Storage Wars

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

Brandi and Jerrod were only trying to prove a point to Dave that he could be bid up too. I agree that they stopped too soon, and should have bid him up further. They should also stick him with a locker at a high price instead of giving up too soon too. That'd show him.

Brandi's enjoyment of this is what made me truly understand how brilliant and dangerous she was. She's much, much more than a harpie with a smokin' body. That said, I hope she uses that reputation and hot body to play those clowns for all they're worth, including her dolt of a hubby.

2. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So I"m flipping through the channels this morning and on Spike TV I find this show entitled Auction Hunters. Have only seen a few minutes of it so far, but it appears to be the EXACT same format as Storage Wars.

So has anyone else seen this show? Just watching for a few minutes, it comes off as a little less contrived than Storage Wars but I freely admit I haven't seen enough of it to really judge. I'm thinking I don't know which show came first, one seems to be a direct ripoff of the other.

EDIT TO ADD: OK, after watching it longer, I see it's not really the same format. This show focuses on a couple of guys as they travel around from auction to auction, not unlike American Pickers. Then it shows them actually selling the items they've bought.

So far I gotta say I'm enjoying this more. THIS is the format I kept wishing Storage Wars would follow.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

When are these idiots going to learn that there's times when Dave is bidding up a locker to screw you out of money and to just let him get screwed by the high bid?

4. Trekker4747

Thread Necromancy! I've been watching this show again as a new season starts and setting the DVR to record reruns and, again, it somehow is just an interesting show that's fun and interesting to watch. (In spite of the manufactured-ness of it at times.) Of all of the bidders I think Barry is my favorite.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Third season has been somewhat interesting...there seems to be a "new" cast member emerging named Jeff Jared. This has fast become one of my most addicted and favorite shows, I swear, it's probably the most show I will watch re-runs over and over again for. LOL. Barry's my favorite, followed by Brandi and Jarrod and then Darryl and Brandon (who've been having some problems getting along this season).

6. Trekker4747

Yeah, seems like Dave's more in the "back row" this time, maybe his behavior on the show hasn't been good for his business(es)? ;)

7. Admiral_Young

Actually, funny you mentioned Dave, because there was a small segment with him explaining to us that he sold his thrift shop and was looking for a different place, but he was too late (it was supposed to be a "dream location") to get it, someone beat him to the punch. He mentioned taking some losses as well and hasn't really been much on the show this season I don't think.

I get his mentality...the whole serious business gimmick, and I respect his drive and passion for what he does, but really if he wasn't such a dick all the time...but I guess every show needs a villain :)

8. Trekker4747

Yeah, I saw the episode with him looking to buy a new place, or whatever. But considering some of the money we saw him making on the show, including the 30K in party lights/gear he sold, you'd think his financial situation would be better or something. I'm guessing man-purse dude is more the "villain" now as everyone were even rallying with Dave to take Manpurse down.

9. Admiral_Young

Ugh Mark...he's a doofus. The Nintendo episode with him was absolutely hilarious!! Where he thought he had found an original model NES...but turned out to be just a normal regular one, I was laughing with Darryl on that one! I can see why no one likes him on the show. I think they revealed on one of the post season retrospective shows that Barry or Darryl had actually made the most money out of the cast in two seasons. Wikipedia has a list of their earnings to date I believe.

10. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Barry is awesome. He is pretty much how I'd like to be at his age. :lol:

11. Admiral_Young

Barry is basically why I started watching the show in the first place...well him...and Brandi :) Seriously though, Barry is the best thing about "Storage Wars". He oozes coolness!

12. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It just makes me feel sorry for the people who have died or lack the money to pay and have their possessions bought by these creeps.

13. Admiral_Young

Why are they creeps? I have thought about that as well...apparently storage units are abandoned if rent is not paid for three months. That could mean any of number of things. To me that is part of the risk of putting stuff in a storage locker in the first place, I'm pretty sure the original people are well aware of the risks and policies.

14. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

What would you recommend instead?

15. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love this show. Barry is awesome.

Dave was making some noise last season about not resigning for this season if he didn't get what he thought he deserved. Maybe they took him up on that.

16. Admiral_Young

I hadn't heard that about Dave, but it sure does sound like something he would do.

17. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

Or in jail... And, yeah, I don't have a lot of sympathy. Put it in your will! Plus, the vast majority of the stuff is junk anyway.

On a different note: does anyone actually believe Darryl and Brandon are not getting along? That felt like the most contrived "storyline" on the show ever as I was watching.

18. Admiral_Young

I agree it feels contrived. I did laugh I think with last week's episode when Daryl asked him to go with him to the auction only like an episode after supposedly cutting him loose, the expression on Brandon's face was like WTF? Really? LOL.

19. Trekker4747

They're not creeps, many have broad personalities, sure, but creeps?

As much of as an asshole as he is Dave seems to be a businessman who makes a living off of selling second-hand merchandise. Same with Darryl. Brandi and Jerrod are also in business together and actually they seem to have a much larger business than is led on in the show, they have a decent sized consignment shop as well as the Outlaw line of clothing. Then there's Barry who's just an old man out for rare, odd, items and antiques. Someone who seemingly has a good cache of cash.

Besides, if someone put stuff in a storage locker and circumstances led to it going into default for a few months what else is supposed to happen? The locker place has to get the space back in order to use it again and they'd probably prefer to get some of the money they're owed back in the process. Are they supposed to just nicely hand over the stuff to their former client? What would then be the incentive to even pay the rent if you can keep your stuff in there for months, not pay, and get it back?

I recall hearing on this show, too, that someone had seen their family member's stuff on the show as it was a locker they didn't know their deceased family member had, they contacted the show and the locker winner worked with the family to recover some of the more valuable/desired items.

20. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

if you abandon an apartment full of stuff after an certain amount of time the landlord is allowed to sell it in order to cover his losses as well.

Dave must be selling an awfull lot of stuff to be able to maintain that huge building and all that staff. I watched an end of the season interview type of episode and they were saying that auction prices had gone through the roof since the show began. Tons of people showing up at auctions after watching the show thinking they were going to hit gold at every auction.