Niners Unite...around Babylon 5! - The Lost Threads

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Neroon, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

what did you think of weyoun?

2. Anthony Sabre

Anthony Sabre Commodore Commodore

Suprised and happy to see him. I had no idea that he appeared on B5 first. I liked his character. Should I expect to see him again?

3. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Unfortunately, no, Combs' character doesn't return. Would have enjoyed seeing him play off Keonig at least once....

In first run there were several credit changes mid-season. Most of them didn't end up making it to the DVDs, unfortunately, but there are still one or two.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Credit changes mid-season? Really? I was under the impression that most of those (The one in 4x22, The one in 2x01) didn't make there way to DVD. Which changes did make it?

5. Anthony Sabre

Nice. Captain Pierce is the same actor who played the Klingon advocate in Rules of Engagement on DS9.

6. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

sadly not on B5. i guess the people over at DS9 just pay a lot more :)

that said, i think he was actually much (much!) better as weyoun (and even as liquidator brunt) than as a teep.

what you can expect: more ds9/b5 actor-cross-overs. sometimes to very amusing (and even confusing) effect.

7. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

didn't the season 1 voice-over clean-up make it to DVD? somehow i remember hearing JMS drone on about it in the commentaries. of course, that could all just be in my head.

Jan? Omaha?

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

^^
    I thought that was season two, with Sheridan's voice over that changed once Boxleitner could see the computer graphics while recording the voice. That said, I'm not sure that's on the DVD--I've only seen the change noted on youtube clips.

Where's Jan when you need her. They don't call her insane (in a good way) for nothing. ;)

9. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not Jan, but it was with Sheridan's narration and not Sinclair's. The first narration was a bit flat, because Boxleitner didn't have the visuals when he recorded it. They redid a few episodes down the line. In one of the commentary's Boxleitner makes the comment that when he recorded it, someone said that the other guy (O'Hare) did it better. To me, I have to agree but not as a slight against Boxleitner. O'Hare just has a deeper voice than Bruce.

10. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Sorry, sorry, much apologizings. Jan very busy...Jan taking care of much important business (going to see WALL-E). ;)

It was the second season that got the re-recording of the opening credit, as Hirogen Alpha and middyseafort said, because Bruce didn't have a chance to see the visuals before doing the recording.

The second clean-up that I'm aware of was for the fifth season opening sequence and that didn't make it to the DVDs either. The version on the DVDs has some of the lines spoken very unclear. Shame, too, since it's my absolut favorite opening and theme.

Jan

11. Anthony Sabre

WOW!

Now that was one hell of a season closer! I'm sorry but I still don't get you guys who say season one was bad. This has been some really good story telling I've watched over the last couple weeks. The show pretty much dares you not to tune again with all the questions and mystery it raises. Another aspect I appreciate is the way that human religions are presented. Trek treated them as very distasteful, something to be mocked. But B5 hasn't been afraid to show true human religions, even having the VP swear in using the bible.

Looking forward to starting season two in about 24 hours. :) :D

12. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Re: WOW!

Relatively speaking.

That scene was modeled on Johnson's swearing in after Kennedy was killed, even down to the woman in the pink dress.

13. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Not something you'll ever hear from me. I don't think that the series would have been nearly as good if not for all of the texture and background set up in the first season.
    Enjoy!

Jan

14. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Summoning Light is a major step down from Casting Shadows. A big problem is the endless internal monologuing done by Galen and Elric. They don't have each other to play off of, and Galen needs someone as interesting as Isabelle with him to make his scenes work. I was most intrigued to see the events of "The Coming of Shadows" from the techno-mage perspective.

I actually gave up on Invoking Darkness after about three chapters. I know the endpoints already for characters like Kosh, Anna, and Morden, and I don't care about Galen, Elizar, or the other mages enough to read through the whole book. I skimmed through the pages and gleaned that the events of "Z'ha'dum" are greatly expanded upon, and there was more going on than we knew about. That kind of story can be cool, but a decent protagonist is a must, and Galen just does not qualify.

My next B5 novels will be the Centauri trilogy. I love Peter David's work in the B5 and Trek universes, and I have high hopes that these books will be more than satisfactory.

By the way, I've been thinking about the assertion that the Shadow's actual name for themselves is 10,000 letters long. That is just insanely long. The longest English word is probably in the range of 200-300 letters, and the longest word in common use is much shorter. Other languages do have longer words on average, but it is human nature to keep a little bit of practicality. What possible reason is there for the name to be of such great length? Is there an internal abbreviation that they use for everyday conversation?

It's ironic that the forces of order (Vorlons) would have such a short name, and the forces of chaos (Shadows) would have a name that takes such discipline to say.

15. Anthony Sabre

Just finished up both Points of Departure and Revelations. I'm not sold on Sheridan so far. I knew the change was coming due to what I've seen and read. But I would still rather see Sinclair back in command. Since I don't have a say in the matter, no point in getting hung up on it. I can already see the series is taking a decidedly darker tone. It will be interesting to see just how far down Londo is going to go, on this road he's paved to hell. And it looks like they changed the actress who's portraying N'Toth? The previous actress had a much stronger presence in her scenes.

16. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Yes, Julie Caitlin Brown bowed out, partly due to concerns about the effects of the prosthetics on her skin. The new actress reportedly auditioned well but then changed her performance.

Jan

17. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

Captain John Dubya "Orange Juice" Sherida :rolleyes: FWIW, he gets better. Somewhat. He never does develop Sinclair's depth.

he should probably invest in some apple bottom jeans

the Caitlin Brown was also fucking hot :drool:
    [​IMG]

18. Anthony Sabre

Can someone explain the Earth Force command structure? Sinclair was a Commander and Sheridan is a Captain. But Sheridan took his marching orders from a General and Sinclair was relieved of command by a Lt. Colonel at one point. Seems like a Lt. Colonel wouldn't even outrank Ivanova but would be of equal rank.

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I don't know if a concrete command structure has ever been laid down. That's one of the facets of the series that feels like JMS just made it up as he went along.

We know a certain Captain was promoted to Colonel after season five. And we know another character went from Lieutenant Commander to Commander to Captain. Somehow Generals fit into that. And there's always Lieutenant Corwin, who seemed to be at the bottom of the barrel rank-wise (didn't we see him get promoted during the series--what rank did he originate?).

Lt.
    Lt. Commander
    Commander
    Captain
    Colonel

EDIT: Well here are a couple of possible explanations:

http://www.b5tech.com/misctech/earthforcerank/earthforcerank.html
    http://www.dalefranks.com/ea/earthalliance.swf

20. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

Sinclair and Sheridan were in some Navy-equivalent rank structure (like DS9). However, Ari Benzain, the Generals etc., are on an Army-equivalent rank structure.

a General is equivalent to an Admiral, and an Admiral - even in DS9 - outranks both Commanders and Captains.

As for Ben Zayn, a Colonel outranks a Commander. From what I can tell, Ben Zayn was a Col., not a Lt. Col. So while he could have relieved Sinclair, he could not have relieved Sheridan.

that said, he was Eyes, and they typically have a whole separate command structure that gives them some pretty freaking scary powers. How do I know that? well, The Drumhead of course :)