Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor - Review&Discussion **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 30, 2008.

?

Your grade for Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor aka Mummy 3

Poll closed Oct 28, 2008.
  1. A+

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. A

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. A-

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. B+

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. B

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. B-

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  7. C+

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  8. C

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  9. C-

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  10. D+

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  11. D

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw this last night at a sneak showing. First things first for those interested in non spoilery, my grade.

Captain Craig's grade: B-

I'm going to give a brief, likely overly simplified review, because the movie itself is sort of that way.
    [​IMG]
    I thought the opening of the movie was done well. We get about a 6-8 minute laying of the groundwork about ancient China and the one Emperor who wanted to rule the whole land and his quest for immortality. About how he is cursed and those responsible vow to prevent his return.

We are then reintroduced, separetly, to Rick and Evie who are in retirement. Both sequences and then when they are together are meant to show us how stale and boring life has become for them since we last saw them. They, like Indy, were WWII operatives and now with a 19yr old son they seem restless.

We are introduced to Alex who is in China working on a dig. He has dropped out of school and pursuing things his own way. He's teamed up with one of his dads old acquientences.

We are reintroduced to Jonathan, Evies brother, at his nightclub he runs...in China, called IMHOTEPS!

All hell breaks loose once the O'Connels are reunited in China. The mummy arises due to a double cross at the dig site. The typical stuff happens and I won't go into all of it. I will say however the Abominable Snowmen were an interesting addition to the Mummy movie family of creatures.

My grade could be lower but its saved by Jet Li & Michelle Yeoh. Both characters are written better and more serious which is what I wanted and expected from this film. Seeing it for them and their fight scenes is easily worth going. I felt the movie had a full measure of unnecessary comedic one liners and sight gags. A sprinkling of humor sure but they laid it on a few more times than I liked. I felt like after the more serious start that the movie only kept having traction when Jet and Michelle were on screen. The family dynamic comes together well enough in the end but felt the extra humor made it uneven and disjointed at times.

I'd still have paid to see it but will be seeing X-Files this weekend instead.

Mummy Tomb of the Dragon Emperor: B-

2. zenophite

zenophite Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the only thing that really sort of interefered with the mummy movies for me was the overuse of the comedy stuff

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

As much as I didn't like the first one and despised the second, I thought the trailers for this one actually made it look pretty good.

But now that the reviews are out, it looks like it's just another cheesy and overblown Mummy Returns. Ugh.

4. Captain Craig

Luckily there are no sand nipples ala Schumacher but they laid too much cheese into the final product.

However, its saved a letter grade due to Jet and Michelle being really great.

5. Captain Craig

Its opening day. Whos going and what did you think?

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

So Roger Ebert's review mentions this Mario Bello fella a couple times. Is he any good in this movie? :lol:

7. Captain Craig

He actually says this.
    Its not better than the first in this series and I think a tough case can be made for M:2 being better.

I didn't loathe this one on first viewing. I'll see how it holds up down the road on DVD though.

8. Aragorn

What do you mean "he actually says"? Nothing I posted was false and it had nothing to do with his actual review.

9. Captain Craig

^^
    I mean its not the best.
    There is no accusation being tossed your way my friend.

10. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Well Ebert did spell Maria as Mario in the review. :lol:

11. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

it's going to be hard to forget Rachael

[​IMG]

Forget being tied up, look how hot she is. Maybe Eve regenerated ;) thats my cheap cop out explanation for any replaced actor/ actress. James Bond is on his 6th regeneration :D

Very time lady looking
    [​IMG]

She even has a baker-esque hat lol

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked the movie quite a lot, I thought it was a solid summer movie. This felt more like a "Raiders" movie than the last Indiana Jones. The China setting helped for a fresh spin and there was some nice adventure action here. As usual for the Mummy films there were a lot of FX slathered on but and for the most part they were top-notch and even at their dodgiest were still quite acceptable. When the two armies go at it, it is quite impressive and well-mounted.

The movie cutely acknowledges the replacement of Rachel Weisz and I liked that the new actress gave her own spin to the character rather than try to evoke the previous performance. I liked the grown Alex as well. Has Brendan Fraser always been this bad of an actor, I never really noticed how bad he is until recently but it's not enough to sink the movie. Be aware that the typical Brendan Fraser physical comedy moment in the beginning doesn't last through the whole movie thankfully. The movie seems to have a slight knowing metatextual quality to it that might bother some but it's also a bit of winking fun.

What would a Chinese epic be without Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh? Both acquit themselves with Jet Li checking his ego to take the villain role without hamming it up or drawing attention to the fact that he's *Jet Li*.

It might not be perfect but I think its flaws falls to the wayside in enjoying the movie as a whole. I think from the perspective of a summer popcorn movie it succeeds.

13. davejames

Wow, Ebert is losing more and more credibility with me every week.

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like this though:
    Moviegoers who knowingly buy a ticket for "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" are going to get exactly what they expect: There is a mummy, a tomb, a dragon and an emperor. And the movie about them is all that it could be. If you think "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" sounds like a waste of time, don't waste yours.

15. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Ebert's a great reviewer. He tries to write reviews for a movie's audience. If you want mummie, tombs, dragons, and emperors, this movie is for you.

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I really liked that they at least acknowledged that Eve is a different actress (and character) in her opening scene. The Rachel Weiss version is just the one from her novels, which I'm okay with.

The movie on the whole, however, was incredibly lackluster. Lots and lots of action sequences, but not a whole lot else. The best thing about the first two Mummy films was the relationship between Rick and Eve, but in this movie, while touched on, it took a back seat to the very under-developed villain. At least in the first 2 movies they were able to form some kind of visible, personal relationship between themselves and Imotep. In this, they treat Jet-Li like "just another Mummy."

Eh, I give it a C. It wasn't awful. It probably would have been fine if were a standalone, but I think it pales compared to the first two.

17. davejames

Actually a movie with all those things sounds like it could be a lot of fun. But only if it was actually, you know, well made.

18. Aragorn

I like Ebert. Whether or not you agree with his reviews, you can probably tell just by reading them if you'd personally like the movie or not. Though he tends to be easily swayed by his political leanings.

As for the minor lapses, I still don't understand why he said that in Star Trek: Generations, the captain of the Enterprise-B was a young Picard.

19. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

Uhhgg. That doesnt sound good. So the first two movies were interpretations of Evies novels??? Soundskinda tupid. They shouldnt have acknowledged it at all. I hate when they reference stuff like that in a movie. Really takes me out of it.:(

20. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

No. I think that it means the Evie of the first two movies is not the Evie of this movie -- that she has grown, gotten older, etc etc. At least that's my interpretation.