Don't worry about the original time-line, it's fine

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Brutal Strudel, May 31, 2009.

1. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's because Spock and Nero did not travel into their own past. They instead travelled into the past of an alternate universe, much like the Defiant did when it slid out from "The Tholian Web" and into "In a Mirror Darkly." That explains all the implicit pre-existing discrepancies between the new continuity and the old--they were never one and the same to begin with.

Oh, it's quite possible that Spock Prime wasn't the Spock we knew, either. He could be from any of a near-infinitude of universes adjacent to the one we we're familiar with. Remmeber that parallel universe Worf was in for a bit where Data had blue eyes? He could very well be from that one. Or the one where Picard actually could make it to Worf's birthday party. Or the one where the Bajorans are antagonistic toward the Federation. Or the one...

(:hugegrin:)

2. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

keep on truckin'...

:p

3. theFirebottle

theFirebottle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

:bolian: I approve of this post.

4. Odin

Odin Ensign Newbie

my head hurts just thinking about it :confused:

5. Brutal Strudel

Honestly, I didn't know I had it in me. It was fun being that kind of Trekkie again, rather than treating every post I write as if it were a chapter in a frakkin' master's thesis and acting like I'm a TOS purist (I am, you see, but only on Tuesdays).

6. Lt Cmdr Tyler

Lt Cmdr Tyler Lieutenant Red Shirt

Wow! that means that fior every one episode, there are millions of potential alternates.

That means i could potentially watch all new Star Trek episodes everyday for the rest of my life and still not see em all.

Cheers

7. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Who are you and what have you done with Brutal Strudel?

8. Lyon_Wonder

Lyon_Wonder Captain Captain

It’ll be interesting how this will be interpreted in future movies. Say, if Khan is the villain in a sequel, will they stick to the TOS back story of Khan and the Eugenics Wars in the 1990s, or will they be a bit of dialog contradicting that? Then there’s V’Ger, which was created when an advanced robotic civilization encountered the Voyager 6 space probe that Earth launched in the late 20th century of the Prime Universe. If the Abramsverse was already divergent from the Prime Universe well before Nero and the Narada's arrival in 2233, events in Earth’s late 20th century/21st century may have been somewhat different from the Prime Universe too. The Eugenics wars and Khan and the Augments may have either happened later or came about differently and Voyager 6 might have never been launched.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'm hoping we never see a single "remake" of a TOS episode or film.

10. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wish we could get John Titor in here to straighten out all the "single timeline" folks.

Ok... bad example.

11. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

I think we're going to need the combined efforts of Emmett Brown, Quinn Mallory and Sam Beckett, to figure this one out.

12. yenny

yenny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Time line one, the original time line.
    Time line two, Khan win the war.
    Time line three, Nero goes back in time, kill George Kirk, creating the third time line.
    Time line four, Someone goes back in time and stop Nero. But does not save the Captain, causing George Kirk to become Captain Kelvin.
    Time line five. Someone goes back in time. Help the Earth Government in defeating Khan, but fell to capture him. He escape on a stolen Dy-100.

13. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Timeline 6, John Titor stops for a cup of Joe and good old fashioned timeline meddling in the 90s. Contaminates the timeline and causes the creation of Star Trek: Voyager. Khan is temporally nullified out of existence. Earth eventually discovers the Mass Relay at the edge of the system and becomes part of a galactic community.
    Timeline 7, Being nullified makes Khan angry, so he travels back in time and kills JFK. This is our timeline.
    Timeline 8, Same as above, except JFK goes forward in time to assasinate Khan.

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Why do fans come up with there own theories to save the old timeline despite the people saying quite clear that the old timeline has been replaced. It doesn't matter that much because we all know it still happened :p we have the DVD's to prove it :cool: plus the TNG+ timeline could be less unaffected eventually, these things do work themselves out in TREK.

15. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because this "Lucas/RDM/JJ Abrams/X raped my childhood" thing is now the rage among outraged fandom.

Fanatics love playing the martyr.

16. Brutal Strudel

Hey, I'm just having fun here.

17. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Time line?! This is no time to argue about time! We don't have the time. What was I saying?"

-Deanna Troi

:)

18. Brutal Strudel

;)

I suppose, if I had to be analytical, I'd say this: We're very lucky that Star Trek has already established the parallel universe so well within its canon that it actually gives a way to have our canon and reboot it too.

19. theFirebottle

theFirebottle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There's a drawback to this many worlds hypothesis schtick we've got going on here, though...

Yeah. All of that shitty fanfic? It happened. :wtf:

20. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm getting a hostage situation vibe. :shifty:

You are assured your universe fine and well.

Just don't ask to see any recently taken footage, that's all.

In the meantime, we'll just go ahead and implode Vulcan... so you know were not to be screwed with.

Last edited: May 31, 2009