Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Godless Raven, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Lord Manitou

Lord Manitou Commander Red Shirt

What you are saying is ludicrous. The convergence of Tom Paris and Naomi Wildman would be a hermaphrodite and otherwise unusual. Tuvix wasn't really out of the ordinary which makes Janeway's decision all the more stupifying.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Samantha Wildman "Who the hell glued a penis on my daughter?!"

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Okay, same scenario, but Samantha and Tom as the new entity.

4. Guy Gardener

Niamoi "Who the hell glued a penis on my mommy!?!"

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Where can I sign up for this.. maybe I can get just the bottom half of my body welded into a super multiple appendage blend 43 by only transporting that half with some equally adventurous male's bottom half. Actually this sounds painful. But I do so think that somewhere there is a cult of body modders using the transporter to do really cool stuff.

6. Guy Gardener

Above was a plot point on an episode of Century City, a show made 10 years ago about Lawyers in 2030.

This guy was suing for intentional infliction of emotional distress and fraud becuase after he had finished having sex with this girl (Rosealee from Grimm if you watch that.), he noticed that she "also" had a surgically grafted aesthetic (though completely real in post respects) penis.

7. JanetJaneway

JanetJaneway Cadet Newbie

The issue has sparked a lot of discussion... On the one side Janeway is right: Tuvix is the result of the merger between Neelix and Tuvok, on the other side ... Well, Tuvix is a sentient being, is alive, he has friends ...
    I think it is a murder. Although Tuxok and Neelix formed Tuvix.

Anyway, I think if I had been Janeway would have done the same...

8. Guy Gardener

Do you think that if "something" like a bug bite had required putting the Captain and her first Officer into a medically induced coma, that Tuvix would have been made Captain?

9. teacake

No. He is too compromised, a wild card.

10. JanetJaneway

JanetJaneway Cadet Newbie

I'm not saying that would be given immediately the degree and the confidence that they had earned Tuvok or Neelix. He would have had to earn. Once this is done, yes, for me it would have been made in command. Take Seven of Nine: At the beginning she was discriminated against by all, more than half the crew was against her. Then by the time she has earned the trust of everyone.
    The point however is not that. It was a living being, it was alive, was sentient. For me it would haven't to die.
    However, given the situation, given all the pros and cons I would have done what Janeway did. I also would have done back Tuvok and Neelix, I just say that it is still murder. Although Tuvix includes two people is a sentient being and deserve to live. :)

11. Guy Gardener

But Tuvix kept making Kes feel skeevy because she had to tell him incessantly in increasing volume that she was not going to #### him.

That makes him a de facto rapist bordering on a de facto paedophile because of her age.

Case in point, there's a 60 percent chance that Kes and Neelix never slept together intimately, and the sex urge propelling Tuvix into that dirty, dirty, dirty sort of relationship wth the little blonde girl who is unprepared for anyhting so hot and moist, came totally from the Tuvok side of the genetic soup that made up Tuvix.

But that is what it came down to, Tuvix had to die becuase he was unfrakkable by Kes' high standards.

By that thinking, Tom should have been able to maroon or murder Janeway after she raped him and B'Elanna should have been able to maroon or murder Vorrik after he "mind" raped her into a sexual frenzy where she alsmot raped Tom... Didn't Kashak have the moral high ground becuase he was kissing Janeway becuase she was pretty?

Amazing the double standards you can find if you peel back a couple layers.

The First Officer was terrorist scum.

Hypothetically how many weeks would they have had to have been in the Delta Qudrant, before Tuvok would have allowed power to pass to Chakotay down the chain of command after what seemed like an accident caused Janeways untimely death?

Oh.

I was thinking seaosn 3.

Any time before seaosn three and Tuvok would have double tapped the back of Chakotays head with a compression rifle, which has me rethinking about Resolutions?

Did Chakotay really get bit by a bug so terribley that he had to be marooned with Janeway, or did someone intentionally infect him quickly after they saw what happened to Janeway when it seemed like the Ship would be lost to Maquis control?

I could see either the Doctor having protocols to keep the command structure Starfleet heavy and I could see Tuvok being a complete asshole, he doesn't crave power, but there is no way he should trust a terrorist with the lives of the 150 crew and their mission home that early in the game.

12. teacake

He trusts Janeway's decisions, and he trusts starfleet protocol in that Vulcan stickler way. Though I think he should derail Chak taking over the ship early on at the death of the Captain those two factors I believe would prevent him from doing so.

13. Guy Gardener

He trusts Janeway's results, but Tuvok has no idea how the fucked up totally wrong decisions this illogical human makes always lead to a pleasant outcome by stories end.

He fights her a lot (Prime Factors, the Omega Directive, the Void.), and then mostly has to admit that he was wrong and she was right because that's how the rulesin this universe works. Janeway always wins no matter how messed up her proccess is..

14. teacake

Yes! Yes! This is why she rose from the dead as well!!

15. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    So, his ending up in that asylum is not unlike Inspector Dreyfus after years of of seeing Clouseau's antics work out?

16. teacake

^:guffaw:

does your dog bite..?

17. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

No, it was not the right decision.

Yes, it absolutely was murder.

Janeway should have been court marshaled by the Federation and then found guilty of murder and sentenced to life in prison.

That is definitely what the Federation would do if it was not hypocritical and if it truly valued all life as it claims to be its core value.

18. Guy Gardener

Can you imagine Tom visiting Janeway in the New Zealand Penal Colony?

Bookends, y'know?

19. TheGoodStuff

TheGoodStuff Captain Captain

So, I cant read 1000 posts on this so I'll just chip in with my opinion.

Janeway was right.

Tuvix is a freak accident. No history, no family. Is it unfortunate, even tragic? Yes.

But what would have been more tragic is abandoning two men with lives, with careers and [in Tuvok's case] with families to die. Janeway could not afford to let sentiment get in the way of restoring two real crewmen who were forced together to create a hybrid.

Sure its uncomfortable. Its meant to be. However, in my opinion, Janeway made the only real choice there was: fix the mistake and save two lives.

20. teacake

She was fixing a transporter accident.