Is the "Yesterday's Enterprise" alt-timeline the REAL one?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Lance, Aug 2, 2013.

1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There were two Riker's in the Ten Forward scene... it can't be real.

[​IMG]

2. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    There. Are. FOUR! RIKERS!!!!

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

First Contact and ENT are part of the existing timeline. They're not a new one. They were always supposed to happen.

And both are common to the prime and Abrams timelines.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

In just that episode, Riker and Troi were inflicted with a TERRIBLE aging virus. Thankfully, Crusher was able to find the cure and reverse its effects before we got back to their scenes in Pegasus!:devil:

5. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

People can still have thier personal canon and continuity. I don't watch much ENT at all so I could easily see how the JJ universe began with First Contact and the Enterpise D helping with the first warp flight.

6. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Well...people can't actually have personal canon...that's an oxymoron...but personal continuity, sure! (/grammar-nazi)

7. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

true, I misspoke. :) I think many of us have our personal continuities. I know some fans who don't think the JJ movies even exist!

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, actually, they can't. The whole meaning of "canon" is what is an official source. That cannot be disputed.

9. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Gojira already acknowledged that he misspoke...

10. Jerikka Dawn

Jerikka Dawn Captain Captain

In my own personal continuity, the "war" timeline as seen in YE is the "real" one. As for Guinan's perceptions in the war timeline, they can be explained by her being deep, deep, deep cover Section 31 working for or even with people to manipulate history, whether they are Federation time police, or some other agency or party.

One possible theory is that the Federation Department of Temporal investigations (or it's 2344 counterpart) made note of the temporal rift and later investigation by Starfleet Intelligence found that the Enterprise-C may have fell into it. They eventually calculated it's target point in space and time and it was kept classified.

Years later, with the Federation months from surrendering to the Klingon Empire, Starfleet being beaten, Section 31 arranged to have the Enterprise-D near the location of the rift. They used their operative Guinan who'd been friends with Picard for years and had earned his trust, to come up with some story about the timeline feeling wrong in order to convince Picard to send the E-C back and thus we have the TNG timeline we all know and love.

It could happen lol.

11. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

That's rather convoluted! If that were the case, Starfleet would just order Picard to assist sending back the Enterprise-C. He'd have done his duty like a good military officer.

12. Jerikka Dawn

Yeah I didn't think it that far through :D :D They probably would have sent both ships back armed to the teeth :D

13. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

Of all ships to encounter the anomaly at the time, it had to be the Enterprise, and in both timelines!

14. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Temporal anomalies are plot sensitive.

15. Jerikka Dawn

^^ yeah.

Writers putting thoughts on paper create subspace disturbances which eventually make their way to one of the many Star Trek universes where they manifest themselves and are perceived as subspace anomalies such as temporal rifts, möbius loops, and temporal fractures.

I don't think we can take the writers completely out of the causality analysis of events within any of the Star Trek timelines.

That's pretty freaky.

16. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Don't be sorry for them, be sorry for me. I had been inflicted with a terrible Riker story.

After all these years as the first officer of Picard's Enterprise-D, Riker still didn't have the character strength within him to make a personal decision whether to tell the truth or not - and needed a history lesson to make up his mind. :rofl:

(this is obviously why I don't like retroactive continuity and rather prefer to ignore it, it does more harm than good)

Bob

P.S. Have found nothing here to persuade me, that the Enterprise-C was definitely from the "past" of the "true" TNG reality, so Probert's Enterprise-C could still be the original one from the "true" reality?