A way Endgame could have been redeemed

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Control Voice, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Control Voice

Control Voice Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I despise Voyager's finale. It's the only episode that hurt me. Bottom line: I wanted to see these people come home and reunited with their loved ones.

However I could have swallowed it if the following had happened in this thumbnail sketch of a sweeps episode:

For all the help Janeway has given the Continuum, Q rewards the crew by returning Voyager to Earth for 12 hours. This scenario would have allowed the reunions, tears and cheers many fans longed for. And there would certainly room for pathos as the crew is returned to the Delta Quadrant no matter where they were or how far they ran. The last scene of the crew accepting their fate and continuing the journey home.

By putting most of the human interest elements in an earlier episode, it might have made the finale a little more palatable.

2. Vulcan Logician

Vulcan Logician Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Despise? That's a little strong, eh? Fanwank all you want, that's one of the major purposes of this BBS (I believe), and I think most of us would have like to have seen some homecoming epilogues (I would have). But still, endgame needs no redemption. It was one of the best Trek episodes ever made.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Many people do not like Engame because they fail to appreciate the wonderfulness that is two Janeways.

[​IMG]

I pity them.

4. Vulcan Logician

But what is the better "two Janeway" scenerio? Deadlock? or Endgame? I say Deadlock, because Harry Kim gets sucked out into space somewhere in there, but doesn't permanently die.

5. teacake

I am a fan of the Admiral.

She has pretty silver hair :adore:

6. Vulcan Logician

But she gave up coffee! What possessed her? The deadlock Janeway never committed such a sacrilege.

7. teacake

Grief.

[​IMG]

8. Vulcan Logician

You win Teacake. As I analyze things in my head, Endgame is the superior "two Janeway" episode. It is just so magnificently super-awesome. Who could deny it? Though Deadlock is still thoroughly awesome.

9. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Quite a few people LOL. My daughter has not seen it, will not watch it under any circumstances. It is probably the most "fixed" episode in Voyager fan fiction, and has been "fixed" by some writers multiple times. There is even a Youtube edited fix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5-KAjeuVDs

10. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd like Endgame more if it didn't show such utter disregard for the timeline.

Though I suppose if you assume they jumped into an alternate timeline instead the damage is mitigated somewhat...

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The more enjoyable way of doing Endgame would've just been a "Where are they now?" epilogue episode that shows that they DID get home, never bothered explaining how (I mean honestly, there are enough Wormholes and God Aliens to justify it) and just focused on there lives back on Earth.

12. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

(I think the most fixed episode in Star Trek is probably going to turn out to be TATV, the Enterprise finale. So far it has a series of mass-market novels with Trip Tucker NOT DEAD. I'm liking them a lot.)

13. teacake

LOL Jeri, SO TRUE! When it's fixed by actual Treklit you know it was bad!

14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

"Deadlock" did it better.

15. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was stoked when I first watched Endgame when it seemed to me they were going to do something insanely clever with the future reunion. I was thinking how awesome was this, they're going to tell a few adventures in flashback about how they got home mixed in with where they are now in life and what happened after.

Then... like Voyager so often does... they disappointed me and failed to deliver. No, let's get Janeway and Voyager in yet another time travel scenario that's facepalming as can be, and let's put them in a scenario that's less conceivable than a video game on god mode. Which I guess is basically what the batmobile armor and supertechnobabble one shot torpedoes are.

I could've even tolerated the time travel nonsense again if it at least gave us -something- of a resolution beyond... a two second okay they're home shot. Fade to black. Though I guess at least it's consistent in being disappointing. Really that's the verdict on the whole series for me. It wasn't the worst. But it could've been so much better.

16. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly! :D

17. Control Voice

Control Voice Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I really like this idea.;)

18. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I liked Endgame well enough, though I wish we could have had more about the crew after getting home. Still, Q getting involved would have made it fun.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C72Vb2DZ2ss[/yt]

19. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Deadlock is the superior two Janeway episode, IMO. Kim's death is also a huge plus! Damn reset buttom :sigh:

I do think that after having them all so desperate to get home, it would have been nice to see a few reunions for the crew and their families.

20. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

:wtf: :vulcan: :cardie:

BEST:guffaw: JOKE:guffaw: EVER :guffaw:! :guffaw:! :guffaw:!

Man you made me laugh! :techman: