So, Pulse weapons.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Klingon Empire, Feb 5, 2009.

1. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The phaser effect in TWOK was made up of sort of a pulse effect.

2. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

I can remember at least one instance where hand-held phasers where used like this. In "Arsenal of Freedom" the away team outsmartet a couple drone generations with that ability.
    I'm also pretty sure starfleet officers are trained not to shoot continuing sweeping shots, to avoid devastating the surroundings.
    "Arsenal of Freedom" was just safe uninhabited jungle and therefore save for sweeping.

3. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

FYI Guys, On Intels Trek Site about the Kelvin, I believe it mentions something about different types of phasers, and that the "Pulse" Variety are alot more powerful than the Beam Phasers, but they have both due to the fact that I think the Beam phasers are more accurate or some such.

4. LLAP

LLAP Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

One would expect beam phasers to be more accurate since when the two ships are moving at very high velocities pulse weapons are effected by movement more since you cannot compensate for said movement once it has already been fired. Unless you can compensate somehow. Meh

5. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed.

Whose to say they don't have capability to choose beam or pulse fire? Just because we're only seeing one sort here doesn't mean the other isn't present.

Montgomery Scott, ST 5 TFF: "How many time do I have to tell you? The right tool for the right job!

6. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

what's the problem with pulse weapons?

7. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    And...like Sam Jackson in that other franchise...ain't goin' down like no PUNK.:shifty:

8. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've thought of that too. Hit a line of guys with one squeeze of the trigger. Stun, naturally.

9. Klingon Empire

Klingon Empire Captain Captain

As long as Star Trek never becomes Star Wars, I'll be happy.

10. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And what does that even mean? What would make Trek "go Star Wars"?

Besides, we need to thank the success of SW for TMP and everything afterward.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yup. Trek owes a lot to Star Wars.

12. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

...and vice versa. ;)

13. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

I don't want to see SW like weapons in ST... I don't need to hear Federation ships fire weapons that sound like elves farting.

I don't think ANY sci-fi show or film ever portrayed energy weapons (handheld) correctly... I mean, phasers, blasters, or what have you emit beams that are basically going the speed of light... NOBODY (save maybe, and that's a big maybe, Data) should be able to dodge an energy weapon discharge.

14. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

How do you figure? Trek had a script and a fantastic tech crew ready to go on a feature film just before SW came out. When SW hit, Paramount cancelled the trek movie and tried to do the tv revival thing for a few months. If not for SW, Trek would have been the one to cash in on the huge sf/trek interest of the mid 70s, instead of SW stealing Trek's thunder.

If GL had agreed to hold SW back till xmas 77, things might be very different today. Trek could have already been filming, or at the very least so far along it couldn't be easily cancelled. Plus SW wouldn't have done as well at xmas.

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Well, naturally.

16. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IIRC, plans for a Star Trek show came first, not a feature film. When SW came out and became a smash, the pilot's script was turned into TMP. Had Trek gone down the route of TV show instead of film, there's a decent chance that it would have failed, like Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers at the time.

Besides, prior to that, there wasn't much demand for sci-fi movies anyway. 2001 was more of a critical favorite than a financial smash.

17. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, it would seem odd to me not to have that ability either, esp. since we saw that already in TOS. I seem to recall Defiant being able to do it but I can't remember when.

As for pulse fire vs. beam fire, I've always thought that pulses were stronger but short range, whereas beams could be more accurate with farther range.

18. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    There were plans for a film prior to Star Wars. The cast talked about it on 'Tomorrow' with Tom Snyder in 1976 (youtube link).

19. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

You are incorrect. PLANET OF THE TITANS had Phil Kaufmann as director, Jordan Belson for optical effects, Ken Adam & Derek MEddings (both of Bond fame) for production design and miniatures, and was basically a 'go' project even before having a full script. It was cancelled within a month of SW coming out, and phase 2 arose out of those ashes for a short time.

As for the demand for TREK SF ... you had to be there. the mid 70s had an insane demand for trek (30,000 at a chicago con) and any action adventure film (even of mediocre quality) that came out ahead of SW would have cleaned up like you wouldn't believe.

20. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

That's one effect I thought Babylon 5 always got right. Their energy beams looked ANGRY, they slashed and burned through ships like a welding torch. Star Trek phasers too often looked like a flashlight or a laser pointer or something. :lol: