Merlin on BBC1 (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by captcalhoun, Sep 21, 2008.

1. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Maybe he's a Monty Python fan. :lol:

2. Caleuche

Caleuche Commander Red Shirt

I believe in the 'Are you looking forward to Merlin' thread I criticized the casting of Victor Meldrew, Merlin and the corruption of Arthurian legend. I believe I also that I said I was looking forward to the Dragon. Having now actually seen the program, I would now like to take that all back.
    All in all, it passes the time pleasurably enough. Merlin and Richard Wilson medic-guy were the two most easily likable and well acted characters. Gwen had good repport with Merlin. Tony Head seemed bored by magic/kingy scenes, but perked up for family/pretty lady scenes. The dragon was ropey CGI who says the word 'destiny' far too much. They wasn't enough Arthurian legend left to criticize the corruption!:lol: I will continue watching to see where they go with this. My hope is that Morgana's up to something, otherwise I don't see much point in her character.

3. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

yes Merlin & Gauis work well together, and so does Merlin & Arthur, the problem is whilst those moments are nice, the plots to support them arnt there yet.

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well I thought the second episode was enjoyable enough but this really is lightweight stuff, and Merlin and Arthur are bonding perhaps a touch too quickly, I'm hoping something will come between them sooner or later.

It's not a show I'll ever want to own but its diverting enough before Strictly comes on :lol:

5. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Enjoyable enough. As above, not something I'd pick up on DVD, but something I'd definitely watch if it were on.

6. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Sunday Mirror TV critic Kevin O'Sullivan likes it. he particularly liked the fact that Arthur actually killed Valiant. unlike that namby-pamby PC Robin Hood (so he said).

7. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

That is a good point, I took notice of that fact, but didn't quite realise why, so that's probably why.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I think this is something that rises Merlin above Robin Hood for me, admittedly I only saw the first 3 or 4 eps of Hood, but no one ever seemed to die despite all these battles raging. It was like the A-Team only nowhere near as cool!

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Is it just me though, or is Tony Head just phoning it in?

10. Bob The Skutter

I'm not sure if that's it, or if it is just the character. Because he seems to be rather stiff and forced a lot of the time, then seems to brighten up in certain scenes. So I'm hoping it's just how the character is written at this point.

11. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The death count gets much higher at the end of the first season. Robin even starts shooting to kill when its necessary.

12. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

I'll give im the benefit of the doubt. But if he pops round to the castle next door to borrow some coffee, then the show's over, I'm afraid. ;)

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah. They even killed Marian. Oh, wait...

14. denmaroca

denmaroca Captain Captain

A nice, simply plotted piece of entertainment. And that's what the show is designed to do - entertain a wide range of people. It's why it's on in prime-time on a Saturday; and why a US network has picked it up. It's obviously not dark enough or have complex enough plotting to satisfy most SF afficionados - but that stuff turns most people off, which is why genre shows are usually shown off-peak or on minor channels.

There was a fair bit of character delineation (but then that's not hard in a second episode), especially for Arthur. And there might be an ongoing plot point, as I got the impression that there was something physically wrong with Uther - the shock of nearly losing Arthur bringing it out.

15. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

about 6 episodes in, the show kills off one of Robins men

16. Bob The Skutter

Has everyone stopped watching, or was there just nothing worth talking about this week?

17. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I watched it, just havnt bothered to review.

the show is getting better, and judging by next weeks episode it will continue to improve, at last a bad guy (girl) who survived the episode, and given her history with Uther, I think we may see alot of her this series.

18. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i was lazy and couldn't be botehred to reanimate the thread.

it was quite good. loved the gags that Merlin fancied Gwen and was in denial.

MR = HOT!

19. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I've enjoyed all the episodes. This week's was enjoyable, too. It was nice to see ASH get animated for a change. There was a moment when I thought I was watching Giles. I'm really fond of Richard Wilson's character, and I think the guy playing Merlin is very engaging.

20. Bob The Skutter

I'm enjoying it, too. My nieces seem to be enjoying it as well. I guess they're gonna be going for the love triangle with Arthur/Gwen/Merlin down the road.