as a political football, are great! See, that's the kind of imagination I'd like to see in a vampire show one day. There's so much more that you can do with this topic than teen angst.

Here's another idea: the most dangerous aspect of vampires is not their blood-drinking but their mind control abilities. Imagine unscrupulous politicians, governments, corporations, criminal cartels, etc getting their hands on a vamp and either convincing or coercing a vamp into working for them.

That threat would be so intolerable to governments that the biggest threat Stefan, Damon et al would face is not vampire hunters who want them dead, but the FBI, which would put all "American" vampires in protective custody if for no other reason than to prevent them from falling into the hands of the Chinese, al Qaeda or Mexican drug cartels.

There would be a mad scramble as all governments try to round up vampires in their jurisdiction. There might even be fights over who has jurisdiction - what nationality is Klaus, anyway? Imprisoning vampires without trial is another sticky legal area. Do dead people have civil rights?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  13. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Tonight's ep was ok. Kat and Damon running off...Klaus & Stefan coming home...Bonnie is back. Still not feeling the ghost stuff and think it is boring...much like Jeremy. Glad to see Ric taking charge...even if Damon killed him...which Damon seems like it is a normal thing to do to people with rings cause they come back. Vampire hunters that originals are afraid of? :vulcan: Interesting. :)

14. hyzmarca

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove. And no one is going to give a crap anyway. Technically, he could but prosecuted but it's not like there's much evidence left after all that time and no one alive would care. A trial would just be a waste of money.

The murders he and Damon have committed recently all a whole other kettle of fish, though.

There's plenty of case law on the subject. If he's walking and talking then he isn't dead.

The simplest solution would be grow a lot of vervain and make sure people use it, especially important people.
    Shutting down vampire mind control is fairly easily. Elena didn't even have to consume it, just wearing it was enough. If you're important enough that major political entities would want to mind control you then it's just another security precaution among many.

Mind control is so easy to block that it's really only a security threat if it remains secret.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Great episode this week.

For once we finally got away from Elena trying to find Stefan plot. We all know how screwed up Damon is, but what is Katherine planning? This is the second time she has saved a Salvatore brother. Almost seems like she is becoming their guardian angel.

I get the feeling HRG will pull a Uncle John and return later in the season, which would be great since I love the actor. We find out for first time in this episode that vampire mind control can fail depending on the human. Gloria is witch number 465456 now to die. It has become a running joke now.

Best scene of the night was definitely Caroline being able to beat up Damon for a few seconds because of her anger. I just wish that the fight scene had been longer. Go vampire barbie!

16. Kosh Naranek

I am intrigued by Michael. I want to know who/what he is.

Stefan/Klaus/Rebecca were entertaining but not riveting.

I like that Catherine is such a wild card.

I am glad that Ric is finding purpose.

17. Sindatur

Michael? Is that the Hunter that Klaus is afraid of? I didn't catch a name

18. Kosh Naranek

Rebecca says to Klaus - "He was asking about Michael." I assumed the named Michael was who Klaus/Rebecca were running from.

19. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Vampire Diaries #3.5 “The Reckoning” Official Description Tonight at 8PM EDT!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=p7NYCmRQNRw[/yt]

The Vampire Diaries - The Reckoning Episode Preview

Can't wait! :D

20. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Interesting ep...and good. This whole thing with the vampire-vampire hunter Michael will be fun. Also Stefan, Elena & Damon. ugh...I hope this doesn't get stupid. Tyler becoming a hybrid? :eek: