TMP special longer version.... where to buy legally? (region 1)

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by gastrof, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anyone know where I can legally buy a copy of STAR TREK: The Motion Picture (special longer version) on DVD?

All I can find is the theatrical version, the Director's Edition, and VHS copies of the longer version.

Call me picky, but I'd been hoping for a DVD. :rolleyes:

If anyone has any suggestions...

Thanks.

Seal87 likes this.
  2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I think the Special Longer Version only included some scenes that were used to extend the time for the network broadcast premiere, as there was unfinished footage showing the soundstage walls. Those same scenes may be added features on the Director's Cut.

3. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Special Longer Edition was not released to DVD. VHS is your only legal recourse.

4. Danger Ace

Danger Ace Commander Red Shirt

Other than VHS or maybe Laser Disc, I don't know. But I hope Paramount decides to re-release that along with the extended version of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn.

From memory: the bonus footage in TMP really helped flesh out the story, while the extra minutes in TWOK were just added to an already great motion picture.

No, it wasn't just for time. I believe they aired on ABC and that is important for two reasons: 1) they didn't seem to mind going long with their Sunday night movies back in the day; 2) they, for a period, always strove to make them "events" by doing such things as including extra footage (aside from TMP and TWOK they also did it with Superman: The Movie and maybe others I can't readily recall).

Well, there is always the old recourse of a polite letter-writing campaign - which I have found to have a higher rate of success in these types of matters.

In fact, some years back, I was looking for a Republic chapter-serial from the late-30s/early 40s. I did some online research and got an e-mail address and wrote the company. About six months later it was on the shelf of my local Best Buy.

So, if someone wants to start a petition, I'll gladly sign on. :techman:

Qonundrum likes this.
  5. robau

robau Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Good god there's a LONGER one?

Admiral Archer and ChallengerHK like this.
  6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The SLV is the only version that includes the complete argument between Kirk and McCoy ("And another thing...." "Get out of here, Bones."), isn't it? That's one of my favorite scenes in the whole film. I don't know why the theatrical and DE cuts removed it. It requires no effects, after all...

7. Danger Ace

Yes. Yes, there is. 12 minutes longer I believe.

The added scenes, IIRC, are rough looking - taken literally from the cutting room floor and re-added into the film.

ST:TMP, as originally released, had a runtime of 132 minutes which was the studios' final cut, while, the version with the extra 12 minutes, I believe, represented Robert Wise's final director's cut.

8. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The longer version was the same as the ABC (American) TV version with two differences-

The TV showing was horribly dark. The VHS version corrected that. Also, when Epsilon Nine is monitoring the fight between V'ger and the Klingons, their computer shows the fight on one screen, on the other a printout of the computer's spoken words. An old 4x3 TV picture could only show one screen. ABC showed the computer's words, the home video release showed the screen with the Klingons.

As for "stuff from the cutting room floor" and "unfinished sets", in one extended scene the latter is true...if you notice it. It doesn't stand out (in my opinion). The rest of the extended scenes are screen-worthy in every way. They just make for alternate presentations of scenes.

I never realized the longer version has never come out on DVD. After it was released on VHS it became the only version you could buy. Now the opposite is true? Weird.

9. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Captain Marvel? I still have the 2-cassette VHS. Tossing car engines at bad guys, throwing a dude off a building, turning a machine gun on Thuggees-- crazy stuff. ;)

10. Navigator_NCC2120

Navigator_NCC2120 Captain Captain

My guess would be because it seems disrespectful and it makes Kirk look bad, and it somewhat contradicts the earlier scene in the Transporter Room when McCoy beams aboard and is greeted by Kirk. In this scene in Kirk's quarters, Kirk does not seem to need Bones "Badly!" anymore, for the moment. So, Kirk needs McCoy for the mission, but not for his personal or professional life, until McCoy points out Kirk's obsession with getting command of the Enterprise and commanding the Enterprise.

Link --> http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Motion_Picture

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
    /\

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

But in the theatrical cut, McCoy's opening statement in that argument ("The point, Admiral, is that it's you who's competing") is quite obviously dubbed in. When he says that same line in the SLV (later in the argument), it's "live", as it were. It sounds much more natural in that version.

12. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

:guffaw:

13. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep. VHS may be it. Me, I'm happy with the DVD Director's Edition.

14. Danger Ace

That's probably why I seem to recall it looking out-of-sorts and rough. Good info. :techman:

I didn't notice the unfinished set (Spock exiting the Enterprise to meld with V'ger) on my DVD copy until it was pointed out to me (and I have probably watched the movie somewhere around 75 times since '79).

Opinion: No matter which version is being discussed I liked the TMP, and feel it has gotten a bum rap. Almost like people are overly harsh about it because there is sort of a bandwagon thing going on.

My opinion: the added scenes do a bit more than just providing an "alternate presentation." I seem to recall they justified their inclusion by the positive affect they had on the overall film - to the point where I originally felt TMP would have fared better critically if they'd been there from the start.

Of course, no right or wrong on this point just an alternate recollection and opinion.

Same thing with "The Wrath of Kahn" extended version where I believe it was released on laser disc but, not to my knowledge anyway, DVD.

Eventually someone at Paramount will realize this is a great way to get fans to re-purchase both films (hopefully on Blu-ray ;)).

15. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

The SLV is the one that's been on VHS since At least 1986. it was the one I had for 18 years until I got the 2001 DVD in 2004. Once I noticed the differences, I copied my SLV tape onto a DVD-R. If you want it on DVD, that's the only way you'll get it for now.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think I read somewhere that the scene where Kirk exits the Enterprise couldn't be used in the Directors Cut because they put Shatner in the wrong space suit?

I have the WoK Directors' Edition, which has scenes my old VHS copy didn't. After seeing the film so many times on tape and knowing it backwards, it was quite a pleasent surprise!

17. keel

keel Commander Red Shirt

Not a longer film. They cut 14 minutes from the film and added 12 minutes, eliminating all the long drawn-out footage.

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's a reply that was totally worth the eight year wait.

19. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Sadly still not long enough !
    ;)

20. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

Yes, there was a LaserDisc; I own a copy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.