Blake's 7 given the go ahead by Syfy

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Bob The Skutter, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Michael Fassbender as Avon! But he more of a film star. Paul Darrow was amazing as Avon, certainly tough shoes to fill indeed.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Never saw The Mentalist, but I never found Stargate's Adria to be that much like Anna. I guess there were some similarities -- they were both villains passing themselves off as benevolent -- but Adria's assumed persona was more of an ingenue while Anna's was more of a matriarch. And somehow Baccarin just did a much better job of acting on V. Her acting never impressed me much on Firefly or Stargate, but she knocked it out of the park as Anna, just an amazing improvement. So I see Anna as a whole other category from anything she did before then.

The V remake is an awful, ghastly, soulless show, but Baccarin absolutely shines in it. She's the villain, but she's the only character in the whole misbegotten mess that I found at all sympathetic.

3. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I honestly completely forgot about V until someone mentioned it here. I thought of Morena completely independently from that. Probably spurred by her short Servelan-like 'do.

4. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Petty interpersonal conflicts, especially in the hands of people afraid to have any other thematic content, are dreadfully cliche by now. That would explain why it fits into a network's comfort zone. In particular, it seems as though it is imagined more as a Firefly incarnation. There was an awful lot wrong with Firefly and it seems highly unlikely Syfy would have any idea how to fix it. And it seems even more unlikely that they could do the jokes as well as Whedon.

On the other hand, maybe they'll actually update Blake's Seven. I've never seen that and I look forward to seeing either the original or a contemporary adaptation.

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Love it! Too bad he's not at liberty or likely to be (I haven't read the GoT books so if GRR Martin went nuts and killed off Tyrion, please don't tell me about it.) :D

SyFy is very likely to cast at least a few fan-favorite actors from other shows who are currently at liberty, the likes of Ben Browder or Adam Baldwin...bigger names who are no longer young and dewy...who among that crowd might work? Any younger roles will probably be filled by cheap, pretty unknowns, that's their modus operandi.

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suppose Robert Carlisle has been playing shifty guys for a while but he's probably wrapped up with Once Upon a Time for a while.

Of course, we're kind of dredging up the obvious probably recasting Paul Darrow, Gareth Thomas and Jacqueline Pearce as much as Avon, Blake and Servalan. It should be interesting either way. I'd be happy if we just got a region 1 release of the original show out of it.

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah I'm thinking, what shifty guys/gals are at liberty for a new series, and have name recognition with SyFy viewers? Not just from SyFy series, but any series the average SyFy viewer is likely to have seen, especially anything genre.

Titus Welliver is an example. David Straitharn's series has been cancelled. I don't think either have been cast in a pilot this season and speaking of that, there are plenty of actors whose pilots will be rejected in May.

It's a buyer's market for actors over the age of 35 or so (sadly) but a lot of them have followings who will check out a show because, hey that guy is in it!

8. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Robert Knepper will be available since Cult tanked.

9. Mr. Adventure

How about that Littlefinger guy from Game of Thrones? They probably only need him part time on there. :)

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

How about Iain Glenn as Blake and Liam Cunningham as Avon!

11. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

The line is slowly starting to blur. Kevin Spacey is doing a good job in House of Cards (which was started by David Fincher).

Now we have Martin Campbell apparently kicking off Blake's 7, so who knows, they may go for a movie actor.

Heck, all that we need to happen now is for someone like Peter Jackson to direct an episode of Doctor Who...

12. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Where are people in the US supposed to have seen Blakes Seven? I a little puzzled as to how it can have name appeal when the series has been unavailable.

13. Mr. Adventure

I think it's like most British remakes, something about having a previous formula to go from is reassuring as much as audience recognition.

14. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I used to watch it on the same public television channel that I watched Doctor Who on. Now this is my immediate option.

[​IMG]

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Same here. It was in reruns for several years.

16. Mr. Adventure

Those won't fit in my DVD player.

Depends where you live, I don't think we ever got Blake's 7.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

There actually is a very slight chance that could happen someday. Jackson has said repeatedly that he would love to direct an episode, but they just haven't been able to work things out.
    As for B7 sadly I've never seen it. I've been searching for it for years, but it's not on DVD or streaming anywhere.
    I am curious about the new version though. I've been pretty happy with most of Syfy's stuff that I've seen, and the story does seem interesting.

18. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Check youtube

19. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Our PBS programers are Anglophiles, but it has been a generation since it was last on in the lower powered station in the next programing area.

20. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

It was on PBS in the 80's, that when I first saw it. they would play B& and Doctor who back to back!