There really needs to be a Star Trek TV series based on the movie!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by euges720, Sep 13, 2009.

1. euges720

euges720 Ensign Newbie

Okay, I'm sure this topic has been done many times previously, but it really deserves another chance. Plainly, I think that there really should be a new Star Trek series, using Trek 11 as the platform, with the same cast and all.

Reason? Star Trek has always been about developing characters. I really loved the friendship that started between Kirk and Spock in the film. They hated each other at first, but then they realized that they needed each other, and actually complimented each other really well (as with TOS). I'm sure Trek 12 when it comes out will be nice, but I really want to see that friendship developing, over the course of a TV series. From one movie to the next, either development will be greatly lacking, or they will change so much (because so many events will have taken place "between" the two) that we will miss out on the development.

Who's with me?

2. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Les Moonves will never allow it.

3. KirkSpockTOSFan

KirkSpockTOSFan Captain Captain

I agree with you. I would love to see a series based off of the movie with the same cast! But there is no telling if it will happen or not. I really would love to see the friendship between Kirk and Spock grow. I do hope we see some that happen in the next set movies.

4. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I disagree. I think that, for the time being, Star Trek needs to remain a movie property. The problems previously were that Trek had oversaturated the market. If there would be a new series then it would weaken the series again.

5. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

How about a series about kirk,s dad george and the kelvin, how he met his wife, winona the kelvin back story . ? captain robau,s hard man attitude, i,m sure that would work.

6. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Star Trek 90210

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Besides, Zachary Quinto already has an ongoing tv series.

8. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

i agree. Although i wouldn't mind in a year or two a series with George Kirk, using Chris Hemsworth. He had so little screen time but was amazing.

9. DontFeedPhil

DontFeedPhil Fleet Captain

Oh that? I wouldnt worry too much about that...

10. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    A series about the USS Kelvin with Faran Tahir set in the years leading up to the run-in with the Narada? THAT would be a great idea and allow a whole new prequel crew to take up where Archer and ENT left off.

11. TeutonicNights

TeutonicNights Commander Red Shirt

If they made a series now it would probably something like Starfleet Academy, with hot teens having sex and kicking ass.

12. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    SAN FRANCISCO SECTOR 001

Yep. I can see Tori Spelling asking to be in it now.:lol:

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

That's Admiral Spelling to you . . . .

14. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Any future TV series should be set back in the prime universe.

15. TeutonicNights

TeutonicNights Commander Red Shirt

I wonder if that is still possible. I still like the idea they might reset the timeline in movie 3.
    People didn't mind all the time travel/alternate universe stuff this time. I bet 98% of the audience doesn't give a damn.
    Why not make a cool story with lots of explosions and naked chicks and set everything back as it was (just souped-up in design) and everybody would be happy.

16. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I'd really like to see a "new TOS", a Kirk era series using the set designs from the movie, I'm sure there'd be a new cast playing the characters. I can't see the movie guys getting tied down to a weekly television production. (And as pointed out, Quinto already is, so he wouldn't be available anyway.)

Thing is, it might be better, once there's newly aroused interest, to go forward in time beyond the 24th century and do a series in some other era. This would take away the question as to which universe or timeline it's taking place in. We could easily imagine the timeline differences being ironed out by the time of some 26th century story. Even the destruction of Vulcan could have taken place either in Kirk's time or after Picard's.

Yeah. A 26th century (or later) series might be the best thing, tho' as said, I'd LOVE to see new TV episodes with Kirk and Spock.

17. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you really want to flesh out the characters I'd agree a series is necessary. It all depends on whether or not Star Trek can survive as a series of films without that backstory for the characters grounded in the TV show. The problem with the Next Gen films was they had this grounding, but the powers behind the films somehow determined that all Star Trek films must have

1) A big comic-book villain

2) At least one SPACE BATTLE

Now if the new heads of Trek can show that they can produce films that don't stick to that formula and are compelling then I'll believe the series can continue on the back of films alone, but as decent as this latest film was it still conforms to the formula established in the last half dozen films; it just happens to have had better production values and writing than several of the films that preceded it.

18. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If they do make a show based on the movie it'll probably be a show aimed at kids or teenagers.

19. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

Isn't that all of Star Trek?

20. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

And what is the difference to this movie? The reason why TNG movies were not successful/had problems is the same reason why this movie was successful/had no problems?