Star Trek UK shop

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nixel, May 19, 2013.

1. nixel

nixel Cadet Newbie

Trying to get to the bottom of something and thought someone here might know something or have an idea how I can proceed.

I'm in the UK, and I recently ordered something from shop.startrek.com. However, when I now visit that url, I get redirected to startrekshop.co.uk. When I try to log in there it doesn't work, which makes sense because I registered on shop.startrek.com - as far as I know this UK shop didn't exist when I ordered: I certainly didn't get redirected there.

I now can't find a way to browse shop.startrek.com to a) log in and track my order or b) contact them to ask them the questions I'm asking here. Does anyone know if this UK shop is legit - it doesn't look very professional! Or does anyone have any technical ideas to avoid the redirect?

I had no idea which forum to post this in, please move it somewhere if you think it would be better there!

Thanks for any ideas!

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

From here in the U.S. I can browse to both of those websites and they both look fairly professional to me. The fact that you're getting redirected there is a bit odd. have you tried using another computer? Maybe you have some malware redirecting to a false site?

3. nixel

nixel Cadet Newbie

Thanks for checking. I've tried from other devices, not had the opportunity yet to check from another connection. Yeah, the UK one isn't extremely unprofessional, but felt a bit under par compared with the US one, and when I connected that with the fact that I didn't get redirected when I ordered, but do now, it triggered alarm bells. I've now tried to make contact through the UK site (using a secondary email address just in case) so we'll see what happens. The domain name for the UK one seems to be registered with CBS and the SSL certificate looks legit, so I'm slightly more comfortable with it now, but still a pain that I can't reach the US site.

Anyway, thanks again for having a look.

4. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hello, I'm in the UK so I thought I'd give it a go. I get redirect too.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Tried it as well and also get redirected.

Now it is possible that it's legit, and it's an early design for the UK. They might have been getting a lot of orders from the UK and decided to open up a dedicated UK shop site. Which of course means that you pay in sterling and not dollars.

But it's a bit sloppy in places, they give telephone opening times but give the times in EST and not GMT which one might expect.

6. nixel

nixel Cadet Newbie

Thanks both for taking a look.

Yeah, exactly. The biggest concern for me is that on the Help page there's an iframe pointing to FAQ-type questions on an entirely different website, musictoday.com. That's decidedly dodgy.

7. diesel

diesel Cadet Newbie

what i want to know is why stop you checking your orders why cant they transfer the content to the GB site or create a link to the order page for our benefit in the mean time?

8. nixel

nixel Cadet Newbie

Precisely. Not heard anything back in response to my contacting the UK site. :(