TrekBBS movie ranking thread!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by F. King Daniel, Aug 14, 2013.

?

What are your favorite Trek movies? Tick all that apply

1. Star Trek: The Motion Picture

36.6%
  2. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

85.2%
  3. Star Trek III: The Search For Spock

37.3%
  4. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

60.6%
  5. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

14.1%
  6. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

70.4%
  7. Star Trek Generations

21.1%
  8. Star Trek: First Contact

64.8%
  9. Star Trek: Insurrection

9.9%
  10. Star Trek Nemesis

9.2%
  11. Star Trek

52.8%
  12. Star Trek Into Darkness

49.3%
  13. Galaxy Quest

27.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nine of Four

Nine of Four Commander Red Shirt

We've all watched it too many times....

IV was the first Star Trek film I ever watched, I watched it when I was 6. I will forever be my favorite.....

2. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

I'd say the number of people who prefer Batman & Robin over the Nolan trilogy is about the same number of people who prefer peanut butter on their pizza over pepperoni. I never doubted that there would be someone somewhere who would disagree, just that I've never met them and even if I did, they are still in the extreme minority on that view.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

True enough.

But how do you feel about pineapple on pizza? :)

4. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

^ I can take it or leave it...

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Hawaiian Style" was my favorite kind of pizza growing up. But I no longer eat meat so it's just the pineapple ... and other stuff.

I think it's the perfect topping. There's something about the citrusy sweetness the blends so well with the tangy mozzarella.

And, um, the pineapple is Adam West in this analogy, right? Cesar Romero sort of looked like a pineapple.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The best is pineapple with chillie flakes.

7. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

I would guess that the only reason for that preference is if they preferred lighter or campier superheroes and thought the Nolan trilogy was too dark and serious. Taste is subjective, and I sometimes enjoy things that I know are of a lower quality, story-wise, just because they're more fun, or I'll dislike a well-written but overly violent movie because I don't like a lot of violence in movies that I watch.

8. Nine of Four

Nine of Four Commander Red Shirt

I think Batman and Robin falls under the "so good it's bad category".....

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The only surprise is how many people voted for STVI, such a mediocre film in every way.

I voted for TWOK, STID and ST09, by far the three best films.

10. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I'm one of them. ;)

The Undiscovered Country is my second favorite movie, right behind TWOK.

11. Greg Cox

ST VI is probably my third-favorite, after Khan and the one with the whales. I find it addictively compelling every time I watch it.

12. SJK91

SJK91 Ensign Red Shirt

I have finally finished watching the Star Trek films. Phew.

1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) - 8.5/10
    The best Trek film. It's exciting, well paced, and has one hell of a bad guy. Spock's death (and implied future) is such a powerful ending. Horner's score is magnificent.

2. Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) - 8/10
    Gets A TON of hate, but I honestly thought it was great fun. Plot holes, yes, but great fun, and even a few touching scenes. Also a great villain with Benedict - though not as good as Montalban of course!

3. Star Trek (2009) - 7.5/10
    A good origin story. Once again, some plot holes and I really don't care for Nero at all, but some great character moments.

4. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991) - 7.5/10
    A good way to end the TOS era of Star Trek. Plummer is a great bad guy, and the story is satisfyingly twisty/turny. Some unnecessary silliness, but still a good conclusion.

5. Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Director's Edition (1979) - 7.5/10
    A massively underrated film. It is too long, yes, but a very interesting and cerebral plot. Also, I just love the mood and tone of the film. Goldsmith's score is one of the best I've ever heard.

6. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) - 7/10
    Actually a really funny and witty script. I just wish the plot was a little more fleshed out. It surely is wacky, but its such a fun time.

7. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1982) - 6/10
    DeForrest Kelley steals the show. Spock's absence is sorely missed, though, and I dislike Robin Curtis as Saavik. Some witty moments in the script, but a slightly disappointing follow up to Khan.

8. Star Trek: First Contact (1996) - 6/10
    The best of the Next Generation films, but still feels like a TV show, and pales in comparison (story-wise) to The Best of Both Worlds two parter.

9. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989) - 5/10
    The problems with this film are obvious. However, the scene between Sybok and McCoy is truly stand-out, and is the film's only really good scene.

10. Star Trek: Nemesis (2002) - 5/10
    Tom Hardy tries, but the script fails. It seems like the Next Generation cast has just run out of gas - and I never really thought any of their movies were that good in the first place.

11. Star Trek: Insurrection (1998) - 5/10
    I really don't know what to say about this film. It exists, I suppose. There is absolutely NOTHING in the film that is memorable in anyway.

12. Star Trek: Generations (1994) - 4/10
    In my mind, the only awful Trek film. The Next Generation cast (at least shown here) are not half as interesting as the TOS cast. Worse yet, the film pisses on Captain Kirk by giving him one of the worst death scenes in the history of film. Truly terrible.

13. TheGoodStuff

TheGoodStuff Captain Captain

I have voted:

1. TMP

To me, a seriously underrated movie. I love the epic feel of it, the tone. The plot is intelligent & grandiose. I love it.

2. The Wrath Of Khan

I cannot say anything more than millions of Trekkies have said already. It is an epic movie. Cerebral, tragic, exciting, dramatic...it has it all. Brilliant film.

3. The Voyage Home

This film should not work. A Trek comedy? Set on Earth? And yet...it totally does. It IS funny, the characters are fun and the movie is pure entertainment.

4. The Undiscovered Country

Definitely the black sheep of the franchise....this is arguably the best film in the franchise! It is balanced, has action, diplomacy, tension and drama. It feels like a more mature film than many others.

5. First Contact

FINALLY my beloved TNG has a film that is actually properly done. The Borg get the big screen treatment and it is full of all the action and drama that you would expect. Edge of your seat awesome.

14. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, well, you might have heard about opinions. It's a difficult concept.

15. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I totally agree. Especially the horrible way they portrayed Kirk's death.

16. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Agreed. I am not a fan of comedies in general, but everything just clicked in this one and hit all the right notes. The awesome ending is also a huge plus. "My friends, we've come home." :techman:

17. TheGoodStuff

TheGoodStuff Captain Captain

Im glad you agree and understand what I was trying to say. When I first watched it [and had heard about it] I expected a long, lame slog. I was so pleasantly surprised by it. Its just so fun.

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Seems like Nemesis, Insurrection and The Final Frontier are on the losing end, behind Galaxy Quest.

Are Baird, Frakes and Shatner now allowed to say "Fuck you"? :rofl:

19. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

You forgot Master & Commander as an option. :D

20. Greg Cox

What about Forbidden Planet?