R'ha (short sci fi film)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

This film, made primarily by one person in his early 20's, is incredible. Moody, interesting, visionary, and with a great twist ending. It's far and away better than a lot of sci fi films out today... (partly because there are no real sci-fi films being, made right now, it's all superhero stuff)

Link

The film is less than seven minutes, but it has such a full vision and a complete story.

I want to see more, but yet I feel like no more is needed.

2. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is almost a year old, but still pretty good for a short film. Nothing really groundbreaking here, but crazy good technically for a single person to do.

Though I'm not sure what you mean by no real sci-fi films being made? Oblivion, Elysium, Another Earth, Ender's Game, Star Trek... quality aside (that's another debate) they still come out quite enough. They're certainly not making as much money as the superhero stuff right now, but we're getting a good amount still.

3. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Ok.. let's see:

Oblivion feels padded, it's twist is obvious, it's look is much too clean for a post apocalyptic film, and overall, with a ling running time, whatever edge it might have had is lost pretty quickly.

Elysium is such an unsubtle and heavy-handed Mexica/ USA immigrant nonsense. It also loses it's edge.

Another Earth was interesting, if a bit soft.

Haven't seen Ender's Game

Sure R'ha used dome old themes even some familiar imagery, but it felt a bit new, and with the dark tone, splendid sound design, it is terrific. And the story is completely told in seven minutes. We want to see more, but we know that if w did, it would somehow ruin in, and dull its edge.

PJ can learn something about efficient story-telling from this guy.

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pretty good.

It owes a lot to The Matrix is one thing that occurs to me.

This can stand on its own, or as just one chapter in a larger story.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked the film very much. When the alien is giving a voiceover of the apocalypse of his world, sometimes it's hard to tell which is his voice and which is the robot's (understandable, since it's the same actor) but otherwise, awesome.

But about the twist ending:

It's actually given away in the first couple of minutes, because you can see the robot's "torture protocols" listed on a video screen to the side. Things like Motivation, False Information, Motivation, Release...and the last one is Tracking.

6. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, consideration of quality aside, the Trek reboot is Star Wars-style science fantasy, not science fiction. Quite deliberately so: it goes out of its way to use scientific terms "sloppily" just like Star Wars itself or the old pre-Trek pulps used to do (if anything moreso), and both films (esp. the first) are built around the fantasy theme of fate/destiny.

R'ha is very cool. Nothing particularly original, but technically spectacular and a nicely-woven little story. Thanks for posting it.

7. Flying Spaghetti Monster

I found it on YouTube for people that can't watch vimeo.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muYFZVj-kDY[/yt]

My favorite shot in the film is the robot's first appearance. Throughout the entire film, he is in front of the alien, but when he is introduced, he is behind him.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  8. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

I just got to see it, and I liked it a lot. Very atmospheric and beautifully animated.