STID's plot holes unrivaled?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Mountie1988, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Doubtfull

2. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Or, you know, did not disable the ship's navigation systems. I mean, there's no possible way the ship navigated automatically one orbit out without giving a warning, unless it was designed by morons. And even if it was, it would have been fixed the second time it went to the wrong place.

Well, technically, the bridge was empty, so it was easier than that, and there are even more transporter "plot holes" in STID. You know why? Because the damn transporter is a plot hole every second time something happens because of its very existence. The missions that couldn't be magically ended by using it are counted on the fingers on my right hand after that table saw accident.

3. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TWOK is filled with plot holes and character stupidity. A sampling would include, but not be limited to:
    -Ceti Alpha 5 or 6? And no, a planet does NOT take the orbit of another destroyed planet.
    -Kirk, the 'seasoned' captain, failed to raise shields - contra regulations - despite having ample warning as to the Reliant's suspicious behaviour. Who cares about regulations when you have a gigantic ego that just got a few of your crew killed, yes?
    -the eel leaving Chekov's head. Because it was bored due to a lack of brain to consume?
    -Khan, the so-called 'super-man' is not smart enough to realise space has 3 spatial dimensions, as opposed to 2. I've seen shows with monkeys who realised this just fine.
    -etc

By comparison with these, STID is the peak of logical consistency.
    Unrivaled plot holes? Not even close.

4. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

There's a lot of that here, and I don't understand the personal attacks I keep seeing. Completely counterproductive. Keeps the mods busy though. It doesn't take an psychic to guess when thread closure or warnings are imminent. :rolleyes:

By what rubric do you measure STiD as average at best? Box office results are not in line with that assessment. General audience reception and reviews have been very positive.

Finally, comparing STiD to Nem, VOY, and ENT... IMO those are well below average in terms of quality, sales, and entertainment value (with a few episode exceptions). In addition to my personal opinion, I'd point to sales figures to back that up, but I don't think I need to.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Oh Lordy, Lordy!!! I've finally seen the light!!! How could I possibly enjoy something that I find fun and exciting!!! I've been following the false Trek prophet Abrams and am now seeking absolution!!!

What a fucking joke.

Why are you and others so damned convinced we don't know what we like? How is a pair of movies that are thought of highly by viewers and just produced the highest-grossing installment in the franchises history, running on vapors?

I get tired of pulling this graphic out:

[​IMG]

91% of 231,000 voters said they liked Star Trek Into Darkness with an average rating of 4.3.

Your definition of 'failure' comes straight from the fucking Bizarro universe.

6. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Don't ever get tired of posting positive news. There's plenty of negative to counterbalance.

Also, I'm cross-posting this from another thread.

7. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Bwa haa ha ha :lol:

8. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here you go:

9. Set Harth

Getting Kirk to fire the torpedoes at Khan, for example.

No, Scotty insisted on resigning in a moment of anger.

Inconsistent with his earlier decision not to kill him.

It's the K'normian trading ship that ends up violating Klingon territorial boundaries, not the Enterprise. According to the dialogue in the film the Enterprise was stopped in the Neutral Zone.

Because he's concerned about their overarching potential for interstellar conquest, not their troops' ability to duke it out on the ground against super-augments.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That gave me a headache...

11. bullethead

Are you sure, because the movie sure makes it seem like the Enterprise is orbiting Qo'nos/Kronos, since we never see the K'normian ship go to warp or any other indication that the planet isn't Qo'nos/Kronos.

(BTW, which spelling are going with in this forum?)

12. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

There was some line when they first boarded that the phasers can only be only set to stun. "There's won't be," Khan says.

What I can't figure out was the techno-babble line that prevented the Vengeance from firing on the Enterprise. Khan ends his explanation by saying "Which gives us the advantage."

But his explanation didn't make a lick of sense.

Another thing I can't figure out was whether Khan acknowledged Sulu's deadline in any way.

13. bullethead

I saw the movie again earlier this week and it goes something like this:
    *Kirk gives Khan a phaser from the backpack*
    Kirk: It's locked to stun.
    Khan: Theirs won't be.
    *Kirk and Scotty dialogue about Khan*
    *Scotty's phaser barrel spins from blue (stun) to kill (red)*

Those last two parts might be concurrent.

14. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

How did Marcus know that Khan would beam to an uninhabited area of Kronos. Sure he wouldn't have minded bombing an actual populated area, but he couldn't see that idea to Kirk or whomever else he got to carry out the mission.

15. Set Harth

We never see the K'normian ship go to warp, but there is a cut in which it could have done so. And it must have gone to warp at some point, because Kronos presumably isn't right on the border of the Empire ( although it's not necessarily canon, you can kind of see this at one point in the video here ). The Enterprise was stopped short of its destination. The planetary body found in its vicinity is the planetoid on which Carol and McCoy opened the torpedo.

He wasn't talking about the Vengeance firing on the Enterprise or vice versa. It had nothing to do with that. He was talking about the method they were using to travel through the ship to get to Marcus, and why they would have a theoretical advantage because the Vengeance crew would presumably hesitate to shoot in the proximity of critical systems. It made 100% sense, however many licks that is.

He did mention receiving the message, if that's what you mean.

16. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Just butting in to say that given Khan's preference in STID, it's more likely Khan would've crushed Kirk's skull than snapped his neck. :p

If there's any explanation at all for not beaming up Kirk that has an ounce of credibility, I'd say it was Khan's growing increasingly irrational as the movie goes on. Hell, he didn't even really strand him. How could he even think he did? Kirk wasn't missing. Everyone knew where he was. He was beamed there from the Enterprise, for crying out loud.

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

And only a few posts up, I asked that people (including you, by name) stop taking pokes at groups of fans for enjoying something which you may not have enjoyed. You now have a warning for trolling; comments to PM, please.

EDIT:

And BillJ...

Don't be quite so quick to take the bait. Try just ignoring it for a while.

18. Mountie1988

Mountie1988 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ja, first I thought so myself. But I later realized they were nowhere near Kronos, they only augmented a picture of Qu'ono's on their viewscreen and that stellar body you could see near the Enterprise was the little moon where Bones and Carol opened the torpedo

19. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Marcus made it clear they were supposed to hang on the outside of the edge of the Neutral Zone and fire the advanced torpedoes at Khan. That was the whole point, the torps were meant to be long range, untraceable, super torpedoes.

Just rewatched the scene: Kirk tells Marcus that they're on the edge of the Neutral Zone.

20. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Interesting note about Enterprise falling to earth:

Right before, Spock warns the crew to brace for a shock wave from the exploding torpedoes he beamed over to Vengeance.

Could it be, perhaps, it was that shock wave that pushed Enterprise into earth's gravity well causing her into free fall?

Also, did Vengeance crash, or did Khan directly aim Vengeance into earth's atmosphere? It wasn't careening out of control when we see it fly past Enterprise on it's way toward SF. It was taking a straight shot down.