Da Vinci's Demons is Complex.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Guy Gardener, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2094262/?ref_=sr_1

"This upends the balance of Power!"

"No! This decapitates the very concept and shits down it's neck!"

:)

I'm 20 minutes into the pilot, and I've seen 8 people killed horibly and three sets of perfect breasts. There's a healthy wage of politics, swearing, racism, sword fights and it seems a love story, then stunts and drugs... Opium with DS9's Doctor Bashir.

There are worse people in the world to get stoned with.

"She's appealing, I'll grant you that, but I'd rather bed that toothless old hag over there, it takes no great skill to fuck a pretty face, but to bed a truly ugly woman, that actually takes discipline, and let me tell you my friend, done right, a transplendant experience."

A lot is happening, no ones holding their dick, Leo seems to be looking for a more powerful world, we're getting hints about the Illuminati and Vatican conspiracies and the Book of leaves, which means that we're moments away from someone saying "the Holy Grail".

He's talking about making war machines. :)

I wonder if it will look just like a Dalek like CBBC's Leonardo's War machine did look like last year?

Oh, and there's rampant homosexuality. Not love mind you, just rich old men with young boys walking off with a hand full of copper coins. Why on earth invent rich people if there aren't whores to take their money?

More boobs!

And semi famous c-list celebrity boobs.

Laura Haddock.

Not bad. Nice twist at the end unfootting every other buggers standing on the game board.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  2. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I approve!

3. degra

degra Fleet Captain Newbie

I thought the pilot was crap. About on par with Camelot.

4. Guy Gardener

I'm still shaking form the trauma of sitting through Camelot.

5. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Alexander Siddig? Must. See.

6. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Want to see a few more episodes to form an opinion, but having Bear McCreary (nuBSG) provide the soundtrack was definitely a good decision.

7. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

So, it *is* Assassin's Creed Of Thrones, then?

8. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

I believe it is.

The scene where he's in bed with the red head and they go for the nudity shots and she says "F**K ME Da VINCI!" I was like oh, just like all the other period piece shows on pay cable these days.

:rolleyes:

9. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

More like Sherlock DaVinci starring that guy who's no where near Downey's level of acting.

Seriously, they were beating you over the head with how awesome DaVinci was, how he see's the world (which isn't the slow mo of the Sherlock Holmes movies, but slow mo with drawing filter turned on) and catches all those minute details, is a rougish ladies man, and of course a rebel. All the usual cliche's when trying to hard to make the main character "kewl".

Where I knew it was shit: DaVinci and the gang are sitting in a bar and several ruffians are harassing Julian Bashir. DaVinci's crew looks over and says something like "that guys up shit creek" whereupon DaVinci looks perturbed at the unfair odds. He steels his gaze and his friends tell him to let it go and he replies "yeah, that's not gonna happen".

Pretty much that moment.

It's like that scene you've seen in every show, except it just sucked here. Naturally he gets up, has some witty banter, kicks the soldiers ass because he's ambidextrous and makes friends with Bashir. At least he got to smoke some hash.

If they'd just have foregone the cocky, wise ass, route, the show had some interesting elements involving secret societies. Nothing we really haven't seen before, but the millieu is interesting and I haven't played Assasins Creed, so I'm all good for an adventure there.

Hopefully they'll tone down the "look at what Downeys doing as Sherlock Holmes....now do that" stuff. It might even be an interesting diversion week to week.

As it is, I don't have much hope for it.

10. Guy Gardener

What you might not have noticed about those soldiers ragging on Bashir is that they worked for Da Vinci's father. It would be like Luke picking on stormtroopers to piss off his father and less to do with the fact that the stormtroopers are evicting the younglings form an orphanage. Leo felt responsible for his fathers men being assholes and his father being an asshole and how it should be he who breacks the cycle of assholicity as much as the whole Mighty Mouse syndrome at play.

Downey isn't a great actor, Downey is just fantastically charasmatic. When was the last time we saw him in a movie as someone who wasn't fantastically charasmatic? An actor issome one who can assume any role, not some cherry picker who's allowed to be himself in every movie he lands.

(Tropic Thunder? ...He did 18 eisodesof Saturday Night Live in the 80s?)

Robby was good in Iron Man but Iron man was awful, and he was fair in Sherlock Holmes but Sherlock holmes was atrocious.

11. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Ever seen a certain 1992 bio-pic that Downey was in? You might change your mind about him after that. :vulcan:

12. Guy Gardener

Seen it.

Not recently.

Maybe it's not that he can't master everything, it's that no one asks him to do anything but be himself anymore.

It's a pigeon hole.

13. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Pigeon hole or not, he's still a good actor in demand. And also, as for 'playing himself', there are (and were) a lot of actors who've done exactly that in their careers; Downey isn't that different in that regard.

14. Guy Gardener

Tony Stark is just a huge an asshole in the comics, except that he hasn't had a really good drink in almost 20 years.... Well, I suppose he want ballsdeep during the Fear Itself when he didn't want the Dwarfs to think that he was a pussy.

I'd be interested to see how Bob plays the part differently after Movie Stark goes into recovery.

15. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, is it true that they're portraying Da Vinci as some sort of a ladies man? I read the synopsis, double checked and gave up on even trying to watch. Tell me it's not true. What's next, Mahatma Gandhi with a machine gun, yelling "Non-violence, motherfuckers!"

16. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I agree with Guy on Robert Downey Jr. He pretty much plays himself in his movies, but he also has charisma and I think that's what people are drawn to.

As for Da Vinci's Demons, I saw it last night. I actually like the idea of re-imagining Leonardo Da Vinci the way they did, but I didn't like the execution. I thought it was pretty boring and I had a hard time making it through the episode. I don't think I'll be back unless I hear of an interesting development or something. Oh, and the lead reminded me of Captain Hook from Once Upon a Time.

17. Agent Richard07

As I was watching, I thought... I wonder if they can make a show like this about Jesus. :rommie:

18. Guy Gardener

Where JC is a conman and we see him going through the motions creating all the machinery necessary to fake his miracles and reputation?

19. Agent Richard07

Don't know. Couldn't make it work.

20. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral