Haven

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Willieck, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Willieck

Willieck Commander Red Shirt

Watched this last night. The best part of this is the first appearance of the redoubtable Lwaxana Troi and her valet the wonderful Mr Homn. For me this episode is in two parts. Although unlike some I am a fan of Deanna Troi I thought that this was not one of her better storylines and I thought that Wyatt was a bit of a wuss. She was better off without him.

As always I enjoyed Lwaxana even though she can be just a bit annoying at times. She is either irritating or poignant. I love the bit where she asks Picard to carry her luggage. On the whole more good bits than bad.

2. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

You can see that the writers are still struggling to find their footing, but I do admit that I get a chuckle out of this brilliant, accomplished, professional woman being turned into a stuttering wreck by her mother. Also seeing the always in charge Picard thrown off balance by Lwaxana was fun as well. Great episode? Where most shows have a pilot episode, to me season 1 serves as a whole pilot season. Some very good episodes, some clunkers and some that fall short, without being disasters.

3. vas2009

vas2009 Captain Captain

I just watched that ep. for the first time last night. Is that Armin Shimmermans face in the silver box?

I really got a kick out of this ep. however I thought it was very predictable.

4. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really like this episode, minus the whole "plague ship" element.

As the posters above suggested, Lwaxana Troi is brilliant, and Mr. Homn is a fantastic character. I think of this episode about being any adult's nightmare: your mom shows up and absolutely embarrasses you in front of your boss, your-co-workers, your ex, and your fiancee (and family).

When I DVR this, I usually just watch the Lwaxana scenes. The scene with the "petty bickering" is one of my favorites.

Wyatt's not that bad, either: he's got an understated way about him that contrasts well with Riker. I liked his, "Oh, you're the guy who wants to be a starship captain" line to Riker, which completed deflated all of his ambitions. For Will, this was the pinnacle of existence; for Wyatt, it was just another thing someone could do.

And of course I love "Thank you for the drinks." That line boosted the episode into classic territory for me.

5. ChadHydro

ChadHydro Lieutenant Red Shirt

This episode has always been fairly meh for me. I do enjoy Lwaxana as a character and some of her later TNG eps were often funny. But as it's been said, Wyatt was pretty much a wuss and it makes me cringe throughout the episode.

6. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's worse first season episodes but I don't like this one at all.

7. Willieck

...and those trousers! :rolleyes:

8. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Welcome to the twenty-fourth century, where fashion has been struck deaf, blind, and dumb!

9. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes :)

One of the coolest props ever!

10. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

It is and he is the only reason I bother to even watch this in re-runs.

I hate hate Lwaxana. I didn't find her comedic, I didn't find her engaging, and the fact that she is played by Majel Barrett doesn't sway that.

This episode is before Robert Knepper was cast into every creepy villain role possible and its hard to take him seriously as a romantic lead.

11. Willieck

Danny99 Wrote

[​IMG]:shrug: