Can Data be assimilated by the Borg?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by los2188, Nov 11, 2012.

1. los2188

los2188 Commander Red Shirt

There's something that I've always wondered about. Can Data be assimilated by the Borg? I remember him being called "obsolete" in Best of Both Worlds, but I also recall hearing more than a few times that the Borg needed their organic parts in order to survive. I ask this because for many years after watching First Contact, I could never quite figure out why Data wasn't assimilated so the queen Borg would be able to know that Data was playing along, but was still on the side of the Federation.

2. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The queen wanted a counterpart, rather than just another mindless drone.

3. los2188

los2188 Commander Red Shirt

Yes I understand that, but could he actually be assimilated??

4. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Data is a technological device, and thus can be assimilated. It would be no different than the Borg subverting a ship's computer systems.

Whether or not Data can *fight back* is unclear. But the Borg can certainly try.

That applies to drones which had organic parts in the first place, yes. But we've seen Borg taking over computer systems, and Data would be the same. You don't need organic parts to survive if you never had them. The Borg are a collection of millions of different species; some of these surely were not organic.

6. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I don't see why Data couldn't be assimilated. After all, the Borg have never had any trouble assimilating completely technological things. The Raven, for example.

7. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

"we will add your biological & technological distinctiveness to our own"

That's assuming your biological and/or technological distinctiveness is of any use to the Borg and not, in fact, "obsolete".

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

If the Borg could assimilate portions of the Enterprise, surely they could assimilate Data.

9. Kooz

Kooz Lieutenant Red Shirt

Data could be assimilated; remember when Masaka rewrote his programming in Masks.

10. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Locutus says Data is primitive and would be obsolete in the New Order.

First Contact says Data could've been the Borg King.

So it's a matter of opinion, since both arguments have supporting canon facts.

11. Captain McBain

Captain McBain Captain Captain

Data states in First Contact that he was incapable of being assimilated, or words to that effect. Data's system would have probably fought back against the nanoprobes and defeated them. In "Contagion," for example, Data is 'killed' by the alien influence, but his program eliminates it and Data regains consciousness.

12. T'Preea

T'Preea Commander Red Shirt

I don't see why Data couldn't be. Of course, his defense program would kick in; but ultimately, they very well could assimilate him into the Collective.

13. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

If Data can get "drunk", then he get assimilated IMO.