JMS adapts Ellison's '"Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jan, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Yes, but sales success does not necessarily equate to good writing. Just ask Stephenie Meyer or Dan Brown.

Granted, I haven't read Superman: Earth One so I don't know how good it is (though I've read enough to know that JMS doesn't even seem to know what the term "passive voice" means, which isn't encouraging). But I do know that citing sales figures doesn't count as evidence of quality.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

What he said.

I read it. Didn't like it. Don't care how many copies it sold.

3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

The script for Changeling was great. That movie just needed to be edited down by about 20 minutes.

He also wrote the screenplay for Ninja Assassin and the story for Thor.

4. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I wonder if the adaptation of "Repent..." will attempt to break the "rules of good film making" like the short story deliberately broke the "rules of good writing" --Terry Gilliam to direct? Rebellion is back in vogue so I'm looking forward to something coming out of this.

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Rebellion is back in vogue? Good gravy, I hope that's true.

"Repent, Harlequin" is one of my favorite Ellison stories, probably second only to "The Whimper Of Whipped Dogs." I hope this is good. It's kind of hard to see it stretched out to movie length, though....

6. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just met a man yesterday on first name basis with "Harlan." He said he was a great guy. I said his reputation is not stellar on this board. He reports he is just super-blunt, but will telly you positives to your face too, if you deserve them.

Ok. At least that's first-hand, rather than reading reports of someone else reporting what HE said. And as to "Repent," I think it's one of the most reprinted sf stories. The representative of that new gen of writers HE anthologized in Dangerous Visions.

I'd go see it, that's for sure.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll lay another five that the title does not remain unchanged.

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^That's more or less the impression of the man I've formed based on second, third and fourth hand accounts. Passionate and opinionated, no question, but since when have those been negative qualities for a writer? Sure he seems a little sue happy but from what I can tell, (in most of the cases I've read about) he's had good cause to at least make a case of it.

As for a 'Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman' movie, what do we think the odds are the Robin Williams is in the running for the title role? Hell, he could probably do both.

No bet.

9. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

It's all subjective and open to interpretation, what appeals to the individual reader/viewer. Sales aren't necessarily directly proportional to quality, true. But it's also true that does not hold true for everything. Very often financial success does indicate at least a certain amount of quality. Of course, that brings us full circle to the subjectivity of the question.