Top 10 ALL SERIES

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by BruntFCA, Feb 4, 2013.

1. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

What are your 10 favorite TREK episodes from any series. I'm counting multi-part episodes as one.

1-DS9- In the Pale Moonlight
    2-DS9- Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast
    3-TNG- Q Who?
    4-TOS- Tomorrow Is Yesterday
    5-ENT- Damage
    6-TNG- Tapestry
    7-VOY- Future's End
    8-DS9- Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
    9-TOS- The Enterprise Incident
    10-TOS- The Cage

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I always thought it was a cheat to count a two-parter as one episode. :p

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, especially with season cliffhangers. The writers rarely had a clue how they were going to resolve it until the start of next season's production, and it usually suffered in comparison to the setup.

4. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

I tend to think of two-parters as one complete story in my head. Also I had trouble narrowing my list down to just these 10 so yeah it is a definite cheat.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It probably depends on the two-parter, to some degree. I'd count "The Menagerie" as one story. Ditto VOYAGER's "Future's End."

6. 4Cardassia

4Cardassia Ensign Newbie

I honestly believe that the majority of Star Trek's most gripping, memorable, and thought-provoking episodes have come from Deep Space Nine. That does not mean I am unappreciative of the ground work laid by its predecessors. In fact, I became a Star Trek fan through The Original Series and later The Next Generation. However, DS9 has the record for most masterfully written, acted, and produced hours in the franchise. Here is my personal list of top 10 Star Trek episodes:

1) Tacking Into the Wind (DS9): It amazes me that this episode gets so little recognition. Perhaps it's because "Tacking" gets buried beneath the rest of the Final Chapter arc. Regardless, this is DS9 at its finest and just so happens to be my favorite episode in the franchise. In only forty-five minutes, this episode manages to capture everything that made this show great. Episode highlights include:
    • Damar’s path to redemption. Seeing Damar’s transformation from drunken puppet leader to heroic freedom fighter was one of the most exciting and rewarding storylines the show ever accomplished. Nowhere is this more apparent than in “Tacking Into the Wind,” when Damar is forced to recognize Cardassia’s collective guilt and need to move forward. During the episode’s tension-filled climax, Damar kills the rigid and prejudiced Gul Rusot to protect Kira, symbolically doing away with the old Cardassian ways.
    • Kira leading a Cardassian rebellion. This idea was simply a stroke of genius. Bringing Kira over to assist Damar’s Cardassian terrorist operation brings the Bajoran/Cardassian arc full circle. There’s a delicious sense of irony and poetic justice about having the Cardassians be put in the same position as the Bajorans a decade prior.
    • Odo and Kira’s touching romance. While I was initially unsure about this relationship when it started back in season six, episodes like “Tacking Into the Wind” prove why Odo and Kira have the purest and most touching romance ever shown in Star Trek. By this point, Nana Visitor has already cemented herself as the best actress to ever grace Star Trek. With “Tacking Into the Wind,” she gives perhaps her best performance yet!
    • Ezri’s insightful, yet frank criticism on the state of the Klingon Empire. This is surely Ezri’s finest moment.
    And I can go on and on! Everything– visuals, music, acting, dialogue, and mood– seems to come together here. "Tacking Into the Wind" hangs the fates of entire interstellar civilizations precariously in the balance. Yet while the episode is set against an epic struggle for survival, the real drama remains driven by the characters and their relationships with each other.
    Upon watching episodes like "Tacking Into the Wind," "The Siege of AR-558," "Chimera," and "The Changing Face of Evil," it amazes me that DS9 was able to go out on such a high note. While its contemporary series chugged along in their final seasons, cranking out one rehashed plot line after another, Deep Space Nine was busy introducing new characters, telling daring new stories, and shaking up the status quo. For anyone that needs a reminder about how great DS9 can be, check this episode out again!

2) In the Pale Moonlight (DS9): One of the most controversial episodes in the franchise, "In the Pale Moonlight" does what Deep Space Nine does best: an intense character study and ethical analysis set against a engrossingly rich and complex political backdrop. Avery Brooks is often criticized for his unique acting style, but I think he conveys Sisko's inner confliction and escalating doubt with near perfection. The sense of foreboding throughout is palpable, especially considering that the outcome will have a lasting impact on the entire Star Trek universe. This episode has an intensity that I just never saw in any of the other Star Trek series.

3) Rocks and Shoals (DS9): Once again, Deep Space Nine demonstrates its own unique brand of Star Trek. Though the Dominion War rages, DS9's writers prove that the show's focus remains on its characters, not on space battles and action sequences. Instead, the recent change in status quo during the Occupation arc is used as a means of further exploring the wonderful cast the series has assembled over the past five seasons. Director Mike Vejar provides his usual distinctive visual style which only adds to the emotional weight of the episode. Two separate stories are intertwined in this piece, both equally fascinating. Kira's descent into Dominion compliance coupled with Sisko's realization of the futility of war makes for one terrific hour of television.

