Why does the Filet O Fish have cheese?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by sonak, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have never eaten a Filet-O-Fish, nor would I ever, but I don't see the big deal about putting cheese on seafood. I've seen it put on chicken, why not fish?

Now cheese on APPLE PIE, however, that's another matter. :barf:

2. Gaseous Anomaly

Gaseous Anomaly Bonzo Admiral

As far as McDonald's goes the Filet-O-Fish is one of their better sandwiches, as far as the cheese just order it without.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I honestly really liked the Arch Deluxe back in the day.

4. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I've never talked to anyone who didn't like it. Still not sure why it vanished. Too low of a profit margin maybe? Too expensive? I was a kid so I barely remember it other than ordering it every time and giving up the option of getting a kids meal (and a toy!)

5. Trekker4747

I ate almost every night during play practice in high school, or when I stayed after to work on the paper. I think they got rid of it because it was just too expensive to produce vs. how much they were selling. I don't recall what the price-point of it was but it was obviously a bit higher than everything else on their menu. But, man, it really was a good sandwich.

Wikipedia says the failure was a combination of an ill-advised marketing campaign and the burger being too expensive.

6. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

When I used to eat that kind of stuff, I used to like the Filet O' Fish, and I always got it with cheese, and without tartar sauce.

7. Trekker4747

Tartar sauce is a vile abomination that should be considered a substance of torture by the Geneva Convention.

8. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

it's not a big deal, just unusual. As I wrote, other fast food fish sandwiches don't have cheese, and the combination of fried fish and a slice of cheese is just a strange one to me.

Yeah, I've seen people add cheese to a Burger King original chicken or a McD Mcchicken, and that's kind of disgusting, too.

I'm really trying to psych myself into trying a filet o fish, though.

9. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

I can't stand McDonald's, but when I have to eat it, I either go for McNuggets or the filet-o-fish - but never with "cheese."

It's not that I find the combination of fish and cheese strange, it's just that I can't stomach that orange processed vegetable oil stuff.

10. Trekker4747

Yeah, really, calling it "cheese" is unfair to cheese. American "Cheese" I can handle on a burger (but prefer cheddar, swiss) but on anything much else? Oy, it's a chore. Congealed colored vegetable oil with some milk added. Yep, that's "cheese" alright!

11. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I love tartar sauce. Wonderful with battered fish. Steak tartare is fantastic, too. But that's another story.

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

The whole sandwich has a really strange after taste. I worked the closing shift at a Mickey D's when I was 18 (oh to be 18 again....) and we got to split and take home whatever was left unsold. For some reason the Filet O Fish were like gold nuggets the way they'd fight over them which led me to discovering that the Quarter Pounder is an underrated burger.

13. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I worked at McD's in 1977-78, while in high school. I cannot stand tartar sauce, so I would put Mac Sauce [Big Mac's special sauce] on mine. To this day, I still order my occasional Filet-O-Fish that way. :techman: