Grimm - Season 5

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The S5 promo has been released

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EetlICWa2D0[/yt]

Looks like Juliette is really really dead. Also is Trubel going to be a reoccurring character like she was in the first half of S4? Let's hope so.

2. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Juliette is only really, really dead until some gimmick to resurrect her is called for just in time for Sweeps. lol

3. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My hopes for season 5:

No more Juilette. The writers have made that character into a toxic landfill by tossing every noxious trait or storyline they could imagine into her. She's in a far, far better place now (off the show).

More Trubel. Make her a regular. It soothes the sting of having David Giuntoli as the "star" of the show.

No more Royals.

No more pregnancies for Hexenbeists.

More Rosalee and Monroe.

And finally, I'm holding the showrunners to their promise that the keys would be resolved this season.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Most of those sound pretty good. I wouldn't mind more Royals, if they just they just tied more into what was going on with Nick and Co. in Portland. I actually liked the stuff with the Royals for a while, but then it just went off into an annoying mess with all of the stuff with Adalind.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

IT didn't help that they kept switching out the royal in charge like every other week.

6. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

I want more Claire Coffee.

7. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I like her too. Plus more Trubel! :D

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am kind of curious to see what they are going to do with Adalind.

9. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sad to say it but I'm pretty sure I'm done with this show after the butchery they did last year on Juliette. Like an incompetent version of Buffy's Angelus arc, with too many unanswered questions and unexpected/convenient plot twists to make sure she was irredeemable.

It's disappointing because Monroe and Rosalee continue to be awesome, and more Trubel is always good. I'm cool with Nick too. But Adalind should have been written off looooong ago and she's getting off way too easily for what she did to Juliette. If I read about her and Nick becoming some sort of item because of the baby I'll probably puke.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, I'm disinclined to watch any more either. Juliette was one of the few characters I liked, before they ruined her, and now it's down to Monrosalee and Wu (and Bud, and Trubel a little), and they aren't enough anymore to sit through more of Nick and Adalind. And the trailer I saw suggesting that Nick is gonna be all angry and vengeful and dark now is even more of a turnoff. Nick's an unlikeable enough character already.

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Gotta say, not really gonna miss Juliette. She was a non-character for much of her run on the show with the "turning evil" bit the only time she really got developed.

As long as they don't force a pairing between Nick and Adelind, I'm fine with it.

12. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

There was that short window of time when Juliette became a Hexenbiest, and all the other primary and secondary characters became fully aware of everything that was going on. It looked like it was really going to be an effective Wessen-fighting ensemble, and then Juliette went off the reservation and screwed that all up. Sad, really. I am glad she's gone, now, after the character assassination she suffered last season. Moving on!

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I never really had a problem with Juliette, but I don't mind that she's gone.

14. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

5th year? Stop flying, time! :mad:

I bailed on this show a few years ago after initially liking the concept and execution. Lost its novelty.

Probably will feel the same way about Sleepy Hollow unless they recapture the magic somehow.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hm. I was never crazy about the concept and I found the execution mediocre. It was one of those shows I watched more because it was mildly interesting and I hoped it would get better rather than because it really grabbed me. And it never actually got better. There's so much about its premise that has never worked for me and that's just gotten worse over time.

Well, I did initially quite like the subversion of the usual monster-hunter trope -- that most of the monsters weren't really that bad, and that Nick's forebears had arguably been genocidal racists rather than noble champions. I liked the way the first season was going, with Nick establishing himself as a kinder, gentler Grimm, someone who placed his duties as a cop over his questionable heritage as a race-warrior and who took on more of the role of a liaison between human and Wesen, serving as a just peacekeeper for both communities. But that's a thread that kind of got lost in later seasons as the show began to meander in its focus. It never fully came out and confronted the evils of the Grimm legacy, and Nick's growing role as a liaison trusted by the local Wesen community seemed to be forgotten. Even four years in, we still see stories of Wesen in Portland who haven't even heard of the friendly Grimm cop, and that just doesn't make sense. The part that had the most potential was forgotten.

And the more Wesen-of-the-week they've thrown in, the more progressively absurd the premise has gotten. So many people that the characters randomly interact with have turned out to be Wesen -- Nick's captain, his plumber, Juliette's college roommate, almost every homicide suspect or victim Nick and Hank get randomly assigned to -- that by this point, statistically speaking, Wesen would have to constitute the majority of the population, raising the question of why they're even hiding. And why are there so many different species? Why not give us more development of a finite number of Wesen breeds instead of constantly throwing in new, increasingly weird designs? Okay, they've done both of these, but they keep adding more species, some of which are just silly. Also, how come Wu is the only one who had the sense to read through the books in Nick's trailer in advance rather than just waiting until a crime happens and then searching the books for the right species?

And one element that I never liked much was the whole Woge thing, the way all these species of inhuman creature go around hidden in human form 95% of the time and only briefly show their true faces when provoked. That just screams "We don't have a big budget so we're gonna cheat and have our monsters look human most of the time." And the CGI Woge effects have never looked very good.

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

17. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Hmm... They're calling the upcoming season a "reboot". I agree that some of the storylines last season seemed to go nowhere, but calling it a "reboot"? I hope they don't go careening off in too much of a different direction. The keys are definitely...well...key to going forward, and I recall there being talk about revisiting that thread at long last. I think exploring the more esoteric nature of the keys, the origins of why the Wessen are what they are and delving into the ancient feud between them and the Grimms would make for an interesting arc. Hopefully the keys will lead to something down those lines. Wessen of the week stories are getting a bit tired.

They're well-established, they've been around for several years now and they've cut out a lot of the flotsam and gotten the right people on board Team Grimm. It's now time that they need to really start digging into the guts of the mythos now.

18. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

LALALALALALALA SPOILERS CAN'T SEE THEM LALALALALALALALA

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The sad thing about season 4 is that it was the ONLY season the key storyline never moved at all. The keys weren't even seen or even mentioned outside of the opening.

The writers focused so much on ruining Juliette in S4. I'm so glad Trubel was able to get out of town and was able to stay out of nearly that entire storyline.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm glad to see them going back to some of the older stuff like the keys and the map. I really like all of that stuff and was frustrated when it seemed to disappear in favor of all of the Adalind and Juliette crap.