4) Yesterday's Enterprise (TNG): This episode proves that TNG can be just as dramatic and compelling as DS9 when it wants to be, albeit without the lasting political consequences. Just like the episodes listed above, one of the primary strengths of "Yesterday's Enterprise" is its attention to detail. The stark militaristic feel of this war weary Starfleet is unsettling and the decision to give Tasha Yar a proper sendoff was a stroke of genius. The intriguing premise and refreshing change in style, not to mention stellar performances by all involved, make this a top contender.

5) The Changing Face of Evil (DS9): "Changing Face" is one roller coaster of an episode that will leave you breathless and cheering for more. It also further demonstrates how sweeping and cinematic the series has become. This is a thrilling hour of television full of ironies and revelations, seamlessly hopping from one storyline to another. What amazes me is that DS9 still manages to pack more character moments than any of its fellow series, despite also baring the weight of the single largest story arc ever conceived for Star Trek. Within the last ten minutes alone, viewers will experience tragic loss, stunning realizations, and an exhilarating new prospect for episodes to come.

6) The Best of Both Worlds (TNG): Star Trek's most shocking cliffhanger, "The Best of Both Worlds" retains its original thrill all these years later through use of a brilliant score, nail-biting tension, and meaty dialogue for nearly all the cast. The Borg are as terrifying as they ever will be and the reveal at the end of "Part I" opens endless possibilities. Though the conclusion to this two-parter may have been less enthralling as the beginning, it has little effect on the overall excitement of this story.

7) Call to Arms (DS9): Like TNG's "The Best of Both Worlds," this installment captures a sense of foreboding and inevitability as the Alpha Quadrant is plunged into chaos. The final act almost manages to surpass "The Best of Both Worlds" in terms of building excitement for the season to come. The problems created in "Call to Arms" seem so insurmountable that it leaves viewers unsure whether the resolution will come by next episode. Though this season finale ends with a Federation defeat, the episode comes off as a triumph in that it opens up endless new opportunities for the show's characters and setting.

8) The Visitor (DS9): Who said this show was only about war and political intrigue? This episode takes an interesting sci-fi idea and combines it with DS9's rich backstory and unique character relationships to make a true classic. “The Visitor” goes to show that high concept science fiction doesn’t have to be riddled with incomprehensible technobabble.

9) The City on the Edge of Forever (TOS): The first Star Trek episode I ever watched, "City" still impacts me as it did all those years ago. Discovery of ancient alien worlds, time travel, romance, social commentary, and a poignant conclusion—everything comes together in this episode to form a TOS classic and fan favorite.

10) The Inner Light (TNG): This episode is one of the highlights of TNG's run and transcends the science-fiction genre. Many praise it as Star Trek's greatest achievement and I certainly can see why. In the end, the haunting music and Patrick Stewart's usual acting talent is all that's needed to convey Picard’s gradual recovery and sense of loss.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  7. Loskene

Loskene Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

1. In the Pale Moonlight / DS9
    2. The Changing Face of Evil /DS9
    3. Paradise Lost / DS9
    4. Best of Both Worlds / TGN
    5. Balance of Terror / TOS
    6. Unification / TGN
    7. What you Leave Behind / DS9
    8. Counterpoint / Voy
    9. Living Witness / Voy
    10. Drumhead / TGN

So many choices.

8. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

In no particular order:

- The Drumhead (TNG)
    - The Pegasus (TNG)
    - The Defector (TNG)
    - Tapestry (TNG)
    - All Good Things (TNG)
    - Emissary (DS9)
    - The Way of the Warrior (DS9)
    - In the Pale Moonlight (DS9)
    - Call to Arms (DS9)
    - Scorpion (VOY)

TOS I've never liked, and Enterprise was poo until its 4th season.

9. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

All Good Things... (TNG)
    The Year of Hell (VOY)
    The Best of Both Worlds (TNG)
    Balance of Terror (TOS)
    Tapestry (TNG)
    Living Witness (VOY)
    Yesterday's Enterprise (TNG)
    In a Mirror, Darkly (ENT)
    Carbon Creek (ENT)
    Hard Time (DS9)

I could probably come up with a different list tomorrow, but this is what occurs to me today.

10. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, my overall list changes, depending on the day. Today, I'm feeling like every series should be represented, so in air date order, it is:
    1. TOS: The City on the Edge of Forever
    2. TOS: The Doomsday Machine
    3. TOS: Journey to Babel
    4. TAS: Yesteryear
    5. TNG: The Offspring
    6. TNG: Sins of the Father
    7. TNG: Darmok
    8. VOY: Real Life
    9. DS9: Far Beyond the Stars
    10. ENT: Horizon

11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

In no particular order, here are ten favorites taken from the various series. I made an effort to spread them out evenly over the first four series.

1) "The Devil in the Dark." (TOS)
    2) "The Trouble with Tribbles." (TOS)
    3) "Journey to Babel." (TOS)
    4) "Measure of a Man" (TNG)
    5) "Yesterday's Enterprise (TNG)
    6) "Duet" (DS9)
    7) "In the Pale Moonlight" (DS9)
    8) "Little Green Men" (DS9)
    9) "Future's End" (VOY)
    10) "Bride of Chaotica" (VOY)

Forgive me, ENTERPRISE fans, but I don't know that series well enough to remember any specific episodes off the top of my head. (I've never written an ENTERPRISE book so I've never had occasion to study it as closely as the others.)

12. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nice post 4Cardassia. "Tacking into the Wind" is also my fave DS9 ep

In no particular order:

1. Tacking Into the Wind-DS9
    2. The Visitor-DS9
    3. In the Pale Moonlight-DS9
    4. The Drumhead-TNG
    5. The Offspring-TNG
    6. City on the Edge of Forever-TOS
    7. Balance of Terror-TOS
    8. The Slaver Weapon-TAS
    9. Yesteryear-TAS
    10.The Defector-TNG

13. garaks the best

garaks the best Lieutenant Red Shirt

There was loads i had to leave off as it was tough to get down to just ten.

1.Waltz (DS9)
    2.in the pale moonlight (DS9)
    3.the siege of arr-558 (DS9)
    4.duet (DS9)
    5.call to arms (DS9)
    6.the way of the warrior (DS9)
    7.the visitor (DS9)
    8.far beyond the stars (DS9)
    9.necessary evil (DS9)
    10.similitude (ENT)

14. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

In alphabetical order because it was tough enough getting down to ten . . .

Amok Time
    Balance Of Terror
    The Corbomite Maneuver
    The City On The Edge Of Forever
    The Enterprise Incident
    Journey To Babel
    Mirror, Mirror
    Tomorrow Is Yesterday
    The Trouble With Tribbles
    Yesteryear

15. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Only ten episodes? How do I even narrow that down?

TNG: Tapestry
    TNG: Best of Both Worlds
    DS9: In The Pale Moonlight
    TNG: The Defector
    DS9: The Siege of AR-558
    TOS: Balance of Terror
    TOS: City On The Edge of Forever
    DS9: Call To Arms
    TNG: The Pegasus
    DS9: Paradise Lost

16. Honorable Ensign

Honorable Ensign Captain Captain

Ah, this was hard!

10. "I, Borg"--TNG
    9. "Lower Decks"--TNG
    8. "Children of Time"--DS9
    7. "Observor Effect"--ENT
    6. "Inner Light"--TNG
    5. "Measure of a Man"--TNG
    4. "City on the Edge of Forever"--TOS
    3. "Duet"--DS9
    2. "All Good Things..."--TNG
    1. "Living Witness"--VOY

I wasn't trying to spread that between the series, but it looks like I ended up with quite a mix anyway.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

A Taste of Armageddon (TOS)
    The Cage (TOS)
    Where Silence Has Lease (TNG)
    Contagion (TNG)
    In the Pale Moonlight (DS9)
    Death Wish (VOY)
    Impulse (ENT)
    The Omega Glory (TOS)
    The Ultimate Computer (TOS)
    Where No One Has Gone Before (TNG)

18. heavy lids

heavy lids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

1.) Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast - DS9
    2.) In Purgatory's Shadow/By Inferno's Light - DS9
    3.) Devil in the Dark - TOS
    4.) Measure of a Man - TNG
    5.) The Best of Both Worlds, pts. I and II - TNG
    6.) Balance of Terror - TOS
    7.) The Drumhead - TNG
    8.) Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges - DS9
    9.) The Defector - TNG
    10.) Once More Unto the Breach - DS9

19. heavy lids

heavy lids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

All great episodes...it's so hard to narrow down your favorites. Enjoyed reading this post.

20. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

TOS: Balance of Terror
    TOS: Journey to Babel

TNG: Best of Both Worlds
    TNG: The Inner Light

DS9: In the Pale Moonlight
    DS9:Trials and Tribblations

VOY: Scorpion
    VOY: Bride of Chaotica

ENT: In a Mirror Darkly
    ENT: Similitude