Latest acquisition!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Therin of Andor, Oct 30, 2012.

1. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

This is the first I've heard of this one. Does anybody have a link for it? I did an Amazon search, and there's nothing.

Edit: Never mind. I found it.

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

All the stories have been available separately as trade collections, in the same page dimensions as each comic mini-series.

3. Paper Moon

Paper Moon Commander Red Shirt

I don't quite understand what you're saying here. Do you mean
    a) that the comics always appeared on pages this small? or
    b) if I want roomier pages on which to view the comics, I should purchase the trade collections?

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Definitely 'b'.

5. Paper Moon

Heh, I figured. That's a shame, because I feel like these could've been a really fun, immersive visual experience. But now it's kinda... cramped. Oh well.

I did indeed get The Body Electric; my thoughts are in the review thread.

I also made my way to a major used bookstore in my area, and picked up Vulcan's Heart and the third Crucible book, mainly because they were good deals. Am setting aside Crucible until I get books one and two, but I've started on Heart and am really liking it! For a roughly fifteen-year-old novel, I've been surprised at how many continuity nods there are, both to the TV series and to later novels. (Of course, its the later novels who referenced Heart, but the end result is the same for me as a reader.)

I have few vices in life, but one of them is Trek, so I do tend to splurge... (though, actually, not really, since a lot of what I buy are older, out-of-print used books; I get new books relatively sparingly these days.)

6. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A pair of new acquisitions today!

[​IMG]

7. Therin of Andor

8. Therin of Andor

9. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Looks pretty much the same as when I was there last month, which is pretty lacking to how it used to look.

Until some when last year, (between May and Feb) they had all the Trek Books spread across three bays of tall book cases.

They now, as you've shown have they spread across two bays of a half height bookcase, pretty much cutting their Trek selection in half.

But, yeah, you are right in that there are quiet a few new releases mixed in with older titles.

I trust you're enjoying your trip to England and the snows not affected your trip too much. Where else in Blighty are you visiting?

10. Therin of Andor

Thanks. A few days of London "snow flurries". Hoping to do a few day trips from here, then off to Paris, Marseille, Nice, back to UK for Glasgow and surrounds.

This is my first trip to UK, but there's so much to take in just in London itself, I haven't really investigated all the places that can be done as day trips yet.

11. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got the new TNG 365 book yesterday. I really like the rare pictures and information about the show's different seasons.I really like this book.:techman:I hope they'll do a book about Deepspace 9.

12. golddragon71

golddragon71 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I Just bought a huge stack of the Bantam Classic Series Star Trek Novels on Ebay
    Mudd's Angel's
    Trek to Madworld
    Spock Messiah!
    Spock Must Die
    Devil World
    The Galactic Whirlpool
    The Starless World
    Planet of Judgement
    Vulcan!
    World Without End
    Price of the Phoenix
    Fate of the Phoenix
    and Perry's Planet
    I'll post pics as each arrives (I bought them separately from each other)

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^The only one you're missing is Death's Angel. Well, that and the two New Voyages anthologies.

14. golddragon71

First Batch is In!
    [​IMG]

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Got:

Star Trek: The Art of the Future
    The Next Generation Technical Manual
    Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise
    The World of Star Trek
    3 volumes of The Best of Trek

All from Half-Price Books, spent about thirty bucks total.

16. golddragon71

Yeah i'm trying to decide which cover to get for Death's Angel
    The Classic Reaper cover or The Kirk vs Redshirt

[​IMG][​IMG]

Reaper is very cool and spooky but Kirk vs Redshirt seems to meld better with the other books in the series as I have them.
    That said...
    The Second batch has arrived
    [​IMG]

I also got Price of the Phoenix but It's a much later edition with Spock and his Romulan girlfriend from The Enterprise Incident on the cover. I'll hold onto it for the time being until i can get a copy with a cover that fits in with the rest.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That looks like it's meant to be Scotty, since he's using some kind of tool. I can't tell what the cover has to do with the book, though. The original cover is much more fitting.

I hate that Galactic Whirlpool cover. It depicts Katwen as a pale blonde even though the novel clearly states that her skin is "a deep chocolate color." Which seems to be a perennial problem for David Gerrold, since the African-American lead characters in his Dingilliad trilogy were rendered as white on all three covers, even though you'd think someone would've pointed out the mistake by the time the second one came along.

Also, why the heck is there a Klingon ship on the monitor? The Klingons aren't involved in the story except for passing references at the start and end (which, come to think of it, must be meant as foreshadowing for "The Trouble With Tribbles," to which Gerrold reportedly intended this book to be an immediate prequel).

In fact, the only decent cover in that lot is the Spock Must Die! one. The creature on the World Without End cover is far more humanoid than the Chatalians, and that archway makes it look like it's about to step aside and show off the next Showcase on The Price is Right. And the other two are just generic, far too bland for the books they contain.

18. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Except for the Grimm Reaper cover, all those are 1985 covers. The Grimm Reaper cover looks like an amalgamation of the 81 cover art with the later 85 logo.

19. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Today I went to one of our local bookstores and found some old TNg novels I bought used Debtor's planet and Grounded. These books are ones I have never read before. Has anyone read these books are the stories interesting. This store alaso sales the news Startrek Counting down to darkness comic books.The art is awell drawn in the 2 comic books I glaned through today.

20. Paper Moon

Got The Stuff of Dreams last night; already read and reviewed! :)