Why does Data never take Lal's skin?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jibrilmudo, Feb 25, 2014.

1. jibrilmudo

jibrilmudo Lieutenant Red Shirt

Back in s3, Lal had much more advanced and natural looking skin than her father, which Data specifically and proudly noted as an advancement by him.

In s7, Thine Own Self, he had half his face ripped off and then later replaced, so we know that part of him isn't so integrated that it can't be replaced, in fact, it seems to be the least trouble some part to fully replace.

I get why they kept Data's skin, being an iconic character and all, but since Data is so keen on being more human, is there any in-canon and internal universe explanation why he doesn't go for more natural skin, or any theories as to why?

2. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

He's not in touch with his feminine side.

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

He's not the Hannibal Lecter of androids. That's more of a Lore thing.

4. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

I wondered that too after Unification when they made him look like a Romulan/Vulcanoid. I read rumors when First Contact came out that in the next movie Data would look very different, which was why they didn't fix him at the end. Since his mother had an aging program, I figured that to keep the brilliant Brent Spiner filling the role, the writers would add that his aging subroutine kicked in at some point. Or, maybe B4 had the aging routine unlike Data. Lastly, I was thinking the other day while watching Insurrection that the writers could've had Picard revisit the Baku' planet where he would stay a while with Anij and he would de-age, allowing a younger actor to take over the role for future films.

5. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Earth/Sol
    I always assumed Data had more important things to work on and develop rather then worry about his looks.
    Similar to how we are born with our racial traits and features, this is not something we can change and is based upon our parents traits. So, I assumed, Data accepting his appearance as his traits passed down from his father. In his aspirations to become more human, I do not see why he would need to change the look of his skin to accomplish this.
    There could be many theoretical reasons why Data would have wanted to, of course. I'm sure that he could update his appearance to look exactly human (especially once he masters human movement?) and would be able to intagrate in amongst people flawlessly. But again, Data's appearance makes him Data and is his own. Which I just don't think is a concern to him.
    IMO.

6. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

It's the 3 most important things in business.
    It puts the lube on its skin or else it gets the ODN cabling again. Also, the idea of "naked" Data running around waiting for his new human suit...yeah.

7. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

There really was never an in-universe logical reason for Data not look more human, given that androids in the 23rd century looked just like humans anyway. I always figured that a behind the scenes reason for having Data looking like he did is to telegraph to viewers that he's not human, his artificial look tells you he's more machine than man.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, back in the day makeup was cheaper to use than visual effects like the "glowy bits" they use on Almost Human to remind us that Data is an android.

9. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Data wants to be more human in his essence, not in his appearance. Growing a beard is more than a cosmetic change, it's a human behavior. Humans can change their hair color, but not their skin color (except if you're Michael Jackson). Also, what skin color should he choose? The easier solution would be taking the same of Noonian Soong, but it would mean for Data to sacrifice a part of his own individuality to look even more like his creator.

10. jibrilmudo

jibrilmudo Lieutenant Red Shirt

Well, he would look less like Lore, which might be a tradeoff Data might be willing to make, especially as children often can look like their parents decades earlier, bringing him closer to humanity in that aspect.

I'm also wondering if this new skin had more sensation like what the Borg Queen tempted him with.

11. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Having common traits with a sibling is also a human reality.

12. Vandervecken

Vandervecken Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When I read this thread title I flashed on seeing Data as Buffalo Bill, and Lal in a pit having to spread on skin lotion.

13. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

It's the 3 most important things in business.
  14. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

15. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Data wished to experience the human feeling of being "comfortable in ones own skin".

16. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Interesting point. I'd imagine, in the future, if somebody wanted to change their skin colour, they could quite easily do so.
    I think the point is that it doesn't really matter. Nobody cares what skin colour you have, so it doesn't matter either way to Data. Gold, pink, brown - it's not what makes us human.

17. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I must confess when I read the thread title I thought of a rug in Data's quarters.

18. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Data with a yellowy-green techno pattern ala Dorian would be pretty cool IMO. :cool:

19. Egger

Egger Lieutenant Red Shirt

Maybe in the mirror universe xD

EDIT: Or as an alternative to the rug, maybe he takes her skin and wears it like a Lal suit. ^^

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014