TNG fans please identify yourselves ...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Gold Grizzly, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Jewel

Jewel Ensign Red Shirt

Is there another Jewel that posts here??

2. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Outstanding post, Jewel! I couldn't agree more with these sentiments. STAR TREK: The Next Generation is, without a doubt, the finest series in the franchise. When I put this show on, I'm as immersed in it, as if I were in an actual Holodeck. I'm just blown away by TNG and it's always fantastic to me, to see someone as unashamedly enthusiastic about it as yourself. I look forward to your posts and commentaries on these episodes with great interest. Welcome to the boards!

3. T'Polismygirl

T'Polismygirl Ensign Red Shirt

New user to the forums here. Long time TNG fan and glad to be aboard! :bolian:

4. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

Howdy,

New here. 31 year old dude from Canada. My sister forced me to watch Star Trek before I could walk... And now I`m here.

I`m a fan of all trek, however TNG is on its`own level for me. Captain Picard is my favourite. I`m a tea, earl grey, hot drinker because of him.

The social commentary, and excellent dialogue is what appeals to me most. Episodes like measure of a man, or drumhead, I could watch on repeat; really any time where Patrick Stewart gives any sort of impassioned rhetoric. I also quite enjoy Data`s self discovery, and quest to understand humanity. I`m sure when I was a kid though it was the space battles and Deanna`s skirts.

Anyhow, thanks for having me. Looking forward to finally be able to talk about Star Trek with somebody!

5. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Oh, you'll have no difficulty finding people to talk with.

6. medwatt

medwatt Ensign Newbie

I am a relatively new member to this forum and also to Star Trek in general. I'm 22 and have completed a bachelor's in electrical engineering and I've been living in West Africa for the most part of my life.
    As you might have guessed, television shows don't exist here with the exception of a few desultory episodes mostly based on African cultures/traditions interspersed with a lot of black magic (not my cup of tea). It was only with the recent introduction of internet that most people here were given a glimpse of the outside world. Movies are way more popular here as they usually involve a single VHS cassette or CD/DVD.
    It's true that I have missed a lot of good shows but in turn it opens a new vault of unexplored dramas that I can appreciate better at this age than as a child.
    To say the truth, I have always confused Star Trek with Star Wars even though I've never even watched a single Star Wars film. I came to seriously know about Star Trek through the many references on The Big Bang Theory. Given my science background and also being a passionate stargazer and reader of astrophysics that are within my realm of understanding I decided to have a look at Star Trek. In the beginning, I was hesitant whether I wanted to invest the time needed to watch a full series. Because of the recent release of the blu-rays of TNG, I decided to start with that. I was pretty disappointed with a few of the opening episodes of the first season and I almost cast them aside. Then the show started getting more philosophical and with the help of Picard's articulation and Data's innocence I became addicted to the series. I'm presently waiting for the release of the 7th season of TNG because I'm eager to see what DS9 has to offer !

7. GentlemanBob

GentlemanBob Cadet

My name is Bob. I am brand new here, This is my very first post. I'm just a gentleman and nice guy who respects women. My favorite character is Dr Beverly Crusher. I always did like redheads with blue eyes, ever since I saw Teela in He-Man the original series as a kid. As far as guest stars Luxwana Troi. Although I admit I like Vashti too. Picard is quite different than Kirk. I think it was written in his contract that he got to kiss a hot alien babe in every episode. LOL I hope to make a few new friends here. Have a great day, or as Spock would say, "live long and prosper".

8. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hello, I've been posting in "Literature" for a while. Read many novels. But have not really watched TV for around 20 years or more. In Canada too! Now have had Netflix for a while and Netflix recently got TNG (in Canada again). So, watching much TNG for the very first time. Gotten to Season 1, Episode 8 "Justice" and found it very interesting.

However, sending an away team and possible vacationers immediately after a first contact does seem odd from a Prime Directive perspective especially since the inhabitants do not apparently have warp technology. Not unmasking the god(s) as mere creatures and comparing high technology to godlikeness is a step beyond TOS.

I look forward to finishing Season 1 but it may take a while.

I watched TOS when it was on TV and have one BA in Psychology and a second BA in Political Science. And, have a somewhat evangelical religious perspective. I recognize that the prime directive takes evangelization and atheization dimly. Or, is a piquant sense of humour preferred (note some American spellings and some British spellings).

9. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oh, I hasten to add that I do have a DVD/VCR player and have seen all of the DS9 episodes from local library DVDs. Also, I bought all of ENT DVDs though I am only in Season 3 and holding for watching those. Have hardly read any of the books and seen only some of the VOY series. Sorry for double posting. I also have a set of TOS and TAS.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  10. extremedalek

extremedalek Ensign Red Shirt

I'm relatively new around here, and watching TNG on BBC2 throughout the mid-nineties made me into a Star Trek fan. I started with S4, as I'd refused to watch it before then, but my best friend at school kept banging on about it and convinced me to give it a go. I was hooked from the first episode I saw (BOBW part 2). The Enterprise D felt like such a great place to be, and I liked hanging out with the characters. It was a team I would have loved to belong to.

I followed each new iteration of the franchise, and mostly loved it. Star Trek is up there as one of my main "fandoms" (Doctor Who, Bond, Star Wars and Star Trek), but TNG will always be special to me.

11. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Keith1701
    from Warner Robins, Georgia

12. R.Data

R.Data Ensign Red Shirt

I'm new :) My favorite character of all Star Trek is actually Spock, my username is Data because I really understand Data, I have a lot of problems in social skills; Data is my favorite character of TNG anyway and I like Picard too.
    TNG is probably my favorite serie with the TOS.
    The worst episode, IMO, is the first episode, except Q's trial, is awful and I dont'like "Justice" too.
    My favorite episode is "The Measure of a Man", I guess.

13. datalal624

datalal624 Ensign Newbie

Hi, I'm not all that new to the Trek BBS, but I'm new to posting frequently. I grew up in Canada - still live here too. I'll be 30 in a month. Not sure how to feel about that yet...

My family and I discovered that TNG was in fact NOT a bad show and WAS worth watching around the time the 3rd season was being broadcast [I was barely 3 when the pilot premiered, and only about 6 when we started watching the show. Given the low quality of the first season episodes, I'm not surprised that my parents were nonplussed by it].

I remember TNG came on every Thursday at 5, and watching it was my reward for completing my times-table practices. In later years, the reruns would be broadcast on the SPACE channel at about 5 or 6pm, and TNG became a handy salve on any bad day or sick day. I grew up with this show, and while I also watched DS9 and VOY (and even ENT), those shows never impacted my psyche the same way. I mean, my first ever crush on a male character/actor happened on that show. (That's Data/Brent Spiner, in case you're wondering).

My favorite episodes are typically considered TNG classics, such as "Tapestry", "The Measure of a Man", "The Inner Light", "Brothers", "Darmok", "Time's Arrow I and II", "Descent I and II", and some that might not be as highly regarded in general, such as "Pen Pals", "Captain's Holiday", "Ship in a Bottle", and "Data's Day". I even enjoy stinkers such as "The Royale", and ones that are kind of laughable now, such as "Masks".

My favorite characters were usually Data, Picard, Worf and Geordi, and I always liked Q, even when his episodes weren't written so well. I also never hade the same hate-on that most people have for Wesley, but I'll agree that his character is rather a dull one.

I haven't read much of the Star Trek literature out there. I also like watching TOS episodes, and to some degree those of DS9 and VOY as well. ENT as a series has become far less appealing to me than it was 12 years ago.

14. Terran_Empire

Terran_Empire Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

23 year sold from Ottawa, ON. Grew up with TNG, and to a lesser extent DS9 and VOY. A never watched TNG religiously thought and I largely forgot about it when it disappeared from the air...

A few years ago I had gotten into Trek, this time as an adult and was seriously interested in going the full journey. Bought TOS and it's movies (which I've just recently finished) and strangely I feel more connected to Kirk and Bones than the officers and the ship I would come home front school to watch...for now.

I cracked my TNG S1 BR today and watched Encounter at Farpoint, one that I didn't see as a youth, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

"Let's see what's out there..."

I, for one, will.

15. SB118_Laxyn

SB118_Laxyn Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hiya, I am Laxyn and have been TNG fan from the very first Episode, remembering how I ran home from Elementary School to not miss the first minutes of an episode. Re-watching them as an adult made me also see how much I had not understood as a child, but interestingly enough still had loved.

I could not even say who exactly my favourite character is as every single one of them had awesome parts and not so great parts. But I know that Picard will always be 'my Captain'.

Favourite Episodes are many, but a few of them ar Darmok, The Inner light, all of those that feature Q (I love that omnipotent bugger).

While I love Star Trek as a whole, including all series and movies, TNG will always be my favourite.

16. JamesTKolkSB118

JamesTKolkSB118 Ensign Newbie

I'm 33 years old and I've also been a TNG fan from day one. When the show was over, I remember feeling like I was losing contact with part of my family. Tasha's delivery may have been cheesy, but Jean-Luc really was like another father-figure, and he'll always be the best Captain in my eyes. I'm not sure if I have a favorite episode, but I always loved the one where Jean-Luc and Beverly were telepathically linked; it's a shame they didn't get together.

17. May 20

May 20 Consumer of cookies and milk Premium Member

Hi, y'all. My original post is way back on page 2, if anyone cares enough to blow the dust off it. All my reasons for loving TNG are still the same nine (nine!) years later. Anyway, hello.

18. Mr. Data

Mr. Data Ensign Red Shirt

Hello, I'm new and very surprised my name wasn't taken. Fan of tng for a long time, my favorite character is of course Data.

19. number1fan

number1fan Cadet Newbie

Although Dr. Crusher's character wasn't as fully developed as it could have been, I do like her quite a bit - competent, compassionate -a human before a bureaucrat.

20. nonbelligerency

nonbelligerency Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hi Everyone- I am new on here. 34 y/o lifelong Star Trek fan. TOS and TNG are my favorites. DS9 and Voyager are good too. Haven't seen maybe more than an episode of Enterprise.

Loved all of the movies. I don't think there was a bad one- I've seen a lot of criticism of some of them and just don't see it. They're supposed to be that way... it's Star Trek!!

Favorite TNG episodes- The Game, Best of Both Worlds, Genesis, Power Play, Yesterday's Enterprise.

Favorite TOS episodes- Naked Time, City On The Edge Of Forever, Assignment: Earth, Tomorrow Is Yesterday.

I've never been to a convention but would love to go some day.