Wm. Shatner Bio

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Space Marshal, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Space Marshal

Space Marshal Cadet Newbie

I saw a 20-min. interview with Wm. Shatner on W5 on Sunday n they talked about acting being emotionally draining n his PriceLine ads n the usual stuff. I then looked him up on Wikipedia n IMDB n elsewhere n found several errors n discrepancys. In Wikipedia it says he was born in Côte-St-Luc, but the references they give don't mention it altho it would make sense since it is a mostly Judaic district, n I had heard he was born in Outremont. He did grow up in NDG. I was born in Park X, so-called because it started as an extension of Park Avenue, n is just N of Outremont. Anyways, his exact place of birth seems unclear.

IMDB says he had a house on Bag Avenue in Laval (both a's in Laval pronounced short like in pan in both English n French; the a in Montreal in French is said the same way), which is the city where I live, but there's no such street in this city, but there is a Bagot street, which is in the Auteuil district. They also say he grew up on Giraud Street, but it's Girouard, which is in NDG. They say he got a B.Com. in economics, but in another site it's a BA. They say he is fluent in French, but no more because he lost much of it since he lives in the States. In this video http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPJLHpO1n9wfrom the Comic Con in Montreal he says in French, "I wanted to speak French but I lost my vocabulary." They boo Toronto which is rude. Toronto is a great city, too. It also says his father had a store in Laval, but it probably was in Montreal; that has Ukrainian ancestry, but only partly, as he's mostly of Germanic (Austrian) descent (the original name Schattner is German n "schatten" means shadow); n that there's a Kirkland in Quebec, which is false, there's a Kirkland in Washington n a Kirkland Lake in Ontario.

And there's no bio that says he was on All About Faces in '71, which he was, n it was a great but short-lived game show out of Toronto.

2. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

According to the very detailed Schattner/Shatner geneology page at http://home.comcast.net/~pschattner/Schattner.html the family originated in Kuty "located at the base of the Carpathian Mountains on the Czermosz River on the border between the provinces of Bukovina and Galicia. The nearest city of any size is Czernovtsy. A good map of this area is available on the Web. (Kuty is in the lower right corner of the map - it is located approximately 50 km west of Czernovitz). At various times in the last two centuries, Kuty has been part of Poland, Austria-Hungary, Roumania, the Soviet Union and the Ukraine."

3. Space Marshal

Correction: There is a Kirkland in Quebec, it's on the Island of Montreal. I found it on maps I have.

4. Space Marshal

That's interesting info, mb22. I looked at the link n it says Schattner may not be German; they're not sure what it is.