I have an idea for the next Star Trek movie.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by The Rock, Sep 12, 2013.

1. The Rock

The Rock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You know how next year's X-Men: Days of Future Past will have a time travel story involving both the X-Men cast from the first three X-Men movies and the cast from X-Men: First Class?

Well what if they did something kind of similar for the next Trek movie? Where prime Spock somehow finds a way to return to the prime universe, and has to seek out the help of Ambassador Picard to help the nuTrek timeline for something? I don't know what it would be, or how he would find a way back to the prime universe (maybe they would have Q or something). We could see cameos by TNG, DS9, and Voyager regulars.

The main reason why I had this idea is because I wanted to see the TNG crew (as well as the prime timeline) have a proper sendoff since Nemesis was such a poor movie.

What would you think of this?

2. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

This would be the first Trek film, ever, that I would not bother watching. Sorry.

3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No thanks, I'll pass.

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I think "unlikely" covers it pretty well. The TNG crew has already had their sendoff, poor movie or no, and I don't see bringing the TNG/DS9/VOY actors back for cameos as being really workable. The characters might return at some future point, in a re-imagined version of one or more of those shows, but that's probably it.

5. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd rather they simply save up for the day when a very good idea comes along for rebooting TNG era.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This.

7. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I disagree with all replies so far. I think it's a good idea. I enjoyed the Countdown comic quite a bit so why not? A reimagining of the TNG era has just as much chance of being bad.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I like Patrick Stewart as an actor, love his portrayal of Avery Bullock in the animated American Dad! series, but I simply don't need or want to see him as Jean-Luc Picard again on the big or small screen.

Give me another five or ten years and I might be ready for a reboot of TNG with all new actors.

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

10. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Awful, awful idea. Remake "Spock's Brain" instead.

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Pass. TNG is dead and not forgotten but if we see it again it'll be a total reboot.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

My inner supernerd would love to see old and new cross over, but it'd be a bad idea. The TNG/DS9 and VOY casts are too old now and (with a couple of exceptions like Patrick Stewart) they're TV actors anyway, not suited to a big budget blockbuster movie.

For what it's worth, Brent Spiner's plan for a follow-up to Nemesis was a "Justice League of Trek" which would have used time travel to unite characters from all the series' (including snatching Data away from the Scimitar a second before it's destruction) to face a similarly assembled group of Trek villains.

13. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

I've got a better idea: Ensign Janeway travels back in time to reverse World War II, accidentally gets stuck in Abramsverse, strikes an alliance with the Borg to defeat the Klingons by becoming the Borg queen and assimilating the crew of Enterprise D in the future, and Daniels sends Paul McCartney back to the USSR to restore the timeline.

14. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

My heart says yes, but my brain says no.

I can't imagine that being handled well enough to continue to appeal to a wide audience. But I do like what they did in the countdown comics.

15. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sounds like a good idea but I don't see it working. A lot of the actors are older now and it's just a bit too far-reaching to have them make another movie.

Most importantly, I can't imagine the fallout of such a movie. TNG fans would not be happy of the intermixing of the two universes, especially if they updated TNG to have the same aesthetics as the reboot universe.

16. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Complete and utter pass on this.

Time to accept reality; this is Star Trek, now and for a long while. The moviegoers that aren't Trekfans have spoken with their wallets, and they like this movie; they mean a lot than just the fans who don't (or do) love the movie for Paramount and CBS Studios.

A better idea would be to make a movie based on one of the Bantam or Pocket novels (my preferred choice for a new movie story) but that probably won't happen.

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are fans that insist that Spock Prime isn't the same Spock we've seen from "The Cage" through to "Unification" but some other old Spock from a random parallel future. I can already see the posts: Picard didn't reference "The Inner Light", so it can't be him! Sisko never once mentioned the Breen! He's a faaaaaaake! Janeway's chair is upholstered wrongly! LCARS graphics don't animate like that, OMG they don't know anything about Star Trek!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  18. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Imagine what would ensue if Picard and Janeway are on board, but the phrases "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot" and "Coffee. Black" are never uttered. It would be a disaster of unbelievable proportions.

19. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think them uttering it would cause a bigger disaster.

20. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think the general audience liking the new movies is a good argument against having TNG crossovers. The new movies both have spock prime in them and if the audience accepts that, they'll probably accept a TNG character showing up.