A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No nom for Pedro Pascal? That's a crime!

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

None of the Game of Thrones cast were submitted in the lead categories this year. They did make lead submissions in the first season for Sean Bean and Lena Headey. I believe that was the only season they made submissions in the lead categories.

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

If I were to guess, based on their importance in the books to GRRM's Grand Plan, that would be Jon Snow (Kit Harrington) and Danny (Emilia Clarke). Other than that, I have no clue. :confused:

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

It's an ensemble cast, I don't really think of there being lead actors as such, in the way that eg Kiefer Sutherland is the lead in 24 or Kevin Spacey in House of Cards. IIRC, any acting nods for the likes of Lost were invariably for supporting roles.

5. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

^^^
    Matthew Fox was nominated for Lead Actor for Lost.

Emilia Clarke and Kit Harrington have always been submitted in the supporting categories.

All of the Friends cast were always submitted in the supporting categories.

6. Captaindemotion

^ I didn't know that about Fox. I remembered Friends after I posted that other reply.

7. Captaindemotion

EW has published the list of directors for S5. 5 directors will each direct 2 consecutive episodes, according to the report, with the returning David Nutter helming eps 9 & 10. But on my reading, he's the only returnee - the others are GOT debutants. Yes, no Neil Marshall, no Benioff or Weiss (they'll be producing and writing, obviously) and, despite doing 4 eps of S4, no Alex Graves.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/15/game-of-thrones-season-5-directors/

8. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Only Natalie Dormer submitted herself this year. The show submitted Dinklage, Dance, Coster-Waldau and Harrington for Supporting Actor, Headey, Turner, Williams and Clarke for Supporting Actress, Pascal for Guest Actor and Rigg for Guest Actress. They don't submit anyone for Lead categories since season 1, they've learned the lesson that nobody on the show has enough screentime to compete with actors who dominate their shows like Bryan Cranston on Breaking Bad etc. Sadly, that means that we get the silly situation where everyone is considered "supporting", and only the main stars of th show get the chance to get nominated, instead of actual supporting actors with their even smaller screentime or lower profile.

9. Captaindemotion

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

In an interview with Vulture, Sean Bean reveals he's is a big believer of the fan-favorite theory about Jon Snow's parentage and would love to return to the show to help present it.

i09 speculates she's playing Obera based on her age.

11. Captaindemotion

12. 137th Gebirg

I do hope this happens, but at the same time, I hope they don't just plop it in there. I personally think they've done Snow's background a little bit of a disservice in this regard. They've barely even touched on the Lyanna backstory, the reason for Robert's rebellion, the whole "Promise me, Ned" thing, etc. I would love to see more but they really need to do some back-filling. Flashbacks with Bean would be good, especially since this coming season's Crows material, as well as a lack of Bran's future storylines, may be generally less-than-useful for TV production purposes.

13. Captaindemotion

14. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Loads of season five casting!

So, Keisha Castle-Hughes is Obara after all. And Doran Martell is....Alexander Siddig? :eek:

Ok, that was out of left field, but I'll roll with it.

Jonathan Pryce as the High Sparrow is awesome news. I can't wait to see him playing off Lena Heady.

15. 137th Gebirg

Oh, those DO sound like great casting choices. This is shaping up to be a better season than I thought.

16. OdoWanKenobi

I see some people exploding though, since the blurb mentions Trystane as heir to Dorne. Does this mean that Arriane and Quentyn have been cut?

17. 137th Gebirg

It's possible, though surprising. They've cut back on the Sand Snakes as well, although Ariadne and Quentyn do play considerably larger roles. I forget, did they cast Arys Oakheart yet?

18. OdoWanKenobi

Not that I've seen. He's an utterly worthless character, though and I wouldn't be surprised if they just left him out completely.

19. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To be fair, most of the Sand Snakes didn't do anything - Obara, Nymeria, and Tyene are really the only ones they need.

But I'm pretty sure they can't cut Quentyn as
    I think his death is a part of Mirri Maaz Duur's prophecy - "the sun will rise in the east and set in the west"
    . However, depending on how they are adapting the books, maybe they won't get to his big scenes until Season 6?

20. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Here's the video of the casting announcements:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH2ri8RhSnw[/yt]