Why did Data want to be Human?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by The Borg Queen, Oct 7, 2012.

1. The Borg Queen

The Borg Queen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Surely trying to be Vulcan would have been more suitable for Data, right? :vulcan:

He can Logic with the best of them and doesn't have to concern himself with trying to understand emotions.

Trying to emulate a person is all well and good, but why a Human person specifically? Is it solely because Soong was a Human?

2. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

People seem to have a tendency to do as they perceive their creator wishes. Data probably figures that Soong wanted to create an artificial human because he made Data look like a human. Thus Data likely thinks that his goal in life should be becoming human.

3. The Borg Queen

The Borg Queen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You may as well say that he made Data look like a Betazoid, or an El Aurian, or any of the dozens of other alien species that all look the same...

Sure Betazoids have dark eyes, but no Human has Yellow eyes, either...

4. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Also, in Starfleet, most of his commanding officers, colleagues and friends -- therefore, his role models -- were human.

5. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There would be no point in attempting to emulate a Vulcan. As you point out, he can use logic already. Aspiring to do something you can already do very well is pointless goal.

I do concur that he chose human because his creator was human.

6. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Data's goal was to emulate a Vulcan all he needed to do was make some pointy ears and the character arc would be over in 5 minutes.

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would imagine it was programmed into him and was probably the biggest difference between Data and Lore besides the emotions.

8. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    he wanted to take an evolutionary step in the wrong direction...

9. T'Preea

T'Preea Commander Red Shirt

Data's story is like that of Pinnochio. He wanted to be a real boy because it was something he wasn't. We all want to be something we're not because we think that life will be better that way. What Data didn't realize was that he was perfect the way he was. I think that if he had succeeded in his endeavor, it would have destroyed him as a person. I can't imagine him as a real human. I think it would be slightly awkward.

10. Genesis

Genesis Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Well, 'perfect' may be over-stating it, but it would've been awesome to see him realize he was equal--that being different did not in any way make him less. That would've been a powerful statement for all of us in the real world who are made to feel less for thinking and feeling differently too.

*sigh* Well, that's what's fanfiction is for, I suppose.

ETA: I agree Data as a real human would've been terrible. His differences were what made him so special and likable. Just too bad he never seemed to fully realize that.

11. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

This.

Data's desire to be human represents the desire for a clear sense of personal & spiritual identity. It doesn't mean he thinks humans are better than androids (in fact, he acknowledges the reverse is true in many respects in his first conversation with Riker in EaF) but he still doesn't feel complete. So he strives to be human. He could have chosen anything, really; it's the journey that matters in terms of finding an identity he's comfortable with.

12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It's not unusual for a child to want to be like their parents. As many have said, Data's father was human, so...

"Zammis get four five?"

13. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

I LOVE the Enemy Mine quote. My favorite short story ever. It coincided with the birth of our older daughter in September, 1979.

14. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Vulcan's have emotions, but supress them.

Data would have been asking for a WHOLE 'nother set of problems.

"Let's see... I have to learn how to feel emotions, but then not let myself show them to anyone, and at the same time remain as stoic, efficient and artificial as ever."

15. T'Preea

What I meant by that statement was simply that there is nothing wrong with him the way he is. He's unique, and that's what makes him special.

16. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    There are humans who have problems getting a hold of their emotions. Not everyone is the same, even amongst humanity. Trying to become more than the sum of your parts is one thing; trying to be something you're not is quite another. He wasn't human, and that should have been okay. You shouldn't try to change what you are.

17. T'Preea

Of course, I can understand why Data would want to be human. For instance, we have feelings and experiences that he will never have. It's not that he's lacking, not at all; but he has that curiosity that will never be sated such as what it's like to laugh, cry; have an emotional response to the moving chords of a song, or to even taste what he eats or drinks. It's not that he's unhappy with who he is, he's just wanting to experience the little things that we as humans so often take for granted.

18. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

From a production point of view, it was so the writers could use Data as a way to explore facets of Humanity in a way that allowed the audience to gain a fresh perspective on them.

From an in-universe point of view, it might have been because Humans strove to improve themselves, to become more than they were.

19. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Maybe, but I suppose he would be better off if he accepted that he isn't human, and that that's just as good. I mean, what are humans who are unable to feel like the majority supposed to say? I understand what you're trying to say here, and that's what he's obviously after, but my advice would be: try to better yourself, yes, but don't try to be something and someone you're not. You're perfectly fine just the way you are, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

20. Captain McBain

Captain McBain Captain Captain

Technically, Data shouldn't have had any desire to become human. He has no emotion, and therefore shouldn't have desire. It's also questionable as to why Data considers Geordi his friend, or Worf his friend, etc. Friendship implies an emotional bond between individuals.