New poster seems proof UHURA has replaced DR. MCCOY in the big three.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Mutara Nebula 1967, Mar 21, 2013.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Re: New poster seems proof UHURA has replaced DR. MCCOY in the big thr

Or even two women, preferably with tails...

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Bigger movies? Saldana was the female lead in Avatar, which is the highest-grossing motion picture in the history of the world, as well as the biggest-selling Blu-Ray release of all time. How is there a bigger movie than that?

Okay, Urban had a small role in Lord of the Rings, but he was kind of buried under the huge ensemble. Other than that, the biggest movie he's had a major role in other than ST has been The Bourne Supremacy, which made less than a fourth of what Avatar made.

As for which one is the bigger star, this is admittedly an imperfect survey, but "Zoe Saldana" gets 12.3 million Google hits while "Karl Urban" gets 5.6 million. Also, according to Rotten Tomatoes, since 2001 Saldana has been in 32 films with a combined box office of $1.79 billion, while Urban has been in 29 films with a combined box office of $1.58 billion.

So I just don't see what gives you the idea that Urban is a bigger star. Maybe he is in New Zealand, but not in the US or worldwide.

I'm sorry, did you watch the first movie? Uhura was made far more than tertiary, given close ties to both Kirk and Spock, even if her relationship with Kirk was adversarial. These films are clearly as much Spock's story as Kirk's, and Uhura plays a very important role to this Spock. And her role as gadfly to Kirk is comparable to McCoy's.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

There is no Big Three anymore. It's a Big Two now, with Kirk and Spock, and then there's the rest of the cast. Uhura's expanded role and presence in the trailers and posters is simple marketing.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I'd be happy to add up the grosses of Saldana's movies to Urbans because I count $2 billion alone for LOTR movies for Urban. Urban has starred or guest starred in more and while she was in Avatar, just 2 of Urban's movies grossed about the same as that one which is the highest grossing movie ever (in which her real face never appeared even once..people don't know who she by face recognition or voice from that movie)...now how many actors could say that? As for web hits...come on, women always get more web searches then men, its inevitable.

Spocks story in the first movie was relatively equal, but the second movie makes Spock secondary with development. In both movies, the trailers focused on Kirk's story with the voice over...which clearly establishes what they are going for.

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Did run a quick search, Zoe's movies have outgrossed Urbans, but if you subtract Avatar her grosses worldwide fall to about $1 billion. $654 million of that is Pirates of the Caribbean. All her other movies made $400 milliom or so. Subtract BOTH LOTR movies and Urban's total is slightly higher than Saldana's without Avatar. Plus I think her roles were smaller in her earlier movies than Urban, who can easily headline his own movie.

RAMA

6. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

Hidden behind CGI. They could've stuck any actress there and I doubt it would have made any difference.

7. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's not even close to being true.
    I would suggest watching a few behind the scenes featurettes on how they do performance capture for these things and how integral the actor's work is, especially in something like Avatar or the LOTR/Hobbit movies.

8. MarsWeeps

My point is, Saldana's performance wasn't critical to the success of the movie, in my opinion. Any half decent actress could have done the same thing she did and the movie still would have been a blockbuster.

9. SalvorHardin

It is certainly very possible that it would have been a blockbuster with someone else.
    Then again, I'm sure James Cameron auditioned plenty of candidates before hiring Saldana so he must have seen something there that he thought would fit with & elevate his movie.

10. MarsWeeps

Well, I'm sure it elevated something. ;)

11. SalvorHardin

Speaking of elevation and watching your avatar reminded me of that Dalek going up the stairs. Was it in season 1? I forgot.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

But Urban was a minor character in LOTR. I, for one, didn't even remember he'd been in that until I looked him up.

Oh, good grief -- you haven't even seen the damn movie yet! So obviously you can't actually know that. This conversation is a complete waste of time.

You've completely missed the entire point of performance capture. What was so revolutionary about the technology of Avatar was that it directly translated the actors' physical performances to the CG characters. It may not have been her face (though it was obviously modeled on it), but it was her voice, her expressions, her body language.

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Like I said in the last thread to cover this issue: so what? This is a reboot, that means doing something new and different. If they want to make Uhura one of the "Big Three" I have no problem with that. That's what you do with a reboot.

At times I don't understand this forum. You have people decrying Star Trek's tired old formula which led to the death of the franchise and that it's time for something new. But then Uhura's role is increased and it's "How dare they replace McCoy with Uhura, that goes against the old dynamic. I am outraged!" I'm not even going to comment on the contradiction between the "time for something new" sentimality and the "bring back Khan" rhetoric.

14. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

He did and it bombed, although Dredd was pretty decent.

15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

It's not a huge leap...Kirk's story superseded Spock's by the end of the first movie, despite relatively equal time. As I said, both ad campaigns centered on voiceovers of Kirk's story, usually by Pike. As for STID, Spock has some moments in it of course, but it is Kirk's vendetta, Kirk that makes a prime directive mistake, Kirk that is the one who needs to grow and learn(per Pike). I don't need to see the movie to realize this.

RAMA

16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

According to Anthony at Tremovie:

I have got some clarification on the posters. These are not the final one-sheet posters that will be seen in International theaters. They are being described as “a special piece of artwork revealed through the trailer launch”

17. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

18. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, but on the actual poster used to market the movie in theaters Pryor is front and center being carried through the air by Superman.

19. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Flat out disagree...Zoe Saldana's acting in Avatar got a lot of critical acclaim and it is her best work to date. I think someone has mentioned why Avatar was so ground breaking. It was the actors that did all the acting, it was not animation or kids or body doubles

Here is the proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOHPCI_9-eQ

When the film first came out there were whispers that Zoë was going to get a best actress nomination of her role as the Navi Princess but that didn’t happen

Such a shame since Kate Winslet got an Oscar nomination for best actress despite her terrible American accent in Titanic.

chris pine and zoe saldana are the biggest stars among the cast. The Academy chose both of them to host the technical Oscars and both were asked to represent Star Trek at the main Oscars.

Why not Chris and Zachary?

Don’t get me wrong, Zachary is huge as well and he will always be an icon to many TV fans and geeks because of his role as Sylar on HEROES. However Zachary doesn’t seem to have the heartthrob status that Chris Pine has (despite the fact that Zachary is more handsome than Chris).

Paramount does feel that Chris and Zoe are the prettiest and most commercial people among the cast so Paramount has decided to make both of them the face of the new film.

A lot of TOS purist fans have to accept it. This is year 2013, Star Trek can’t commercially survive with 3 Men on the poster. you need a woman, you need a woman, You need a woman.

In references to Lord of the Rings, The poster of the Two Towers had Aragon in between Arwen and Ewoyn . Arwen didn’t even have up to 10 minutes on screen time and the film was 3 hours long and even worse the love triangle in the Two Towers was secondary to the main plot story.

So, WOMEN MATTER......I just wish they weren’t so objectified in Star Trek.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  20. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

One minute I praise JJ for having Uhura as a strong female lead in this film and next I slam him for objectifing Carol as a sex object.

I hate the poster....That female does not look like zoe saldana, its a bad photoshop of her face.