DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought Justice League #19 was really good...not really sure that Bruce was lying to teammates. He finally confronted Clark and Diana about their relationship, and his concerns about it, along with the fact that it's probable the others have figured out they're dating as well. Perhaps he didn't tell them the full reasons why he is bothered by their relationship, but he didn't outright lie to them either, unless I completely missed something. I did read through the issue rather quickly.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd say he's been turning the tide on that respect angle. Even posters to this thread have come to realize Aquaman really is a great character and for whatever reason never latched onto that. I see that other places about the 'net as well. Despite a great, strong, powerful, force to be reckoned with characterization by Peter David in the 90's solo or Morrison's equally strong take in JLA tales.

The seahorse riding, only talks to fishes bias is slowly breaking down. It's just taking a few decades longer than it should have but it's happening.

3. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I've never really taken Aquaman lightly, I just never really found him that interesting. It was only with the recent "Throne of Atlantis" storyline that I started to be interested.

4. Admiral_Young

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The JLI Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooved J'onn.

JL Annual one when Jo'nn saved the world from a meat networked unimind by slapping on the helm of Fate was superb.

Of course they didn't love J'Onn because he was first, they loved him because he was always there and never left, which wasn't the literal truth but it was pretty damn close.

6. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

that article says it is simply a single issue fill-in, as Johns will be back with #21.

7. Admiral_Young

^ Doh! I misread that lol. You're quite correct.

8. Captain Craig

I was about to post what Praetor_Shinzon did.

Besides, I like Ostrander. His 90's Martian Manhunter 30-issue run series was a good read among other works of his.

9. Savage Dragon

So I am really digging the art in Superman these days. Kenneth Rocafort's stuff is just gorgeous.

10. Admiral_Young

^Surprisingly I agree. Not about Rocafort...he's stuff is always beautiful...but Lobdell has been entertaining and hasn't irritated me in a long time. "Superman" is finally stable...and Rao, I might actually take a look at his "Action Comics".

11. Savage Dragon

They're doing a pretty good job with the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship too.

12. Admiral_Young

13. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Fialkov was at my LCS today doing a signing. So I did what I had meant to do for a while and finally got around the picking up the first volume of I, Vampire, and I got it signed. It was awesome. I couldn't put it down. Wow. Now I have to go get the next volume as soon as I can. It's really cool seeing vampires with more of the classic Dracula type powers, as opposed to the more wimpy versions we typically have. My favorite moment is Andrew meeting the other docile vampire and helping him awaken his powers, only to realize he's created a monster. Also, appearances from Constantine and Batman never hurt. I wish I had been reading this from the start, and didn't just decide to pick it up on the day the last issue came out.

14. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    This is cool to hear. I was hooked from the first issue on. It's sad to see it go but I am surprised that I, Vampire lasted as long as it did. My judgments have nothing to do with the writing or art, which were both top notch. I just felt that I, Vampire needed to be a Vertigo book. I think sticking that story inside the DCU limited it.

But with American Vampire being at Vertigo, I didn't think that DC would have two vampire series there (this was before New Deadwardians-is that still ongoing? In any event, American Vampire and I, Vampire felt more similar in tone than New Deadwardians anyway).

I'm looking forward to picking up the last issue of I, Vampire whenever I make it back to the comic book shop. I've read every issue of the new series, but perhaps missed one or two of the crossover books.

I think it started spinning its wheels a bit toward the end-though I have to wonder if that was because of the creative ceiling being in the DCU put on it, in addition to the realization of the book's cancellation on the part of the creative team-I still find I, Vampire one of the best vampire stories in comic form I've ever read. I'm hoping it goes out with a bang.

15. Captain Craig

I'm going to go back and get the I,Vampire issues.
    I was reading it through the #0 issue and stopped cause I was a bit worried after Resurrection Man and Frank Agent of SHADE were cancelled so I just dropped it. Thinking it's end was nearer than it was.

16. Admiral_Young

17. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

^ I would enjoy it more if it was a Superman robot gone bad, or a clone whos body was failing and needed to meld with a robot, ok ok I am thinking robots today.

18. Admiral_Young

I wonder how they would reintroduce the concept since Hank Henshaw I guess is still technically supposed to be a Sinestro Corp member? They'd either have to retcon that or introduce a completely new version I'm guessing.

19. Captain Craig

Cyborg Superman always felt like a bit of a riff on Metallo with a little variation to me.

I'm not dissing the character just noting my perception of him.
    The original introduction during the Reign storyline was strong I thought.

20. Admiral_Young

Yeah I guess I can see that reaction to him. I always thought he was cool myself and the Sinestro Corp thing made sense. I am really curious to see how and if they pull this off.

Also it's C2E2 this weekend...so it will be interesting to see what kind of news if any we will get from DC about upcoming future projects.