THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Skywalker, Mar 21, 2011.

1. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not surprised that the film is being criticized over its length. This is the same guy who took 45 minutes for the characters to arrive at Skull Island in King Kong. The fact that Jackson insists on three hour movies to bloat his massive ego does not bode well for the next two films. It worked for Lord of the Rings, that was a trilogy of books. But doing it to The Hobbit is a mistake he refuses to see.

But I have to say I'm disappointed to hear that he's CGI'd The Hobbit to death. I figured the film would at least look great. But he's apparently gone all CGI, from the Orcs to the models. In other words, he's become the thing that fanboys hate the most. George Lucas. I can't wait to read the Jackson fanboys try to bend over backwards to defend him on that one.

I am glad to hear that Martin Freeman is getting great notices for his performance. Anyone whose seen Sherlock wouldn't be surprised.

I'm still looking forward to seeing this film and hoping it will turn out all right.

2. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I love all the length of LOTR, but King Kong was a bloated mess. No excuse for them taking 45 minutes to reach the island. There was a spectacular 90 minute movie lurking inside there...

4. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Incredible. Thanks for that. Love seeing the process. I dunno why PJ is getting such harsh personal criticism ... his professional demeanor seems very ... well ... professional.

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

People enjoy being critical. That and they see a three-hour run time and their eyes glaze over. *shrug*

I'm going to wait until after I watch the film (at least once) before I watch the above link but I looking forward to it.

6. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

It's almost as if Peter Jackson made that movie with those fan editors in mind. :lol:

Seriously, I didn't hate it, but have never once re-watched it. One of the critics said it best: "Hollywood needs an enema, and Peter Jackson needs an editor". This movie should be taught in film schools. "How not to edit a movie 101" :)

7. The Nth Doctor

I just watched the first two episodes of The Colbert Report's "Hobbit Week" and they both left me in stitches. Stephen Colbert is probably one of the biggest Tolkien nerds on the face of the planet and his glee for Middle Earth and Peter Jackson's films directly reflects my own. I loved his interviews with Ian McKellen, who is the epitome of cool, and Martin Freeman, who is so gracious in his new found stardom. Lastly, I don't know what's more awesome: The fact that Stephen Colbert smokes pipe-weed at the beginning of the second episode or that Martin Freeman is a big fan of Legos.

I look forward to Peter Jackson's and Andy Serkis' appearances.

8. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

McKellan: "I don't know Gandalf's middle name."
    Colbert: "Fifty Shades of."
    :lol:

9. Greylock Crescent

^ Hilarious!

Almost as good: Legless Lego Legolas :guffaw:

10. Vasquez Rocks

Vasquez Rocks Commodore Commodore

Pretty detailed review by the Armchair Director guys Crandall and Mercy.

Spoilers...

Part One
    [yt]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2e5wGGaEl8[/yt]

Part Two
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HBMqUjzstI[/yt]

11. Greylock Crescent

I can't believe they stretched that review into two parts, they clearly could have condensed it into one. :p

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Just be thankful they didn't stretch it out to three. :p

13. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

10/10

14. The Nth Doctor

Both moments left me in stitches. :guffaw:

15. Greylock Crescent

I have to say, I've never been a huge fan of Colbert ... but I love his unabashed enthusiasm for these films. Whether or not they turn out to live up to expectations, or even be any good ... might as well enjoy the anticipation. Have fun with it.

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Grading thread is up! :techman:

We can take the discussion of reviews over there if you all like, or keep it in here, whichever works.

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it's pretty save to say that many reviewers are LotR fanboys whose extremely high expectations (that are not even met by the LotR films themselves) got disappointed.

18. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last night's visit by Andy Serkis was just as fun, that guy just embodies his characters. And Ian McKellan's five-second, three-word cameo was priceless. :)

Mark

19. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Empire has a thoughtful review of the movie (48 FPS version).

(Edit: Total Film also has a review here).

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm reading LOTR for the first time in a few years, having just seen FOTR:EE again, and my appreciate for the films just continues to grow. FOTR was such a brilliant condensing of the book, cutting out what wasn't needed yet keeping so many of those wonderful bits of dialogue and splendor. What a wonderful book, and what a wonderful adaptation. Bring on The Hobbit! Part One!