Looking for a quote from the Great Bird

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by USSPhilippi, Aug 19, 2013.

1. USSPhilippi

USSPhilippi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Good day,

A friend posted on Facebook about today being (what would have been) Gene Roddenberry's 92nd birthday. Which got me to thinking about a quote I've read somewhere, about what Gene hoped others would do with Trek after he was gone. I can't think of the exact wording, so even if it's somewhere on this forum (and I might even have read it here) I don't know what words to search on.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance. LLAP!

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

In one of the old VHS releases (perhaps the color and black & white version of "The Cage"), he says something to the effect of, "Maybe people will some day say, 'That Roddenberry-- he didn't know what he was doing.' And they'll be right." That's my paraphrasing, I don't remember how he exactly phrased it.

3. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

I think he mentions it in an op-ed piece he did back around the time of TNG's debut in either "Time" or "Newsweek." If memory serves, this series of op-eds was solicited from "futurists."

Sir Rhosis

4. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

The question inspired me to take a look at Wikiquote: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Gene_Roddenberry

There are some I totally disagree (I'm not God, but I don't like either living in the company of people that will not assume responsibility for their actions, and, worse, try to make others pay for their mistakes...:rolleyes:), but most are really good, IMHO

@ Sir Rhosis

I like your TOS reviews and comments quite a lot. I constantly find myself in agreement with your conclusions. And it's quite an abundant wealth of precious deleted scenes information I wasn't previously aware of. :techman:

Bob

5. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

^^^Most kind.

Sir Rhosis